How many goldfish in a 75 gallon aquarium?

AnnaMNR

Aren't all goldfish adapted in any tank, no matter the size, already are overstocked? There is a "rule" because it applies in order to uphold a healthy environment for our fish. But I can see it now, the guidelines will change again overtime, because of evolution, perhaps goldfish will thrive and grow larger than the average adult size now. and we try to give them a home in our tanks but their real home is out there :I-Thank-You:

Aren't all goldfish adapted in any tank, no matter the size, already are overstocked?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Could you elaborate a bit? Thanks.

There is a "rule" because it applies in order to uphold a healthy environment for our fish. But I can see it now, the guidelines will change again overtime, because of evolution, perhaps goldfish will thrive and grow larger than the average adult size now. and we try to give them a home in our tanks but their real home is out there :I-Thank-You:

These fish really don't have a "real" home, having been bred away from their ancestral origins nearly a thousand or so years ago, although of course I would agree that ponds are more ideal for the fish, in most cases. (Note that while ponds may be more "ideal," that doesn't mean that tanks are not suitable.)

As for the "evolution" that I am talking about, I am talking about practical experience, about the biology, and the technology that revolves around goldfish keeping. For example, let's get away from stocking for a bit and talk about another fundamental change in recommendations. Years ago, people wouldn't hesitate to recommend doing a fish-in cycle. These days, this is widely accepted as a very bad idea, because of the recognition that ammonia/nitrite not only has acute (immediate) effects in damaging the fish, but also chronic (lifelong) effects that the fish may not ever be able to recover from.

I'm saying the truth about the extent of overstocking. I think I read somewhere that a perfectly stocked aquarium would mean the tank can clear away nitrates at the same rate the system produces it. Which concludes to no water changes, or little maintenance , Your right about evolution, I was speaking about another degree of goldfish evo., (growth wise) I get that they don't really have a home, whether it's in a tank or not, but in my opinion they should evolve without human intervention

I'm saying the truth about the extent of overstocking. I think I read somewhere that a perfectly stocked aquarium would mean the tank can clear away nitrates at the same rate the system produces it. Which concludes to no water changes, or little maintenance , Your right about evolution, I was speaking about another degree of goldfish evo., (growth wise) I get that they don't really have a home, whether it's in a tank or not, but in my opinion they should evolve without human intervention

Given the world we live in, not a lot of things happen without human intervention, directly or indirectly.

I'm not sure where you read it, I disagree strongly that a perfectly stocked aquarium is one where the nitrate balance is zero. Firstly, there are other things that build up, such as heavy metals, that can be detrimental. Moreover, it's conceivable that you can stock to such a density that despite having zero nitrates, stress from overcrowding can still occur. In that case, you will get die-offs and diseases. The Waldstadt principle is nice in theory, but I think is almost impossible to do for a tank of goldfish. Even if it were, I wouldn't eschew periodic clean/new water infusion.

I still don't understand what you mean by saying "the truth about the extent of overstocking." The truth, if you want to hear it, is that most tanks (and ponds) are somewhat overstocked already, even with such carefully thought out stocking guidelines.

The type of goldfish is important too, as commons grow larger than fancies. Can you imagine a common in a 10 gallon? Even 20 is too small for a common. I don't think the tank requirements foe commons are stickied anywhere, and they are probably the most common goldfish, with so many given away at fairs. Is there a link to that somewhere?

The type of goldfish is important too, as commons grow larger than fancies. Can you imagine a common in a 10 gallon? Even 20 is too small for a common. I don't think the tank requirements foe commons are stickied anywhere, and they are probably the most common goldfish, with so many given away at fairs. Is there a link to that somewhere?

Commons grow longer than fancies, but fancies grow much rounder. So in terms of absolute mass fancies are often larger, and greater mass arguably equates to increased bio load.

The current stocking recommendation for single tails is this the same as fancies, but I think many would argue that a longer tank might be more important to single tails than fancies because they tend to be slightly more agile swimmers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saying that commons get larger than fancies is a lot like saying basketball players are larger than sumo wrestlers. Fish, like people, are three dimensional. The current guinness record for the longest goldfish (and I'm very sure longer ones exist), is held by a common, but that fish is not near as large in volume/mass as the largest fancy goldfish.

Commons grow longer than fancies, but fancies grow much rounder. So in terms of absolute mass fancies are often larger, and greater mass arguably equates to increased bio load.

The current stocking recommendation for single tails is this the same as fancies, but I think many would argue that a longer tank might be more important to single tails than fancies because they tend to be slightly more agile swimmers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this. And I still can't see either a common or a fancy goldfish in a 10 gallon tank, so that rule is out the window to my mind. A 20 high for one fancy, well he'd be lonely and still somewhat cramped so he'd need a mate, a 20 long for a common, also lonely and cramped and needing a mate, I guess we are now up to 35+ gallons in my little world. :D

So I guess to answer the original question, I would take into account the measurements of a 75 gallon tank. I would think it would be suitable for all types of goldfish.

Edited by finsNfur

Now I know the author of the article is incorrect.

& you finally came through, that is the exact truth

There's a deluge of information out there. It's up to us as rational free-thinking agents, to sort through several sources of information and decide what is true. Unless it is extremely well written with documented evidence, you may need several sources of information to paint a complete picture. When dealing with a sentient being, you don't want to commit to a hasty generalisation on goldfish care. Plus, you know what they say, never trust what you read on the Internet. (Yes, I am aware of the irony.)

This forum is great because the articles written (and the information provided) often come from several sources to begin with. Academic and practical knowledge collide with experience in the microcosm that is this site. :)