Going away again!

Black

Hi guys,

So my Kilimanjaro trip has finally arrived :o

I am away for 2 weeks again and as usual I will be worrying about my baby. It seems every time I go away he dropsies.

My usual pre holiday routine is to check all the params, do a big water change, check params again etc etc. I then write down a feeding schedule for a family member. I put a weighed amount of repashy or pellets into little sealed bags with labels of the days he should be fed ( eg, once every 3 days).

My question is, is there anything else I can do to reduce his risk of getting ill? The temp is usually around 22 degrees and the light is on a timer. I have a pothos in there now to prevent the nitrates building up and it seems to be doing a good job.

Any other suggestions or thoughts?

Edited by Black

Can you family member do a water change while your gone? :idont two wks is a long time without one. Anyway, good luck have fun and be safe :)

Can you family member do a water change while your gone? :idont two wks is a long time without one. Anyway, good luck have fun and be safe :)

That's a really good point but I don't even trust my bf to do water changes any more and he's the one who introduced me to fish!

It's because I have to put my water through a nitrate filter and there's quite an art to getting the temp and flow rate right simultaneously. I don't know anyone who lives nearby who has a clue about fish.

I just feel he'd be better of in slightly dirty water than end up in accidentally unprimed water or perhaps even worse...

I don't trust anyone, either xD Lots of people just aren't careful about fish and other pets! I have a roommate now (BLECH) and the other day I got home from work to find a bunch of sage in my tank. No one asked if it was safe...no one asked to put it there...they just did it. Sage is on my no-no list for tanks so that was a bit of a panic moment.

Man, my roommate would have gone into hiding for years if he'd killed my fish.

If you absolutely cannot have anyone change the water for you, I would reduce the feedings to maybe every 5-7 days. I've seen members here say they've gone as far as 7 days without feeding with no ill effects. Do you think your fish can handle that?

If you're not comfortable with that, then maybe consider hiring a professional aquarium maintenance company to come and change your water for you- but I understand how weary you are with other people in charge of your goldfish. I personally don't trust any of my family members(or anyone, for the matter!) with my fish unless I STRICTLY enforce how to care for them and measure out their food. Even then, I'm still not satisfied.

How many gallons is the tank? If he's the only fish in there, I assume he wouldn't produce that large of a bioload. :)

I've done 2 weeks with no water change while away and have never had any problems. If a family member is there to feed maybe have them put some prime in half way through the trip? When I'm away I have the fish fed 2-3 times per week and as long as stocking is good I never come home to ridiculous water params. :) Have fun! Take lots of pictures.

I don't trust anyone, either xD Lots of people just aren't careful about fish and other pets! I have a roommate now (BLECH) and the other day I got home from work to find a bunch of sage in my tank. No one asked if it was safe...no one asked to put it there...they just did it. Sage is on my no-no list for tanks so that was a bit of a panic moment.

I'm so sorry about the sage, that would have really upset me :( I hope you've told them to never put anything in the tank without your permission.

If you absolutely cannot have anyone change the water for you, I would reduce the feedings to maybe every 5-7 days. I've seen members here say they've gone as far as 7 days without feeding with no ill effects. Do you think your fish can handle that?

If you're not comfortable with that, then maybe consider hiring a professional aquarium maintenance company to come and change your water for you- but I understand how weary you are with other people in charge of your goldfish. I personally don't trust any of my family members(or anyone, for the matter!) with my fish unless I STRICTLY enforce how to care for them and measure out their food. Even then, I'm still not satisfied.

How many gallons is the tank? If he's the only fish in there, I assume he wouldn't produce that large of a bioload. :)

Hi Georgia, I'm currently understocked with one small gf in a 100litre tank.

Since using a nitrate filter to do my water changes the params are still in really good shape whenever I come back from 2 weeks away.

It must be (as Alex suggested recently) stress from a change in routine. Or he just misses me :P I think I'll just have to do my best and cross my fins...

I hope you have a wonderful trip and I wish you the best of luck with your fish!

Thank you Ele! :)

I've done 2 weeks with no water change while away and have never had any problems. If a family member is there to feed maybe have them put some prime in half way through the trip? When I'm away I have the fish fed 2-3 times per week and as long as stocking is good I never come home to ridiculous water params. :) Have fun! Take lots of pictures.

Thanks PSP!

Prime is a good idea, although like you, my params are always good when I come back.

Something else must cause it, I can only think its stress from a change of routine?

I'm so sorry about the sage, that would have really upset me :( I hope you've told them to never put anything in the tank without your permission.

Oh yes, I sure have now! It was scary for a moment for sure.

I agree cutting back on his feeding would be a great idea, when I went to fla for 10 days I just left some anarchis floating and had my sis stop by one day for a feeding and when I returned the anarchis was just stems and my water was perfect :)

Today is the day. Just in the middle of a big water change when I noticed the light must have stopped working during the night.

The only light that has just come on via the timer are some faint blue lights.

Will Googs be alright in the dark for 2 weeks?

I don't want the change in routine to stress him out :(

Charley, I'm with you, I wouldn't have someone change the water. We left Newton unwaterchanged, unfed (but with lots of plants) and unlighted for 10 days. I thought it would actually be less stressful for him to have too little light than too much.