Yoshi has been upgraded to a pond

Kris0823

I don't know if anyone remembers my orange Oranda "Yoshi"? He keeps growing & I just don't have the money to upgrade to a whole new tank set up. (He was in a 20 gallon by himself.)

After needing to drain 80% of the water 2X per week & destroying my back, I made the decision to go back to a modestly stocked tropical community tank.

My parent's have an outdoor pond (1,200 gallons). I hope he will do ok being a fancy with comets, but their pond is modestly stocked as well & is densely planted.

My parent's said he is doing well! Eating & swimming all around. They said he keeps to himself.

Wish Yoshi luck!

Kristin

I debated on it for a long time. I was afraid he would be more delicate being a fancy & swimming with comets. But I was watching them yesterday & the comets are pretty mild mannered considering. They were a bit rough during meal time, but I noticed Yoshi just hung back in the water lettuce & waddled out after & cleaned up after the big guys.

I was so nervous! I brought him in a bucket. I made my Dad keep him indoors & add pond water every 1/2 hour & after 1.5 hours I let him into the pond! My Dad thought I was nuts, but this is my daughter's fish & I wanted to make sure he would be safe.

So far so good! I really underestimated Yoshi's size. When he was in the bucket, I realized he was about 6 inches from nose to tail.

I really think unless you have money to upgrade to a larger set up (down the road once they begin to grow) or have a plan B like I did, then in my opinion 30 gallons per fish is more accurate when you factor in the end result. The adult size.

I was having trouble keeping up with the ammonia output. Seemed to be out of nowhere too. I would get a 0 reading, then it would spike. I had increased to 80% water changes twice a week too.

And yet, Yoshi had a few ammonia burns on him. :no:

I cleaned the tank, another 80%, tested water. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite & only 10 nitrates.

We have 4 Mickey mouse platies, a gourami, and a cory catfish now. I think this is a nice little set up. Fair amount of plants too.

I think that is really nice that you wanted the best for your fish and your daughter's. 6 inches is a great size for Yoshi and I'm sure he's going to continue to grow in his new pond home. Glad to hear that you put your 20g to good use. You should take a video of your setup and new fish. :)

Yoshi is a lucky fella :) I'd love to photo of him in his new pond :nana (when you have time!)

Congrats on your new fishies!