Sign in to follow this  
Mikey

Easy Water Change :)

The 264 has a maximum head of 4.6 ft. That means that if the outlet of the hose is more than 4.6 feet above the surface of the water the maximum flow rate is 0 gph. The relationship between the flow rate and head is linear, so with a head of three feet under otherwise ideal conditions, the pump rate should be ~92 gph.

Now if you pump your water to a shower drain or out the window, with the end of the hose lower than the tank, gravity helps the pump, and your pumping rate may be higher than 264 gph.

You need at least a 600 gph pump to get up a flight of stairs.

If you really want rapid pumping or want to take water upstairs, you should look into a sump pump. I wouldn't put one of these into a fish tank, but if you siphoned into a tub, a sump tub in the tub would take the water wherever you wanted it very fast.

Thank you for laying that out in the way I was trying to state it. :)

I finally bought the pump! Now I just need to find a place that sells some tube for it.

The pump came with 3 adapters to attatch the hose, what size adapter should I use so I know what size of tube to buy? It came with 5/16 inch, 1/2 inch, and 3/4 inch adapters.

I use whatever the size one connects to the python tube. :)

Make sure the water splashes around so it can de-gas.

Take the adapters to Lowes/HD, go to the pond department and check the adapters to the hose. You should find at least one hose that fits. You can also go to the plumbing department and check the tubing there. Then check the drip irrigation materials right by plumbing. They have some "1/2 inch" tubing that may fit one of the adapters and is very cheap.

You have to test. Matching the stated size of the tubing to the stated size of the adapter simply will not work. You want the barb to go into the tubing with some difficulty when you test it. When you actually attach the hose on the barb, you will first warm the hose in hot water to soften it. Push it on as far as it goes and when it cools the fit will be very tight.

Edited by shakaho

Just an update :) Instead of the flower pot and plate, I have now just been using a big office clip to clamp the hose to the side of the tank and I am making sure the tube is always above the water and splashing into the tank to prevent gas bubble disease.

Mikey, I recently got the pump and wanted to ask a question.

I wasn't expecting all the extra pieces that came with it :hide: am I supposed to use any of them?  :yikes If so, which one(s)?

Mikey, I recently got the pump and wanted to ask a question.

I wasn't expecting all the extra pieces that came with it :hide: am I supposed to use any of them? :yikes If so, which one(s)?

i am actually going to be buying a bigger pump soon :o it just doesn't fill/drain fast enough for me haha but if you don't mind the go ahead and keep it :nana. I used only one of them. Take your hose and it's one of the "barbed" ones. Make sure the Bose fits nicely on it and then that's all you need :)

Thank you Mikey! :bighug

At the moment all my back cares about is not having to lug buckets! ;)

By the way, Harbour Freight has a 20% off coupon right now. 

Good to know!! Thanks!!! :D:nana

Omg, Mikey! That was the EASIEST thing EVER! Thank you SOOoooooo Much!  :hi5 It seriously only took about 10-15 minutes to empty the 75(about 80%) Filling now, so not sure how long it'll take to fill.  I'm getting another one ASAP for Jujubes 20L!   :thumb:

Ok, it took about an hour, but it was only my first time, I got jacked up for a good 10-15 during the switch. Plus, for some reason, I got it into my head I could do a big wc on the 20 at the same time as the 75 was filling. So, both tanks in an hour is a record! 

That's great!!!!! :nana :nana

That is awesome.  What a smarty pants. :)   I loved what you did Mikey.  I even loved your photo's more with you explaining it all. (which reminds me,   it's been awhile since I've cked out that one thread.  Remember? )   And wait, you forgot to mention that you have to plug in the pump.  Great Idea.  I'm keeping this in the back of my mind/brain.  ha ha

California is having such a dry spell/drought and it has been so darn HoT. I've been feeling really bad about just using my aqueon w/c so today I finally looked up this website and I was pleasantly surprised I have three of these stores all within a half hour from where I live. I called one of the local numbers and told the gentleman what I was interested in and he is going to email me OR mail me a 20% coupon. (I'm assuming for anything to purchase) So, I'll be buying one of these Harbor Freight pumps sometime soon. (A year later from your thread though. Better late than not at all. hehehe)

I just found this thread and am thinking of the same thing! I am still using my Python to do water changes but I feel terrible every time I do since I'm basically using double water to do the water changes when we have a drought in California currently. This is a great idea that I might look and invest into!

How long does it take?

like 40+ minutes to fill and about 20-30 minutes to drain. I just want it to be quicker because I am always busy and want it done as quick as possible lol

I'm kind of thinking now, again, to go for the 620gph. I'll have to ask the employee if it's too much/fast if I'll be able to exchange for the 320 then.

Did you end up using the 620? Hopefully you found the tubing for it. I would love to see how it worked out for you since I might be thinking of doing this method of water changes as well! 

Jelly, did you see if you were able to stat draining, then turn off the water and see if it continues? Or do you have a low drain you can just drain the tank into? It's not generally necessary to use the Python attached to the sink for draining. Down the bathtub or shower drain or out a window into the garden is just fine too.

Jelly, did you see if you were able to stat draining, then turn off the water and see if it continues? Or do you have a low drain you can just drain the tank into? It's not generally necessary to use the Python attached to the sink for draining. Down the bathtub or shower drain or out a window into the garden is just fine too.

I do try to turn it off after I sucked up all the stool at the bottom but it's very very slow and eventually it will stop. Unfortunately, all my window have screens so I can't put it out the window and other rooms/places are too far for my hose x.x 

I do try to turn it off after I sucked up all the stool at the bottom but it's very very slow and eventually it will stop. Unfortunately, all my window have screens so I can't put it out the window and other rooms/places are too far for my hose x.x 

The pumps that most of us use will push water and not pull it, so be aware that you may still need to use the faucet to suck up the poop.

I have a Python, & I don't hook it to a faucet to drain my tank - I get it going by shaking the tube a few times while keeping the hose level enough to get a little water in the line, then laying the hose down to the ground - my Python hose is laid to go out my back door & on to some flower bushes in our back yard. I vacuum a while, then fit a "claw" on the end to make it fish safe, & make sure to prop the tank lid on it to hold the end up a few inches so it can't drain all the water out. It takes about 35 min. to drain 90-95% of 75 gallons.

The pumps that most of us use will push water and not pull it, so be aware that you may still need to use the faucet to suck up the poop.

Or you can simply siphon the poop into a bucket and water your plants with it.

I think the goal was getting away from lifting buckets, though...

That is awesome.  What a smarty pants. :)   I loved what you did Mikey.  I even loved your photo's more with you explaining it all. (which reminds me,   it's been awhile since I've cked out that one thread.  Remember? )   And wait, you forgot to mention that you have to plug in the pump.  Great Idea.  I'm keeping this in the back of my mind/brain.  ha ha

California is having such a dry spell/drought and it has been so darn HoT. I've been feeling really bad about just using my aqueon w/c so today I finally looked up this website and I was pleasantly surprised I have three of these stores all within a half hour from where I live. I called one of the local numbers and told the gentleman what I was interested in and he is going to email me OR mail me a 20% coupon. (I'm assuming for anything to purchase) So, I'll be buying one of these Harbor Freight pumps sometime soon. (A year later from your thread though. Better late than not at all. hehehe)

I just found this thread and am thinking of the same thing! I am still using my Python to do water changes but I feel terrible every time I do since I'm basically using double water to do the water changes when we have a drought in California currently. This is a great idea that I might look and invest into!

How long does it take?

like 40+ minutes to fill and about 20-30 minutes to drain. I just want it to be quicker because I am always busy and want it done as quick as possible lol

I'm kind of thinking now, again, to go for the 620gph. I'll have to ask the employee if it's too much/fast if I'll be able to exchange for the 320 then.

Did you end up using the 620? Hopefully you found the tubing for it. I would love to see how it worked out for you since I might be thinking of doing this method of water changes as well!

You may want to check this out. The video was shot by a (former?) member of this formum. All comes very well explained.

If you need to siphon more than a gallon of water to get the poop out of the bottom of the tank, you need to cut back on feeding.  I don't know what to say if you can't carry a gallon of water.  

If you need to siphon more than a gallon of water to get the poop out of the bottom of the tank, you need to cut back on feeding.  I don't know what to say if you can't carry a gallon of water.  

It's hard. Neither of my parents are able to lift a gallon of milk or more due to spinal issues. I don't envy anyone who has that problem. :(

Anyway, I would see not needing to siphon more than a gallon in a smaller tank, like a 40B, but in a larger tank with more area to vacuum you will wind up with quite a bit more water coming out. The longer you're standing there vacuuming, the more water you're pulling out regardless of how much poop you're actually getting.

Edited by ChelseaM

I only hook the Python to the faucet to refill!  I use it as a syphon to remove water....first I run it through the gravel & whenever to get poop & "whatever" outta there then I put on The Claw & remove whatever amount of water.....which I run out the front door into mu flower bed!!  I never have excessive Poop though!!! Then I hook the Python to the kitchen sink & refill!!  It is my weekly process!

I saw a video about this pump.  I am still new to all of this so I am just getting down the basics.  I only have 1 medium Oranda in a 55 gal... so not much poop.  I use a 5 ft syphon into a bucket to get up the minimal poop and the python for my 50% water changes.  I too am not fond of wasting water either and will look closer at this down the road.  Great thread here.