Sign in to follow this  
Mikey

Easy Water Change :)

If you buy that pump from harbor freight it will come with multiple sized connections for the most popular tubing diameters :)

If you buy that pump from harbor freight it will come with multiple sized connections for the most popular tubing diameters :)

Oh ok, awesome! Thanks for letting me know. I think I'm going to go for it. :)

Great idea, Mikey! :)

How do you suck up all the poop and debris with a pond pump, though?

When I use this method, I attach a tube to the "suck" part of the pump. Then I attach the siphon to the end of it. I then attach a tube to the "blow" part and put it in my laundry sink. That way I can do a gravel cleaning as well. I noticed that it gives your siphon a little boost. I always say I'm going turbo when I plug the pump in lol. I also have a floor tank. This is perfect as the siphon on its own won't pick up anything. I am so glad that Mikey shared this. It really makes things a LOT easier. Especially if you have multiple tanks.

Great Idea, good picture!

I used the Python No Spill Clean & Fill and love it! I had to take the o'ring inside for it to work (explained in the instruction)

You need enough pressure coming out or it won't work. Per example my downtairs sink need both of the handle open completely to syphon the water compare to my sink upstairs where I don't even have to open one completely.

It is confusing reading all the review hey? same problem for me, can't decide in which filter to choose, I think I'm even more confuse actually after reading the reviews. :teehee

That is awesome. What a smarty pants. :) I loved what you did Mikey. I even loved your photo's more with you explaining it all. (which reminds me, it's been awhile since I've cked out that one thread. Remember? ) And wait, you forgot to mention that you have to plug in the pump. Great Idea. I'm keeping this in the back of my mind/brain. ha ha

Hi Mikey, I thought of emailing you privately on this Harbor Freight submersible pump but than I thought about it more and decided it might be worth sharing with others here. :) So I went to find your thread. :)

First off Mikey, I can't believe it's been a year since I had posted on your thread and ever since this product has been on the back of my mind. California is having such a dry spell/drought and it has been so darn HoT. I've been feeling really bad about just using my aqueon w/c so today I finally looked up this website and I was pleasantly surprised I have three of these stores all within a half hour from where I live. I called one of the local numbers and told the gentleman what I was interested in and he is going to email me OR mail me a 20% coupon. (I'm assuming for anything to purchase) So, I'll be buying one of these Harbor Freight pumps sometime soon. (A year later from your thread though. Better late than not at all. hehehe)

Anyway, I'd like to know how is your 264gph pump holding up? Do you still love it? Do you wish you would have purchased the next size up 620gph? I think that's the size I'm interested in getting. Do you think it would be too fast for my 60g tank?

Thanks again Mikey. So, If anybody is interested in purchasing one of these call your Local store (500 stores nationwide) and maybe they will send you a 20% coupon also. The guy did tell me the sale is good until the end of the month and the coupon will be good even on the sale price. An extra bonus for us. :)

(I had told the guy about you, Mikey, a young guy purchasing one awhile back from a goldfish forum) and that you gave a great review on the product and how well it was working for you and your method.)

I have the same pump, but I'm on my second one. The first one died during the move, and I really don't know why. But they are reasonably priced, so I'm not too worried. They cost A LOT more at other stores.

As for size, I don't think you need a bigger one. I was using mine on the 77g and now on my 90g, and I think the speed is fine. It's not super fast, but it's fast enough. I wouldn't want to drain or fill the tank much faster, certainly not more than twice as fast! :yikes I'm using the bucket and pump method to fill my tank now, and I'm guessing it's filled (about 50 gallons) in less than 30 minutes.

Running the water changer through the sink, with the tap running the whole time, is terribly wasteful. It really bothered me, and that was in Michigan when there was no drought. :no: For $17 and weekly use, you will pay for this with your water bill savings! :thumb:

I've never had one of my 5 HF 264s fail and my oldest one has been running 24-7 for 3-4 years. Not only is the 620 way too too powerful for a 60 gallon (unless you are emptying with a fire hose), it is not reliable. I had one for just over a year when it stopped. Usually that means a dirty impeller. I pulled it out to clean it, and it wouldn't go back together. My husband and I spent hours trying to get it back together to no avail. I was all set up for this pump, so I bought another one like it. It is still running, but it hasn't been a year yet.

I like my 264gph pump, but I do want a stronger one since it takes soooo long to fill my tank. I may be getting a stronger pump but I am not sure yet. Mine is still going strong though!! :D

Thanks Shawn, Sharon, and Mikey for your info. that I was asking about. I appreciate it. Now I'm confused/second guessing on the 620gph but Mikey is wanting the bigger one now. I don't want a HF that is going to take more than 1/2 hour to drain. It takes about that long with my aqueon. I'd love for it to drain in less time. Filling up doesn't seem to take long w/Aqueon water changer. I'm with Shawn above, How long does it take you Mikey to drain your 55g tank? How long does it take you to fill up your 55g? You probably already posted this info. a year ago but has your times changed for whatever reason?

Edited by 4prettyfish

How long does it take?

like 40+ minutes to fill and about 20-30 minutes to drain. I just want it to be quicker because I am always busy and want it done as quick as possible lol

How long does it take?

like 40+ minutes to fill and about 20-30 minutes to drain. I just want it to be quicker because I am always busy and want it done as quick as possible lol
I'm kind of thinking now, again, to go for the 620gph. I'll have to ask the employee if it's too much/fast if I'll be able to exchange for the 320 then.

yes, that would be good :) let us know!

will do Mikey. :) It most likely won't be close to end of month. Right now it's even hotter in that area of where the store is. It was probably 100 here and 105 there. Yikes! Too hot for me.

Wow!! That's hot! :yikes it was high of maybe 70 here today :o

That sounds like perfect weather to me. :) Aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

If you are going to get the 620, be sure to spend the extra for the warranty. Read the reviews on both pumps. After reading them, I'm not sure the warranty helps. There are two HF pumps that get good reviews, the 264 and the waterfall pump. There are other brands of pumps.

It doesn't take me 20 minutes to drain a 100 gallon stock tank with a 264.

I think the length of time will also vary depending on where you are pumping the water to and from. I pump mine to a drain in the other side off the basement, so it has to go through 25+ feet of hose and then up about three feet in the air to the drain. I am sure the rise at the end puts back pressure on the hose and slows the flow a bit. I tried pumping it up a flight of stairs and the 264 will not push enough to drain at all.

That seems right, Rob. I have a 264 (1.5 years old) and it travels through about 25 feet of hose slanting slightly upwards. I've never really timed it, but my estimate is 15 minutes to drain 144 litres.

Yeah, I drain about 120 gallons between my 3 tanks and it takes quite a while. Over 30 minutes draining time for sure.

The 264 has a maximum head of 4.6 ft. That means that if the outlet of the hose is more than 4.6 feet above the surface of the water the maximum flow rate is 0 gph. The relationship between the flow rate and head is linear, so with a head of three feet under otherwise ideal conditions, the pump rate should be ~92 gph.

Now if you pump your water to a shower drain or out the window, with the end of the hose lower than the tank, gravity helps the pump, and your pumping rate may be higher than 264 gph.

You need at least a 600 gph pump to get up a flight of stairs.

If you really want rapid pumping or want to take water upstairs, you should look into a sump pump. I wouldn't put one of these into a fish tank, but if you siphoned into a tub, a sump tub in the tub would take the water wherever you wanted it very fast.

I'm fine with slow. Gives me plenty of time to do the other parts of the cleaning ritual.

Mine goes down and then up and out a window lol and then goes up about 3-4 feet to fill my tank.