Sign in to follow this  
karens

Translucent spots on Blackmoor tail

Thanks dnalex, that's good to know! Yes, Mardel does claim that Maracyn can treat fungus, right on the box. It is likely that my fish had a bacterial infection that looked like a fungal infection; from what I hear it can often be hard to tell the difference and I now know fungal infections usually present secondary to bacterial infections when they do occur.

And yes, I agree completely that good water quality is the best prevention. :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

There are some bacterial infections that look like fungus, such as columnaris. It is sometimes called body/mouth fungus, so they may claim that this treats that.

You are right - the box does say it treats body fungus aka columnaris. However, many stores are advertising it as a fungal and bacterial treatment. How confusing to have the common name for a BACTERIAL infection be "body FUNGUS"! That just strikes me as odd, but I'm sure it's because it looks exactly like fungus growing on the fish.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks Amanda for the water change suggestion.

I've already increased my weekly water change to 50% and I do a gravel vacuum twice a day with an Eheim Quick Vac Pro.

I had my water checked at my LFS a few days ago and they said it was great.

I run my own tests but I have them cross check every so often.

One question about the correct salt percentage. My goldies are in a 45 gal tank.

I've added a tablespoon per 5 gals. Is that about right?

Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen,

There is a link on salt in my signature. :)

How much salt were we aiming for?

Hi Alex,

I had a look at the salt information and realized I need to take the salt content out of my tank for now.

It's been four weeks.

Being bad a math I was looking for the correct dosage for a 45 gal tank at 3%.

Hi Alex,

I had a look at the salt information and realized I need to take the salt content out of my tank for now.

It's been four weeks.

Being bad a math I was looking for the correct dosage for a 45 gal tank at 3%.

Hello,

Before you take the salt out, let's review everything to see if we need to continue or change treatment. Are the spots still there? How much salt is actually in the tank right now?

Hi Alex,

Yes, the spots are still slightly there. Right now, there's 1 teaspoon per 2 gals. Tank 45 gals.

Hi Karen,

The amount is salt isn't going to do much for our purposes. We would really want to bring it to 0.1%, or 1 level teaspoon per gallon, at the very least.

Did you ever treat for flukes? These spots sometimes are associated with that. I am sorry if I am asking questions I've asked before. Please be patient with me and my now forgetful brain. :yikes:rofl

Hi Alex,

I can bring the salt up. I've read that salting a tank for more than four weeks isn't good for the fish. What's your thought?

And no, I haven't treated for flukes. What should I use?

Forgetful? If I don't have it written down it goes in one ear and out the other. No problems!

Hi Alex,

I can bring the salt up. I've read that salting a tank for more than four weeks isn't good for the fish. What's your thought?

And no, I haven't treated for flukes. What should I use?

Forgetful? If I don't have it written down it goes in one ear and out the other. No problems!

Hello, the truth is that goldfish can live in a brackish solution for quite sometime, without ill effects. However, if the salt concentration is not watched and controlled, it can be a (very) harmful thing. That's why we aim for just keep salt in the tank for no more than 4 weeks, although this is not a set rule. :)

In your case, because the amount of salt in the tank has been so low, we basically are calling this a new start, and once you raise it to 0.3%, I don't anticipate that we want to keep it there for longer than two weeks.

We treat flukes with praziquantel, which is available in liquid form as Prazipro, but it also comes as a powder. Whichever one you get is totally fine. :)

Hi Alex,

It's been awhile as I've been out of town with work yet again.

In the mean time, Tish's spots have slowly come back. Not as bad, but back none the less.
After clearing the tank of salt for a few weeks. I've now added 1 rounded teaspoon per 5 gal. in my 45 gal. tank.

I added the Prazi as per the directions last Monday night after my weekly water change.

So far I see a slight improvement.

I've also noticed that both fish's poop is stringy. My LFS says that is a sign of parasites. Your thoughts?

If I don't see further improvement, what would you suggest.

Thank you in advance! Karen

Stringy poop can mean anything from stress to an internal infection. The next time your LFS tells you that, press them as to why parasites would give a fish stringy poop. :rofl

I think you are on the right track. Let's just update and follow up the next few days to see if we need to do something differently. :)

So I've done two treatments of Prazipro over the last two weeks and while there's improvement, the spots on both sides of Tish's tail are still there.

I've just done my weekly 50% water change and added another dose since it seems to be helping but I don't think this is going to completely clear her problem.

She's quite active and is eating well. Any thoughts on where I should go from here?

Thank You!

Wanna try doing salt dips?

A bit late to the party here but I would definitely do a few days break in prazi, a salt dip and then start a new round of prazi. I've had fish that were for some reason more susceptible to flukes than others (most notably my large pearlscale Roos) and I would give her a salt dip any time I saw signs of them, like the spots you are seeing on your fish.

First, thanks so much for the support. I'm quite attached to Tish and want to get these spots healed.

I'll stop with the Prazi for now. Their tank has now had .3% salt in it for two weeks, going into its third with yesterdays water change.

Could I ask for step by step instructions? There seems to be a lot of variation in what I'm reading on salt dips.
Also, should I be keeping the tank at .3% salt?
I'm so worried about her, these spots have been a problem for months now.

SALT DIP
1. dissolve 30 teaspoons salt/gallon of water (30 grams/Liter, or 113.7g/gallon). This concentration is 3%. Let it match the temp/pH of the tank, and make sure to add de-chlorinator. You can also use tank water, but because you are adding a lot of salt per gallon, you will need to heat up the water. Hence, it's crucial that you cool it back down.
2. prepare a holding tank. This is a tank that is pH/temp matched with the main tank, and has been de-chlorinated. This can be a 5 gallon tub, with bubblestone, or something bigger.
3. make sure you have some sort of timer
4. gently lift the fish out of the tank, and place into temp/pH matched salt solution.
5. start timer.
6. if the fish stays continues to stay upright, or tilts over but can get back up, keep him/her in the salt solution for exactly 5 minutes.
7. remove fish from the salt, and place in holding tank. The reason why we do this is to: 1) give the fish a place to recover by him/herself, and 2)to let the fish purge out ammonia/wastes in a place that is not the main tank.
8. if the fish starts to lose balance and cannot get back before the minutes, remove him/her and place in holding tank, as described in #6.
9. after 1-2 hours, the fish can be moved back to the main tank. He/She might still be disoriented, but should be fine.

OK guys, I'm at my wit's end.

The salt bath went fine but didn't put an end to the white spots on my Moore's tail. To date, over the past five months I've tried two courses each of Pimafix, Melafix, API Fungus Cure, PraziPro and Furan 2. I've had my water check repeatedly by my LFS (it's always good). The treatments of PraziPro, Fungus Cure and Furan 2 reduced the spots but didn't eliminate them. Once I clear the water of a treatment, the spots slowly increase. I had a long talk with the manager of the Fish Room at my LFS, he's suggested a few of the treatments I've tried. At this point he's saying that my Moore's immune system just isn't strong enough to clear this issue and to let it run it's course and see if she lives. He spoke of euthanasia as well. I've had Tish for two years now. She came from a horrible tank and it took me months to get her healthy and I'm not about to give up now. She active and eating well. The only other symptom I'm seeing from both of them is stringy poop occasionally. Yesterday I did a 50% water change and put the charcoal in to clear the Furan 2. Tish's tank mate, an Oranda had shown a small fuzzy spot on the tail but it's gone now after the Furan treatment.

I know I sound like a very obsessed, crazy fish lady but I'd like to have her for a long time. HELP!

I think that I agree with taking a break, and then regroup.

Why don't we visit this issue in two weeks, unless so many more spots arise, and unless her behavior changes drastically for the worse.

The reason for the interlude is to let her take a break from treatments. The spots should not be lethal, so the suggestion of euthanasia is a bit much, I think. :o

Well it's been a few weeks and Tish's spots are slowly increasing again and I think the Oranda is starting to show signs of fungus on his wen.
They are acting and eating well.

Any thoughts as to what I can try?

Let's try a full course of Melafix. :)

Will Do!

Please make sure you have sufficient aeration. You could even add more during this time, if you wish. :)