Sign in to follow this  
goldensgram

Possible nitrite poisoning?

If you are using a bubbler then it is nearly impossible for your fish to be in low oxygenated waters. Even at the temp you say your tank gets to. As long as there is movement on the surface the oxygen supply in a tank will be sufficient at this stocking.

:)

Thanks bodoba! I was able to gradually lower the temp to 70-72 degrees now with cranking our AC, keeping the light off, removing the hood when we are home and chilling the water with frozen bottles of treated water. It has stayed in this range. I was researching water pumps today, not sure if I need circulation at the bottom of the tank?

Just got back from church and she is still floating up near the filter and slightly moving her fins. When I left she was on the other side at the top, so maybe she swam over *wishful thinking*

My local pet stores did not have the treatment for flukes but if I order it, will I also need some other container for her? I only have this one 10 gal tank.

Test results:

Ammonia 0

NitrIte 0-.25 (little bluer than teal, but not lilac)

pH 7.2 - 7.6

NitrAte 0

You can treat for flukes in the 10 gallon. PraziPro does not affect the BBs. :)

Thanks FantailFan1...that helps!

7a water testing:

ammonia 0 ppm; nitrrIte 0 ppm; nitrAte 0 ppm (but deeper goldenrod color); pH 7.2

Golden can definitely swim. She tried to get her pea this morning but it sank to the bottom too quickly. She nibbled at the trailing residue and took a few 'dives' down for it but could not get lower than the top of the tallest plant (about 1-2" beneath water level). Should I feed her flakes since she's stuck at the top or while that exacerbate SBD?

I will open a thread on D&D to see if I should use the PraziPro or something else for possible SBD. If anyone watched the video of her swimming on 9/11, please tell me what you think. I will repost in D&D. ALSO she's getting her 'mohawk' back. Her top fin is standing up. Will post a pic later today.

I think I may have turned a corner on the water issues but I AM SO SCARED TO DO ANY WATER CHANGES!! If my tests stay in safe levels, should I:

1) change 10% 1 week from last change and use tap water (my tap has extremely high nitrItes DARK PURPLE)

2) change 10% 1 week from last change and use spring water (LFS did not have any RO water when I checked this week)

3) change 10% 1 week from last change and use filtered water (carbon Brita filter; water tested .25 ppm for nitrItes)

OR

change 25% or more using 1 of the 3 water sources?

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR GUIDANCE!!!!

Also forgot to mention the pea sitting at the bottom of the tank-- I think I should vacuum it out, butI am so scared to change or add any water in??!!

Aha! I will post all of the details and pictures once I get my daughter to school but I think we are on to something FF1. I tested my tap water today. No ammonia but the nitrItes were just about 5.0 ppm!! I then tested the water we drink for nitrIte (filtered in a Brita pitcher) and it was .25 ppm.

When Golden came home my tank had been prepared with a Comet feeder fish and everything tested fine. When I did the water change on Sunday 9/8 that's when nitrItes spiked. The prepared water I'd used on Sunday was conditioned with Top Fin. I didn't start using Prime until Monday 9/9 when I had the water tested at the pet store.

Golden was fine before Sunday. Her fins were erect and she was happy until I changed the water. I think my tap water may be the issue. I will post pictures of the test kits and all the details later but even after a 40% water change and 5 mL of Prime at 7am today, my nitrItes were at .25. It was .5 before the water change at 4:30a today.

Now I'm completely baffled. If your tap water has 5 ppm, your tank water had 0.5 ppm and you do a 40% water change, you will have in excess of 2 ppm in the tank, not 0.25. As I understand, 1.0 ppm nitrite is the maximum allowed in drinking water, and even that would be very rare.

Furthermore, if your tank is cycled and you have excess nitrite going into the tank, you would have nitrate being produced, yet you have never had a reading for nitrate at all, in spite of small infrequent water changes that should result in high nitrates in a cycled tank containing a fish.

This becomes very difficult to explain.

I agree, Sharon. The only thing is that the amount of allowable nitrite in the tap is 1 ppm nitrite nitrogen, which is actually 3.3 ppm actual nitrite.

Regardless, 5ppm in the tap is too high, and certainly exceeds the allowable amounts.

http://www.watercenter.com/datasheet/NO3StripITWC.pdf

Im sure this could be baffling, however I am not the only one in northern VA with nitrites beyond the legal limit. Ive been using prime in the water, Sharon

Here is the picture of my tap water nitrIte test:

IMAG2057_zpsc15f1f16.jpg

I guess the distinction between 2.0 and 5.0 isn't that precise. It's darker than 2 and lighter than 5.

I was hoping to get some insight on WHAT TO DO about my tap water related to water changes. Already feeling pretty stupid, definitely don't need any help in that department :stupid:

FantailFan1, I have really appreciated your actionable, specific, non-critical advice. Is it safe to do water changes with my tap water? If so, should I take any particular precautions? What about vacumming the pea out today?

The problem with nitrite in the tap is actually a lot easier to deal with than ammonia, or nitrate, because we have a very effective solution. :)

- You will want to maintain your salinity at 0.02% (2 g/10L, 2 level teaspoons/10 gallons) at all times. This amount is sufficient to block at least 7.5-20 ppm nitrites, even from chronic damage. During that time, your BBs will adapt to processing that much nitrites, and you should be fine once the cycle adapts. :)

I just wanted to day that Golden is a cutie..and don't give away your stuff just yet! It's really not that hard or complicated with a healthy fish, And very rewarding. Good luck!

Edited by blubblubblub