cycling or not? then water problems bad I think!

knini09

Hi, this is the begining of my journey, I had a 10 gal at home (my main tank) that used to house a betta and some neons, cycled and everything was good for a year, then the neons started bulling the betta and so he had to move to my 5 gal. tank (he is totally happy there) so I was rooming around and so I got my hands in a ranchu, put the neons in another tank(they are much better in there) and left the ranchu all in the 10 gal tank, kept investigating and so I upgraded to a 20 long but 2 weeks before I set up the tank I cleaned the 10 gal tank loosing my cycle (I changed from a wall filter to an sponge filter) so I was doing 70% water change morning and 50% water change at night, I never let the ammonia to build more than 0.50ppm and the nitrates never more than 20ppm that was for 2 weeks then I set up the 20 long so I put the sponge filter into the new tank with the old tank water (I have no decor in the tank) and my ranchu in it, so kept doing the same thing for a week it was still pretty much the same then I put 2 little anubias and a lilly(top plant) in the tank, my ammonia(1.0ppm) started rising with the nitrate(40ppm) so I figured it was because the sponge could not be enough for the bb to colonize so I put the ceramic media, from a brand new aqua clear 70 (got it for when s/he will get older), into the tank then 3 days later I got my ammonia at 1.0 and nitrate at 20 so I did 80% water change; then the next day I did testing and it was ammonia:0.25 nitrate:20 there is no way that they will rise so much in only 24 hours(I then installed the aqua clear 70 hoping that the extra sponge could only help; I figured out a way for the dropping of the water not to make a current, so far so good extra sponges are never too bad right?). then the next day the ammonia:0.50 and nitrate:40 did a 7 gal water change then 2 days after it got again to this point where I did again the 7 gal water change; then the next day I got ammonia:0.25 nitrate:10 and I noticed that my ranchu was trying to eat some clear stuff from the anubias(I stopped feeding so much as s/he had trailing poop) so I took them out and proceeded to take some ceramic media from my 5 gal tank and placed it in the aqua clear ; 24 hours later I did a water test and got ammonia:0.50 nitrate:40 this time I did not do the water change and then 24 hours later I did a water test and got ammonia:1.0 nitrate:40 so I did a 90% water change(today).

API water test kit with a reading of:

PH:7.6

HPH:7.4

Ammonia:0.25-1.0ppm

Nitrite:0 (glorious number never changes)

Nitrate:5.0-40ppm

when the water gets to the highest I will do water change(this week only) but before that I was doing two times a day.

tap water will give me a reading of 0 in all of them and then the PH and HPH will be the same numbers not quite the same deep color but not light/dark enough to change into another number.

I am well going into my 5th week of this cycling process so I am getting to the point where I am asking myself what else to do, shall I get some new plants? plastic ones ofcourse cuz I am done with the live ones(rehome them into glass containers in my window sill and to my surprise the anubias are pulling out new growth, I figure not enough lighting for them to be of much help in the tank since they are little ones still.) I am not putting any gravel (I did graduated from gravel a long time ago) what else can I do???

thank you for your help this is as much info I can give without being too extent and yet I feel I have given you the story of my life... LOL... so once again sorry and thank you.!

Thank you for your interest I've been waiting for someone to guide me here but no luck, I think is cuz I am new. :I-Thank-You::teehee

API freshwater master kit; yesterday it was ammonia:0.25 Nitrite:0 Nitrate:20

When I say ammonia 0.25-1.0ppm I mean from my last water change 24 hours after it would be .25ppm then 24 hours after that test it would be .50ppm and 24 hours after that it would be 1.0ppm so in a lapse of 3 days my ammonia would rise up to 1.0ppm and then I would do another water change usually of 7 gallons of water but last time I changed was 80% of the water and still 24 hours after that water change on saturday 14th I got an ammonia reading of .25ppm so it does not matter how much water I change 24 hours after it will be that same amount of ammonia (.25ppm)

the same with the nitrate 5.0-40 in the three days of testing the first day would be 5.0ppm the next testing 24 hours after the first would be 10ppm then 24 hours after that 20ppm and sometimes it would have been 40ppm. but I have never gotten a lower reading than that.

trying to figure out how to make this process less painfull for both of us, my goldfish is ok for now it took her a while to get used from 2 times water changes in a day to only one in 3 days, but I really need this tank to stabilize soon or s/he may become ill... :(

yesterday I got more media I hope that makes a difference, 2 more bags, ... time will tell now.!

Can you tell us about your set up? Tank size? Filtration? Number of fish and their sizes?

Also we will need tap parameters for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH.

What are you using to test the water?

The numbers you posted look like typical numbers for a cycling tank . . . It often takes months. :idont