Brine shrimp hatchery

blackmoors

Ok well now I have goldfish fry coming out my ears im trying to work out best way/foods for feeding.

Everywhere I looked/read or talked, baby brine shrimp kept coming up.

Thats all well and good but where to get a good supply? 'You hatch them' I kept being told.

Sooooo finally after a few weeks of looking I finally found some brine shrimp eggs that werent ridiculously priced.

Next. A hatchery......

Ummmmmm any input???

Ive seen hundreds of different designs and ideas on you tube etc.

What do you guys use? Pics/videos eyc would be great.

So far the coke bottle and air pump/air stone is the most common ive seen.

But the way its used varries alot.

Some say air stone some say no air stone just use the air line for larger bubbles.

Some say HEAPS of air others say just a bit.

What id like to know is whats your set up and method for a steady reliable hatching of baby brine shrimp.

Ive also been told use pool salt for the hatchery as its the cheapest etc.

The food grade pool salt should work. So does sea salt and canning/pickling salt. I use the coke bottle and air pump method but I modified it a little because I hated it when the bits of water would splash out as the bubbles broke at the surface. I don't use an air stone; I don't think it's needed. I used to use an air stone and since I left it out, the hatch rate is about the same if not better.

Xjt2zKr.jpg

Bubbles,

Would you mind posting a detailed (for idiots) guide to constructing and going about making brine shrimp. I really want to do this, but need as much detail and help as I can get, including where to get shrimp eggs.

#TellMePlease :please

Bubbles,

Would you mind posting a detailed (for idiots) guide to constructing and going about making brine shrimp. I really want to do this, but need as much detail and help as I can get, including where to get shrimp eggs.

#TellMePlease :please

I think Mikey and blackmoors has got it covered pretty well ;)

I based the construction of my hatchery off of that video up there. Mine is very similar to Blackmoors but I did not use rigid tubing and my tubing goes straight through the cap of the bottle and is sealed off with silicone. I fed the tubing that is attached to the cap through a hole in the cup that is holding the whole thing stable so I had to carve out a little indent/hole on the bottom of the cup so it'd stay flat. I then carved off the top (not completely) so it would act like a cap to open and close. It's actually really convenient :D I open the "cap" to add the salt water and eggs, then I open said "cap" to dump everything out into a container to harvest and repeat the process.

Raising the bbs to adulthood sounds like fun :o I just might give it a try too since I feel like it's such a waste whenever I have to dump all the bbs that weren't fed to the fry within 24 hours.