Chemicaless water treatment

Since I began freshwater fishkeeping my dad has taught me to not treat water I use for water changes with chemicals but rather keep tap water out for a few days. He says that way, the additives from the tap water will be released and you will have clean water. I've used this practice for 8 years and haven't had any issues. Is this true? Does anyone else use this practice?

A few people here age their water before use. Many more of us use water conditioner because we either have no place to age water for 75-80%WCs on massive tanks or we just don't want to.

It works to evaporate the chlorine from the water through aging. Since we recommend large water changes and large tanks for goldfish, it can be difficult to age enough water to do a 50% (or more) change. In addition, most people use a treatment that detoxifies ammonia, nitrate and nitrite.

This method of aging water depends on your municipal water department. Here in Toronto they add ammonia at the last stage of water treatment. The ammonia combines with the chlorine, resulting in chloramine. Chloramine is very stable and will not be removed with aging. Chloramine is also deadly to fish. For me and many other city people, we need to add conditioner to our water, because aging water is not sufficient.

unless you are keeping tropical fish, aging water for large water changes is very demanding and constraining. With goldfish, you're better off using a water conditioner like Prime that helps with detoxifying ammonia and nitrite- two things goldfish produce a lot. It's fast and works immediately when it hits the water. Prime converts the ammonia into a safe compound which then is processed by the nitrifying bacteria. It deactivates after 24 hours. In my opinion, I don't think I could live with out Prime, to many members here on the forum, it is a necessity to goldfish keeping. ;)

I agree--if I had to age 80 gal of water in buckets every week I'd never have goldfish LOL! My python is my BFF. ;-) Prime is perfectly safe, not very expensive, lasts a long time, and w/ a water changer, makes the job so much easier. Why make things harder than they have to be? :-)

The only way I can think of to safely remove chloramine a without the use of a water conditioner would be to run the waterr through granulated activated carbon before adding to your tank. That though is also a chemical removal of a different sort.

Back in the day they did not use chloramines to treat water with so your dad was correct in aging water to remove chlorine, there was no treatment needed.

The thing that I have to say is that sometimes "chemicals," "meds," and buzz words like that come up and get viewed as the devil's work.

Don't forget that these are tools, and even "natural" things when used improperly can do great harm.

Everything should only be used when there is need, and appropriately. It's the misuse of things, chemical or not, that gives you problems.

Prime is excellent, ageing water is also OK, but my favourite method is to use a HMA filter. I attach the HMA unit, which looks similar to an RO unit, to my kitchen mixer tap or shower output via a hose. The output from the HMA goes via hose to fill the tank. No more carrying buckets, no more huge containers of water hanging around the house. The HMA dechlorinates, removes chloramine, heavy metals and other nasty things from tap water. This is the unit I have. https://collinswaterproducts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=183&osCsid=3f8a3d1d2040a3f665f51e512922f04f

This is the impressive list of what it removes:

A 5 -Micron Sediment Filter Made of 100% Pure Polypropylene Fibres. Removes Dirt, Sand and Rust.

Stage 2.

A Granular Activated Carbon Filter Composed of High - Performance Activated Carbon. Removes Free Chlorine, Odour, Organic Contaminants, Pesticides and Chemicals.

Stage 3.

A HMA ( coconut , carbon, kdf mix) filter. Removes Chlorine,Chloramine, amonia heavy metals, Trihalomethanes, Pesticides, Volatile Organic Chemicals and 99.95% of Giardia and Cryptosporidium Cysts.

Prime is excellent, ageing water is also OK, but my favourite method is to use a HMA filter. I attach the HMA unit, which looks similar to an RO unit, to my kitchen mixer tap or shower output via a hose. The output from the HMA goes via hose to fill the tank. No more carrying buckets, no more huge containers of water hanging around the house. The HMA dechlorinates, removes chloramine, heavy metals and other nasty things from tap water. This is the unit I have. https://collinswaterproducts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=183&osCsid=3f8a3d1d2040a3f665f51e512922f04f

A 5 -Micron Sediment Filter Made of 100% Pure Polypropylene Fibres. Removes Dirt, Sand and Rust.

That's a brilliant idea , I've seen them but never really thought about them for water changes

Stage 2.

A Granular Activated Carbon Filter Composed of High - Performance Activated Carbon. Removes Free Chlorine, Odour, Organic Contaminants, Pesticides and Chemicals.

Stage 3.

A HMA ( coconut , carbon, kdf mix) filter. Removes Chlorine,Chloramine, amonia heavy metals, Trihalomethanes, Pesticides, Volatile Organic Chemicals and 99.95% of Giardia and Cryptosporidium Cysts.

Stage 2.

Stage 3.

I like it! :D

I bought the HMA when I was keeping discus. I soon began to realise how indispensable it is. I use it on all my tanks now. You just replace the inner filter materials once a year, I think they cost £17 to replace. You could spend that in water conditioner easily. Though I do keep a bottle of Prime in for emergencies.