Irresponsible Mother Sucked Out My Goldfish Eye What Do I Do

Dennis

I just got back from hospital and wanted to do a water change but my mother insisted and she ruined my goldfish's eye what do I do it's just poking out do I cut it out there is no vet near my hoouse who knows how to deal with this

tumblr_mtb8mkj2XV1s2zqqbo2_1280.pngtumblr_mtb8mkj2XV1s2zqqbo1_1280.png

Edited by dnalex

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have access to yellow powder antibiotic? If so, try to get some but don't use it until we've talked it through.

For now, let's isolate him into a 40L/10 gallon hospital tank, do 100% WCs daily, and salt (additive free sodium chloride) to 0.3%.

As an aside, I understand that this is an upsetting and urgent situation, but please do not use all caps in titles and posts. It is not permitted, and it makes it very difficult to read. Thank you.

• Supporter

Dennis,

the first thing to do is relax and don't be so hard on your mother. take a look around the forums, you will find that it is a very easy accident to happen.

do you have a 10 gallon emergency tank or food safe tub?

• Supporter

also, going by the second picture.. once you are calm and ready for some very simple instructions that we can help you with. we might just be able to save the eye. 'might'... no guarantees, but we will certainly try to restore your fish's health, with or without the eye.

Ok, I am calm now. I don't have any access to a lot of the medication for fish because I live in Thailand, so something just simple you can find around the house is good, thank you

• Supporter

what about a food safe tub? they are relatively inexpensive to buy.. if you have a supermarket, hardware store or clearance centre near you, perhaps you can pick one up? they are normally sold as food storage tubs and can be purchased cheaply in large sizes.

some of the meds need to treat only the affected fish. exposing more for no reason at all, might cause healthy fish problems they never had before.

• Supporter

no, no cutting. you will personally not be handling the eye at all. there is no reason to. it looks like we may be able to encourage the fluids to go back into the eye, hopefully. I don't see any tears or cuts or splits to the skin around the eye. there is no blood oozing from it, right? it's currently just a bubble? please confirm.

it is very important that we learn how big the food storage tub is. accuracy means everything to the amount of meds we have to put in there. do you have a spare air pump and air stone?

No tears/spits/or cuts around the eye, and no blood oozing out of it.

The biggest i have right now is a 2.6 gallon tub, no extra pump or air stone

What do you mean by encourage the eye to go back in? Will the eyes sink back into the socket? But not fully right?

Edited by Dennis

• Supporter

the tub is too small. I would seriously like you to consider buying a suitable food safe tub. we cannot medicate without something at least 8 gallons, preferably 10 gallons and a working air pump and air stone.

until we can arrange a make shift hospital environment for your fish, we cannot begin.

yes, I am hoping that a particular treatment will allow that bubble sac's fluids to be drawn back into the fish and the eye pulled back into position. however, as soon as you can get the equipment, we can start.

please update us when you're ready.

You are in good hands here, I hope you can find a tub for him and get him back to health, two eyes or one! He's a beautiful fish.

I'm just going to have to keep him in his current tank and rely on pristine water conditions. I just got back from surgery yesterday and I'm in no condition to go out. And I can't ask my mother to buy these things for me since she's really angry that I am more concerned about the goldfish than I am about myself.

I just did a 80% water change and will do this daily to keep pristine water conditions. Hopefully the eye reclines slowly, or falls out on it's own.

Right now he's having some problems with navigating properly, he sees the food but doesn't eat in the right spot and takes him a few tries before he eats the pellets (sinking and soaked for a few minutes)

Here are some photos from today:

Also, should I remove the fake plant? It's soft, but could do some damage. Or should I leave it in so they feel more secure?

tumblr_mtd963TreA1s2zqqbo3_1280.pngtumblr_mtd963TreA1s2zqqbo6_1280.pngtumblr_mtd963TreA1s2zqqbo8_1280.pngtumblr_mtd963TreA1s2zqqbo9_1280.pngtumblr_mtd963TreA1s2zqqbo5_1280.png

Edited by Dennis

• Supporter

i'm sorry, I hope things improve.

if you're going to be in the game of goldfish keeping, please understand, it is very usual that they fall ill. you need to be prepared for times like these. a simple 10 gallon food safe tub/tank with an additional air pump & disc. a basic requirement to be able to treat.

good luck :)

i'm sorry, I hope things improve.

if you're going to be in the game of goldfish keeping, please understand, it is very usual that they fall ill. you need to be prepared for times like these. a simple 10 gallon food safe tub/tank with an additional air pump & disc. a basic requirement to be able to treat.

good luck :)

Hi Helen, I will buy these things once I get to my dorm room. I understand they get ill and need to be quarantined. I just can't do it right now because of my mother.

Assuming things are alright, how long do you estimate the eye returns to normal?

• Supporter

there is no saying, hun.. without the treatments, he may lose it all together. only time will tell the outcome of his injury and as wether a secondary infection will present because it's left untreated.

an injury like this which is left untreated can go horribly wrong. I hope it all works good for your fish,.

Come on Dennis, think! What else do you have you can put the fish in? 5 gallon bucket? Storage tub? Big plant pot? Large trash can? Big cooler? I know it stinks you are laid up right now. Just trying to help you think of things. Keep searching the internet. There are people out there who will help you. I would if I knew how.

Dennis,

I think it would be a good idea to explain to your mother the gravity of this situation. This fish has an eye that is just hanging outside of its socket. A human being (or dog, or cat) with this issue would be in immediate danger, correct? So is the fish. He could lose his eye, or even his life.

This fish requires immediate treatment to insure its survival. Doing everything possible to save the fish is something a fishkeeper, by assuming responsibility for the fish under their care, is obligated to do.

I hope your mother can understand this. And I hope treatment goes well.

Hi Dennis,

I hope you are doing a little bit better today for just getting out of the hospital.

DieselPlower thought out of the box and had some great suggestions. Perhaps you have one of those items. If you have two air stones in your current tank perhaps you can use one of them for your telescoped fish. I do hope he will be okay.

Hi everyone, would a salt treatment be ok? Starting with 0.1% aquarium salt and working my way up to 0.3%?

On the way back from check up I stopped at the super market and got a 20 gallon tub, and stopped at the fish store and got an air stone and pump and some aquarium salt. I just started off with the 0.1% salt treatment.

Is there anything else I should do?

Today Alfred has some minor bleeding in his eye, no blood is leaking into the water, it's just in his eye ball near the pupil. I will take some photos later.

Edited by Dennis

• Supporter

and since you have commenced treating with something, please answer all the questions below :)

This forum is for goldfish in need of help or just general disease discussion.
Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • * How often do you change the water and how much?
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often?
  • * Any new fish added to the tank?
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?