Breeding Tubicles

jdjn13

I have just noticed breeding stars on my Sushi's (Calico Oranda) gill cover and pectoral fins. I have only had him about 5 months. This will surely mean he is older than I first thought. At what age do males develop these signs?

I have just noticed breeding stars on my Sushi's (Calico Oranda) gill cover and pectoral fins. I have only had him about 5 months. This will surely mean he is older than I first thought. At what age do males develop these signs?

Since the baby goldfish sold to pet stores are usually around 3mo old (when baby goldies generally lose their fry color), you probably have an 8-9mo old fish, though he could be a bit older depending on where you buy from.

Cool, cheers guys. It's exciting. I guessed that he's a boy when we got him (even though there is no way of telling). Hopefully my lionhead is a girl and we can have some little babies!!

They have just started the spawning ritual!! Turns out Klaus is Klausette and Sushi is her man!! haha! He's not leaving her alone and ramming her quite a lot. She's plumper than usual, is that a sign that she's carrying eggs?

They have just started the spawning ritual!! Turns out Klaus is Klausette and Sushi is her man!! haha! He's not leaving her alone and ramming her quite a lot. She's plumper than usual, is that a sign that she's carrying eggs?

You might want to keep an eye on her and make sure she is okay. I had one female and three boys that were constantly chasing her and pinning her down to the bottom of the tank. She rarely got a long break/rest before it started up again. I couldn't take it anymore and I ended up separating them permanently. If your female fish seems to be getting tired or injured you might want to give her a break and separate them for a bit.