Sign in to follow this  
tithra

Help...scared to fill up 75 gallon

Hey guys. So as some of you know I recently got a 75 gallon tank. I have been working on setting it up all day and am to the point of filling it, but I am really nervous to do so.

1) where the tank is is not even close to level. I bought a large level and 2 packs of shims and have shimmed the tank (to the best of my ability) so that it is as level as I think is possible. It is not totally perfect on one side (the bubble leans ever so slightly to one side in the middle of the two black bars). I had to use a lot of shims to get this close (the front right has 3 shims sitting on top of one another to get it level)

2) I found a small hairline crack in the front bottom of the tank close to the silicone but not touching. It is about as big as my fingernail. It feels like a surface crack (not deep). I thought it was stray silicone initially, but when I touch it I can feel that it is a small crack. This worries me a lot :(

I'm not sure what to do. I am nervous about the fact that I had to use so many shims to level the tank and now there is this little crack in the bottom. I have never had a tank this big and it seems scary to have this much water in my house! :yikes

Thoughts?

I probably wouldn't fill it with a crack in it, no matter how small.

When you level it, could you somehow level the stand vs the tank? As in, put the shims on the floor under the stand? :idont

I would be tempted to put a piece of plywood under the tank and the shim under the plywood. That would help distribute the force better. Shims are usually not meant to bear weight so they will probably crush under that much weight.

I know this might sound crazy, but I got a large tank recently and I thought there were two little cracks in the bottom. Because when I looked at them and felt them, it felt JUST like a crack. Try and scratch it reallllly hard with your fingernail, if it comes off then it's what happened to me. If it doesn't, I'm sorry :( I would double check just to make sure!

I probably wouldn't fill it with a crack in it, no matter how small.

When you level it, could you somehow level the stand vs the tank? As in, put the shims on the floor under the stand? :idont

I did put the shims under the stand not the tank :P

I would be tempted to put a piece of plywood under the tank and the shim under the plywood. That would help distribute the force better. Shims are usually not meant to bear weight so they will probably crush under that much weight.

okay, good to know.... sigh, not what I wanted to hear, but food for thought.

What about the grey composite shims they sell that are for commercial use? I wonder if those would be a bit more sturdy.

The tank is new, so I think you should exchange it. It's not worth the potential disaster.

As for the stand, I'm not so worried about the shims as the thought that the stand is wobbly. If it is, I would secure it to the wall, which is easy to do. I started securing big pieces of furniture when we had our first child, but now I do it because I like that it makes furniture more steady. My tall bookcases and china cabinets all are secured.

7916696468_1365467ed9_b.jpg

Here's an L bracket to L bracket, tied with a zip tie (those things are strong!).

Edited by ShawneeRiver

The tank is new, so I think you should exchange it. It's not worth the potential disaster.

As for the stand, I'm not so worried about the shims as the thought that the stand is wobbly. If it is, I would secure it to the wall, which is easy to do. I started securing big pieces of furniture when we had our first child, but now I do it because I like that it makes furniture more steady. My tall bookcases and china cabinets all are secured.

7916696468_1365467ed9_b.jpg

the stand doesn't feel wobbly, I put shims in all areas that there was a gap between the floor and stand, so it feels stable enough.

this was the only 75 gallon petsmart has had :( I guess I will call them tomorrow and see what they can do, if anything considering it has already been nearly 2 weeks since I bought it. This is such a bummer.

Oh jeeze :(

I'm sorry. I hope they will replace it for you without any issue (or wait). Best to play it safe, I think. :idont

If they won't replace it, you can always fill it up outside, and let it sit for a few weeks. Just to see if it holds. :( I hope they'll replace it for you.

They will replace it. It's only been 2 weeks. Tell them the truth--you bought it, went on vacation, returned today and noticed the crack and never put water in it. . They should not have a problem replacing it or even refunding you if they dont' have anymore.

Not sure about the crack, but completely understand the worry about water weight. My tank is 450litres (118 gallons), essentially bigger than a bath tub, and filling it up for the first time was totally nerve wracking, especially given my house is old and the floor is somewhat rickety!

My dad is in the construction industry so he lent me a special laser pointer and advised that I fill it up slowly with the using the laser pointer to identify whether the tank / floor moves at all as the weight increases. You could this with any old laser pointer, just secure on top of the tank, make a small pencil mark on the wall where the laser beam falls, and watch carefully to make sure the laser doesn't move as you fill up the tank (and stop immediately if it does!)

I would absolutely insist that they replace it. Cracks tend to get worse with pressure.

here's a question.... how do you tell the difference between a scratch and a crack?

here's a question.... how do you tell the difference between a scratch and a crack?

A scratch should only be on one side of the glass. Can you tell if it is on both sides?

Did you run your finger nail on it? Scratch at it on both sides, if you can only feel it on one side it's most likely a scratch.

According to custom aquarium builders cracks tend to only be near edges of aquarium panes and excess silicone can feel and look just like cracks and also cracks tend to be on both sides of the pane wereas scratches are only on one side

Edit : double sniped :D

Edited by Gustave

Disagree. My windshield has huge cracks felt only on one side.

My dad who used to work on cars said that most garages would consider that a chip

Disagree. My windshield has huge cracks felt only on one side.

Rule number one when it comes to cars... Never believe anyone who works on cars.

The crack goes from one side to the other. Not a chip.

A scratch should only be on one side of the glass. Can you tell if it is on both sides?

It does not go all the way through the glass, it can only be felt on one side (the inside)

Did you run your finger nail on it? Scratch at it on both sides, if you can only feel it on one side it's most likely a scratch.

I did run my fingernail on it, it is detectable with my fingernail, but not on both sides.

According to custom aquarium builders cracks tend to only be near edges of aquarium panes and excess silicone can feel and look just like cracks and also cracks tend to be on both sides of the pane wereas scratches are only on one side

Edit : double sniped :D

It is definitely not excess silicone. It is maybe 1-1.5 inches away from the inner silicone edging.

This is making me sad. I hope you get your tank set up soon, Jess. What a bummer.

Then I would say...when in doubt...return it :(

I completely agree. I wouldn't mess with it since it's brand new.

It's not exactly convenient. I would probably call the store ahead of time to make sure they have another one. :idont

Do you have the receipt? What fantailfan said, and I think you can return within a month. They can exchange or give you store credit..maybe order a new one in or direct you to another psmart that has it in stock? It's not too late, take action! If that doesn't work I vote filling it up outside and the laser pointer idea.

Jess, you deserve a perfect tank. There is no reason to settle for less than what you paid for. You will be happier and feel safer in the end.