Is this a bad thing to do?

TheGeneral570

I'm not sure if this is the rite place to put this topic. But I have had to move my 20g tank out of one room into the living room because the room was being painted, and I have seen on websites that it's bad to use nets to take a fish out of a tank. because it can take off there slime coat. so Instead of using a net I just washed my hands realy well with the hottest water I could stand and kind of dried them a little to get the tap water off my hands and just used my hands to gently take the fish out and put him in a 5 gallon bucket I use for for water changes untill I could get the tank out to the living room and get it filled back up. I am moving the tank back because the living room is to hot and if this is dangerous and there is a better way can someone please tell me?

I always move my guys by hand :) One hand cupping them from underneath and another slightly resting on top so they can't wiggle away.

Ok thanks guys I apreciate it! And no I dident use any pressure. I basicly just cupped my hands so he couldent jump out. And I'm not sure if I have any containers that don't go in the dishwasher that would be safe but I can go buy one. He is still young and small but isent skittish so I dident have to chase him at all. But the room is done and no more fumes so I want to move the tank back today or tomarow and the stand it is on now scares me and seems unstable? but thank you guys I realy appreciate the help alot! Oh and the dresser I am putting it back on is very stable and level wich is another reason is like it back there.

My procedure is to use a cup or my hands with fancies, since it's easy to cup my hands loosely around a round fish. With the streamlined pond-type fish, if I can't get them in a bucket (and I usually can't) I use a net, since you have to hold the fish very tightly to keep them from just slipping out of your hands. Holding a fish tightly is much more likely to do damage it than scooping it up in a net.

Actually, I'm quite puzzled by the common statement that nets damage fish. I can see the possibility of fin damage to a very strongly protesting fish in a net that is way too small, but why should soft, wet fabric injure a fish?

• Supporter

Actually, I'm quite puzzled by the common statement that nets damage fish. I can see the possibility of fin damage to a very strongly protesting fish in a net that is way too small, but why should soft, wet fabric injure a fish?

I think it's more that they 'can' damage fins. I had a dorsal broken from using a net. my fish tried to flip in the net whilst the dorsal had pierced through a hole in the net..

the fin itself, no damage, but the stress of him trying to break free damaged his slimecoat.

I dident evin realize it could hurt the fins but my concern was with the slime coat because I think my fish might have flukes I have prazi pro I got offline but haven't started dosing yet. But I have a little cave in my tank that is hollow I have to seal because I read that bacteria can grow in them an don't want to hurt the fishes slime coat to take precaution so he doesent get sick.

And idt if this is true but soft to people may not be soft to fish because our skin is what protects us and fish don't have skin and might be more sensitive? Like I said idk if this is true hahahaha

Fish do have skin, and their skin is protected by scales. Their skin will be fine.

We need to be gentle for obvious reasons, but not for that one.

It's not a fail! Haha just a common misconception. :)

I personally handle my fish with my hands. She is too big and fat for an average net. :teehee

Also, Flukes can bury themselves in the slime coat, as well as live internally, so slime coat doesn't necessarily mean protection from flukes. There are times in heavy fluke infestations when salt dips are used to strip the fish's slime coat and expose the sneaky little parasites underneath, as well as shed some off. We don't always do this, though, so when you make your Diagnosis and Discussion thread regarding treating for flukes, wait for a Moderator to tell you whether or not to dip.

I think it's more that they 'can' damage fins. I had a dorsal broken from using a net. my fish tried to flip in the net whilst the dorsal had pierced through a hole in the net..

the fin itself, no damage, but the stress of him trying to break free damaged his slimecoat.

I suppose you also have tactile feedback when you use your hands. I've used both nets and my hands. Whilst I used nets quite successfully, the hand, in my opinion, remains king.

As a side note: I recall a time on here several years ago, when almost everyone used a net. Using your hands was discouraged.

Edited by dan in aus

Hahaha well thank you :) and mine is to small to tell if it's a boy or a girl yet so I just call him the general hahaha. And I never knew they could be internal too! But I have been researching how to do the treatments I just haven't had the time yet, he seems ok tho and eats normaly, begs for food and is active mostly. But he hovers on the bottom sometimes wich could mean he is resting but I have caught him shaking one of his fins like there is something on it so I bought some prazi pro just in case. And plan to post about it in the disease treatment threads before I do anything but read something about that it's near impossible to irradiate flukes completely and they are always around in small numbers because of the eggs? But at the moment he/she a ham and does whatever can be done for atention and is active hahahaha

I just know that there is bacteria on your hands. That was the only thing that I was worried about so I just washed them with hot water realy good and this was to Dan. I'm not sure how to put what someone said in a box on top of what you say..

It's not a fail! Haha just a common misconception. :)

I personally handle my fish with my hands. She is too big and fat for an average net. :teehee

Also, Flukes can bury themselves in the slime coat, as well as live internally, so slime coat doesn't necessarily mean protection from flukes. There are times in heavy fluke infestations when salt dips are used to strip the fish's slime coat and expose the sneaky little parasites underneath, as well as shed some off. We don't always do this, though, so when you make your Diagnosis and Discussion thread regarding treating for flukes, wait for a Moderator to tell you whether or not to dip.

Chelsea, your fish is not fat....she is rubenesque... :teehee

I use a container to scoop them out. Works great! If you need to cool the tank, blow a fan over the water surface. You will get a lot of evaporation, but it will take it down a few degrees. It's also great for moving the carbon dioxide that hangs out above the water's surface:)