Onset of ich?

ladymclamb

Long story short, I bought Petrie from my job and in the past I know there have been issues with Ich with our goldfish (stressful ride to our store.) Petrie had clean, un-speckled fins when I brought him home, but this morning I noticed his fins had little specks on them.

yvO4qfM.jpg

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) .65ppm (I've added an Ammo-block filter cartridge to my AquaClear as of yesterday.)

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0ppm

* Nitrate level(Tank) 0ppm

* Ammonia Level(Tap) .50ppm

* Nitrite Level(Tap) 0ppm

* Nitrate level(Tap) 0ppm

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Fresh Water Drop Kit

* Water temperature? 71.6

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55g, been up and running for two weeks (added seeded filter five days ago)

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AquaClear 70

* How often do you change the water and how much? I've been doing a 25-30% water change every three-ish days (water had been cloudy due to startup.)

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? I changed the water this morning (results above are post-change.) Before that it was three days ago (simple vacuum sweep/25% change)

* How many fish in the tank and their size? Three fish (2 fish are 1.5" and another is 2") Petrie was alone for the past few days.

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? I use Prime (and have added a few drops of Cycle.) Nothing else.

* What do you feed your fish and how often? 2-3 times a day, morning, afternoon, evening.

* Any new fish added to the tank? Yes.

* Any medications added to the tank? No.

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. None.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Just white speckles on fins; it's very, very light.
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Until yesterday he spent his time near the top of the tank, but when I added the two new fish he immediately bonded with them and is now spending time in the mid-bottom as well as the top.

----

What is my next course of action? :cry:undecided:

I'm afraid that does look like ich, however I will wait for a moderator to chime in.

With ich, there is a cycle going on with the parasite laying eggs and those eggs hatching and attaching to the fish. It's very important you do large water changes daily to remove as much as the free swimming parasite and eggs as possible. Having a barebottom tank helps a ton.

I wish Petrie a full and speedy recovery! Good luck!

How does anyone feel about Kordon Ick Attack? I've read some good reviews on it, and with an addition of a small water heater to speed up the Ich life cycle, could that work?

Worried about my little guy. :( He swims fine but I don't want this to get worse.

And apologies if this topic comes up a lot. :/

I just read another thread that had said to use a .3% salt treatment instead of the Ick attack. If this is the route to go, how often should I do a water change?

And apologies if this topic comes up a lot. :/

I just read another thread that had said to use a .3% salt treatment instead of the Ick attack. If this is the route to go, how often should I do a water change?

Hello, as Heidi said, salt is all you need. Heat is optional, but it does make things zip along faster. Salt should be at 0.3%, as described above. There is a thread in my sig, showing you how to mix and work out the amount of salt, as well as what kind to use.

Heat, if you use it, should be at 80.

Water changes of 50%, or more, every day, taking care to gravel vacuum really well. Please replace the amount of salt that you take out with each water change.

Good luck, and please keep us updated! :)

Thank you so much!!

I've since added my bubbler, added mixed salt (since I have a 55g, I added 55tsp or 275ml)

In 12 hours I do that again, and one more day after that. It should bring the total salt content to 825 ml, correct?

And on the third day when I do a water change I will take out 50%, and should then replace the water and add also back in 412.5ml of salt mix?

I just want to make sure I don't add too much or too little. :) 412.5 is a big number, just wanted to make sure.

Thank you all for the help. I swear, if my tank clears up, that's it! I'm becoming a subscriber. :)

Well, when I read the post it said one teaspoon for every gallon. 55gallon tank is 55 teaspoons? (One teaspoon is 5ml)

:):o

Actually, it doesn't quite work out that way, or it least you should not use it that way. The teaspoons to mL is for liquid measurements, and so should not apply to the salt.

I would prefer that you use the teaspoon method, or failing that, to weigh the salt, which is the most accurate. :)

Well, when I read the post it said one teaspoon for every gallon. 55gallon tank is 55 teaspoons? (One teaspoon is 5ml)

:):o

Actually, it doesn't quite work out that way, or it least you should not use it that way. The teaspoons to mL is for liquid measurements, and so should not apply to the salt.

I would prefer that you use the teaspoon method, or failing that, to weigh the salt, which is the most accurate. :)

No worries. :) I have been counting out my teaspoon counts instead. Still feels like a huge number, but my fish are active and swimming like normal. :) I'll keep you posted. I have been slowly upping the temperature (it's at 77 at the moment, working my way to 80)

I recently had something similar to that. At first I was very hesitant to call it ick, but after like a week it turn out to be full blown ick. You look like you're in good hands though. Salt treatment should get rid of the ick if it is, and if it isn't won't harm your fish.

Update! Day three of treatment, the tank is at 3% and the fish are doing good.

Last night I siphoned the sand out of the tank (I was going to go with a bare bottom tank in the first place! Ugh, impulse purchases. ;) )

This morning I did my 50% water change and found the white spots floating on the bottom of the tank! Good news I presume?

Petrie is still active and swimming around. :)

Last night I siphoned the sand out of the tank (I was going to go with a bare bottom tank in the first place! Ugh, impulse purchases. ;) )

This morning I did my 50% water change and found the white spots floating on the bottom of the tank! Good news I presume?

Good deal. It can take up to the full seven days before all the ich spots are gone, and you will want to keep the salt at 0.3% for 1-2 weeks extra, after the very last white spot had disappeared. :)

I hope you mean 0.3% salt instead of 3%. Otherwise I think 3% in the main tank would be way to high, you only use ~5% salt water for salt baths. Keep the water at 0.3% at least 7 days after the last siting of ick.

Good luck!

No worries, I meant 0.3% :)

Good deal. It can take up to the full seven days before all the ich spots are gone, and you will want to keep the salt at 0.3% for 1-2 weeks extra, after the very last white spot had disappeared. :)

Update:

Well, Petrie is nearly cleared of all spots but now Krang has some on him this morning (guess I'll be continuing this for at least another two weeks). :ill And on top of that, I have noticed Bjorn is hanging out near the top of the tank! He isn't breathing very rapidly or anything, but he is preferring to sit on the bamboo canopy instead of swim around with the other two. He seemed a little slower the first day I brought him home, and I'm hoping it isn't a genetic problem or, worse, something I cannot see/help him with.

My ammonia has been sitting right at 1ppm, Tested my water this morning and it has dropped to .50ppm overnight. (my tap contains chloramines from the treatment facility, so it's naturally high :madrant ). I am concerned my tank is not fully in it's cycle yet.

And here I thought I was being a good fish keeper, but I fear I may have succumb to newbie-mistake #1. :undecided:

Edited by ladymclamb

If you have 0.5ppm> for ammonia you should change 50% of the water. If it's under 0.5ppm, change 20-30% of the water change. Keep doing WC until it's 0ppm. As for the Ick, just let the salt do it's work for now. It doesn't seem too bad. Also, since you're doing the salt treatment, it means whatever water you take out you must replace the salt. So say you do a 50% WC, if you had originally 70 tsp, you need to add 35 tsp to the water you are adding in. If you did 20%, 70tsp * 0.2 = 14 tsp.

If after 1-2 weeks the ick is still there, you might want to try medicinal treatment. However, please consult with the mods before you do.

If Bjorn is hanging around near the top, check if he can get to the bottom of the tank with ease. Otherwise, I might be SBD, in which case you can feed peas without the skin.

There's no need to worry IMO, nothing life threatening unless the ick gets out of control. So just calm down. :)

Edited by georgelee92

Actually, if you have any ammonia right now, you need to do as close to a 100% WC as possible to get all of it out. Then, make sure to add Prime for the full volume of the tank. This way, we have Prime and WCs to keep ammonia low and/or detoxified.

Hang in there!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

So I'm back with an update. After two weeks of the salt treatment, both Petrie and Krang are in tip top shape! I sadly lost Bjorn not long after I started this thread. I believe he had a stressful start of life, mixed with possible lower quality breeding, and maybe even a little inexperience on my part. :/ Though, I am excited that my other two fishies are doing awesome.

Thank you all so much for your help. :)

My only concern now is that my Nitrites have crept to 2.0ppm (I have been working long hours so it's been maybe 5-6 days since a last water change. This morning I did a large WC and am monitoring the levels. My Ammonia has fallen below .25ppm, so I can see my cycle is going along like it should (I think?) :P

Hope all is well! :D

Hello,

I am glad that your two fish are much better, and am very sorry that one didn't make it. :(

You are at the nitrite peak during cycling, and maintaining 1 level teaspoon salt per 10 gallons water at all times during this time will block the nitrite effects. However, it is very important that you don't let the nitrates get/stay that high. You should have a developed cycle in about a week or so. :)