Pearlscale are to chubby!

georgelee92

• Supporter

I hope I don't make anyone mad. But at what point should we stop? We can do a lot with genetics but at what point should it stop. It looks to me that fish like these would live a much lower standard of life. It may just be me but I feel sorry for such fish :(

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I'm a huge fan of small-bellied pearlscales as I just think they look healthier than the huge ones. Ofcourse, they might not actually be healthier just because they've got smaller bellies, but I agree with Daniel E's point and therefore I'd avoid purchasing fish with that aesthetic just in case. It just makes me feel better to not get any fish with extreme characteristics. I would probably pass on fish with too much wen or too large eyes etc for my tastes too. I suppose I just feel more comfortable that way. I've got nothing anything against pronounced aesthetics, but extreme is something I wish to avoid. (which is also why I seem to not like most show-fish much)

Note that this is in no way something I wish to enforce on others. It's just my personal preference so I feel safer with my fishkeeping. Other's are supposed to do what makes them feel safe. :)

Personally even the most extreme pearlscales are less extreme than many brachycephalic dogs and cats (pugs, persians, bulldogs, etc) or dogs bred for their large size or small size. All domestic animals bred for aesthetics can veer towards the extreme, and you often have to look no further than in your home. Too extreme no matter the species will always have severe consequences. That being said these pearlies are such cuties!! I've never had luck with the very round tikus but they're cute none the less.

OMG love them so much. I wish mine was chubby! She's a slender little pearlie :)