Sign in to follow this  
Saiyori

Marmino Moss Ball Poisonous?

I have a 12 gallon marineland tank that I am considering putting a goldfish in, but I have a couple of Marmino moss balls from Petsmart that I have been told are poisonous to goldfish. Is this true?

No, it is not true. They aren't poisonous.

However, the goldies will eat the moss balls. And 12 gallons is too small for even one goldfish. You need a minimum of 15-20 gallons per goldfish, with 20 being optimal.

Edited by ChelseaM

If they were poisonous all my fish would be dead. :o

They love to eat them. :teehee

Ah okay, thanks :) The tank housed a single cichlid until this morning when he died inexplicably (not sick or anything, was about a year old) and I was just longing for the goldfish I used to have. Suppose I'll have to wait until I move and can set my 40 back up hehe. Good to know they're not poisonous though, I do love to decorate with them and don't mind them getting munched on from time to time.

Definately not poisonous, lol. I agree with everyone else that has already posted. I would have had a lot of fish pass if they were. Just remember that if your water quality isn't kept pretty clean and balanced, the moss balls will begin to turn yellow and die. Then you'll have pieces of moss everywhere in your tank, and boy, it sucks to have to clean that up :)

Edited by NeonVodka

I've had these moss balls for over a year and they're green as can be. I did have one explode once though, there was moss all over the aquarium. Figured it was seeding but it sure looked funny

I don't think marimos can explode. LOL. :rofl

Your 12 gallon can make a perfect home for a betta though! You even have some room to keep him with tankmates like a few cory catfish. :)

No, they aren't poisonous, and 12 gallons is WAY to small for a goldfish. Like Georgia said, it would be a perfect home for a betta.

Well by explode I meant I looked like it exploded XD There was a big hole in the moss and moss everywhere.

I actually have a betta that lives in a little 3 gallon alone, but was afraid the strong current of the 12 would not be good for him.

Well by explode I meant I looked like it exploded XD There was a big hole in the moss and moss everywhere.

I actually have a betta that lives in a little 3 gallon alone, but was afraid the strong current of the 12 would not be good for him.

I think it would be perfectly fine! Bettas produce a very little bioload, so they don't necessarily need heavy filtration like goldfish. However, this doesn't mean you shouldn't be doing weekly water changes. A 12 gallon is pretty large(for a betta, at least), so I'm sure the current will distribute evenly throughout the tank. If it's still to strong, you can baffle it by attaching a piece of filter floss at the output of the filter. :)

But if you don't want to house a betta in the 12 gallon, that's fine. You could also use it as a hospital\quarantine tank.

Edited by Georgia