Aqueon water changer picture on Amazon...

FishWish

I just got a 30 gallon tank from Petco...taking advantage of their dollar per gallon sale. I think this will be a huge upgrade for my 2 fancies who are now in a 5 gallon tank.

Everything is not set up yet, though. I haven't purchased a filter...nor have I decided where to set it up and how I will do water changes.

As for the filter, I was going to go with the Fluval/Aquaclear 70 (300gph)...and also put on the existing filter during transition to help establish the cycle quicker.

As for water changing, I was all set to buy the Aqueon water changer until I saw a picture on Amazon of a blown out hose and the caption saying that 100 gallons of water flooded the floor. Please tell me that this person must have not been attentive during the water change. Couldn't they have turned the faucet off and pulled the hose out of the tank before this much water spilled???

Yes, they could have . . . and should have. :o

I have overfilled mine once. I went to go tell my husband something "quickly", forgot I was filling the tank, and came out to an inch of water on the floor. :yikes My fault, not the water changers! :rofl3

Get one. :D

I love my Aqueon water changer. I do, however, avoid closing the 2nd valve on the siphon end while I have the water running. I think it creates too much pressure which can lead to damage.

Also, another option for your 30 gallon would be to get 2 Fluval / AC 30's with 150GPH each. Put one on each end of the tank. That way you have a more even and gentle circulation throughout the tank. And if one filter stops for some reason, the other will keep the fish and cycle alive. This is what I have and it works really well.

Edited by jmetzger72

Get the water changer! It's worth it. Just don't leave it unattended. I overfilled my tank once because I was multitasking... Lesson learned and I will never do it again. Whenever I am using it my hand is on the hose and my attention is on the tank. This along with making sure all the connections are tight and there are no kinks in the tubing will avoid potential disasters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My python is great! & I agree with what others here have said. If you leave it unattended while the valve is turned off, it can "explode"at the faucet and flood your bathroom/sink area; or if you forget you're filling the tank I guess you could face an overflow. I've never had any problems with mine, and it makes water changes on my 75g sooooooo much easier. Get one!!!

I had my sink plumbing fail using an Aqueon, but it was my fault. I was filling the tank and turned off the valve on the tubing as the tank was about full--and headed for the sink to turn the water off there. But, the water pressure built up before I could get to the sink, and a seal on the sink faucet blew. Take away from this experience was either turn the water off at the sink, or turn the water flow way down when you are close to the top of the tank if you want to turn it off with the tube valve first.

BTW I now have both a Python and an Aqueon currently, and I much prefer the Python. The tubing is both a little bigger and less likely to kink (plus made in the USA, not China). This may make less of a difference on a smaller tank, but on a big tank, the Aqueon is frustrating. Water flow is less and too much water suction makes the tubing suck in on itself and cuts down the flow further.

I have a Python and I love it. But if you get a water changer make sure you have something covering the end. It should be some kind of mesh that will allow the nasty stuff through but not fish... I just had little Cilantro get his head sucked into the water changer.... poor thing.

I love my Aqueon water changer. I do, however, avoid closing the 2nd valve on the siphon end while I have the water running. I think it creates too much pressure which can lead to damage.

The Python also has the 2nd valve thing to stop the water. I only use this in emergencies (such as with Cilantro) I was able to stop the water and get him out of there fast. When I'm filling up I don't stop it using the valve I stop the water at the sink.

These things are amazingly helpful and make WCs a breeze but yes as you can see they need your full attention while in use. My vote is GET ONE!! :D

I have used and owned both the aqueon and the python. My advice, like everyone else's, is to go for the python! I know the aqueon costs less, but the python is more sturdily built IMO. It can take more of a beating, whereas my aqueon's sink part split at the seams after a month of weekly use. The python also comes with a metal sink adaptor, which is much better than the aqueon's plastic one.

I have the lee's brand from pet co/fosters and smith and have had it going on over 4 years now and have only had to replace the sink adapter part once ;)

I couldn't keep fish with out mine (really) and I always do play close attention whenever I am using it ;)

Also, another option for your 30 gallon would be to get 2 Fluval / AC 30's with 150GPH each. Put one on each end of the tank. That way you have a more even and gentle circulation throughout the tank. And if one filter stops for some reason, the other will keep the fish and cycle alive. This is what I have and it works really well.

I like the idea of having 2 smaller filters...don't know why I haven't thought of this...

I seem to be smarter in other areas of my life...LOL! :rofl2

I like the idea of having 2 smaller filters...don't know why I haven't thought of this...

You're not alone. I was actually in the same situation you are now- I was upgrading from a 5 gal to a 29 gal for my 2 commons. When I started out, I bought everything hastily without doing proper research and checking prices. I bought an API Master test kit at Petsmart for $32 when they had it on Amazon for $15. :doh11: I have to admit the two AC 30's is a really good idea too. I wish I'd thought of that. :rofl Good luck with everything!

Amazon has great deals on these filters!