Dojo Loach and substrate

nic

Little by little I will be picking up everything I'll need to get a goldfish tank started. Thinking ahead there is the possibility I will add a pair of dojo loaches. I've read they like to dig and bury themselves. Usually sand is recommended but I've also seen them in gravel. Which I would rather use some sort of gravel over sand. I've been leaning towards Eco Complete. For anybody with loaches in gravel, what kind do you use and do you think their natural behavior is at all hampered?

One more thing is I need clarification on the depth of the substrate. I've seen varying comments
on not using too much due to bacteria building up and even losing goldfish because of it.
If I am going to add some plants to the tank as well as loaches what is the safest depth that will make everyone happy? Should the depth be fairly level or some areas higher than others?

Oh, one more question :) Do goldfish and loaches interact or in a way entertain each other? Basically if I would get one goldfish would a pair of loaches be considered in a sense company to it. I'm not sure what combination of critters I want to put in the tank and will probably spend a good bit of time contemplating options even though there are only a few.

Nic, how large is the tank you are planning on keeping?

Also, I would be very careful and vigilant with dojo loaches in an aquarium with goldfish. Some have been known to attack goldfish for their slime coat and once they begin, they do not often stop.

I bought a 40B yesterday thanks to the dollar per gal sale.

I thought plecos where the ones you had to worry about sucking the slime coat, I wasn't aware that could be a problem with loaches as well.

• Supporter

I'm not sure about loaches. But I think I have read on here that they are compatable.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Do some research it may be some types that are ok. :idont

I bought a 40B yesterday thanks to the dollar per gal sale.

I thought plecos where the ones you had to worry about sucking the slime coat, I wasn't aware that could be a problem with loaches as well.

They generally are compatible, but I have heard instances where the slime coat sucking still occurs. In a 40B you could comfortably house two goldfish for an extended period of time, so if you would like loaches then that puts you down to one goldie. I think two goldfish would be better company to each other than a goldie and some loaches. :)

-Using Tapatalk.

I would honestly recommend having snails... I don't think loaches would be a threat to goldfish because their mouths are pointed downward, unlike a pleco. But, I've read that they have to have a sand-like substrate and a group of others. :idont

Edited by teleSC

Oh I have a nerite or two as options also :) I've read up bit on them but not as much as the loaches. I don't find them as appealing though their shells can be cool but maybe they'd grow on me. I liked the loaches because they have an odd sort of cuteness about them and seem to have some character. If I didn't go down the dojo path I planned on two goldfish. Which I can see a goldfish would prefer another goldfish over a pair of loaches, which was more for my liking really. I only have a tank so far. Filters will be next and so on...
Thanks

Since a 40B holds about 45 gallons, one or two nerites would be fine with a pair of goldfish! They really are amazing little creatures. I used to have three but gave them away when I moved. I regret that now that my tank is very full of algae of all kinds. I am awaiting a package of them that should be sent soon. :)

-Using Tapatalk.

Edited by ChelseaM

• Supporter

My personal opinion I don't see that the make a large impact on the boi load. I know that they will have an impact but I don't feel they need to be treated like a goldfish in respect to bio load. With a 40B which holds closr to 50gal. 45-50 I can't remember the exact numbet. 2 goldfish 20+15=35 I think you could do 3-4 of the snails. But note unless you plan on feeding them you can not get over what you tank will naturally provide for which may be less than 3-4. If you do get more and you don't feed they will starve and die.

I know of at least a couple people who have successfully kept dojo loaches with goldfish for many years. Never heard the slime-sucking thing about them before. :idont

They're interesting critters. But I still prefer to keep goldfish in species-only tanks.

I kept dojos with goldfish, for a while in, in a tank with gravel. They never burrowed and still don't in the tank they are in, but there are lots of plants and moss for them to tunnel through. They are super fun.

I have to agree keeping a couple of goldfish and some nerites in the 40b. I think it's a perfect fit. :)

My personal opinion I don't see that the make a large impact on the boi load. I know that they will have an impact but I don't feel they need to be treated like a goldfish in respect to bio load. With a 40B which holds closr to 50gal. 45-50 I can't remember the exact numbet. 2 goldfish 20+15=35 I think you could do 3-4 of the snails. But note unless you plan on feeding them you can not get over what you tank will naturally provide for which may be less than 3-4. If you do get more and you don't feed they will starve and die.

Exactly. This is more why I suggested up to two. (Also because I prefer to see at least 20g per fish in new tanks.) I tend to let my snails fend for themselves, and haven't lost a nerite yet. :)

In terms of depth 1-3 inches is typically recommended in a planted tank. Most people will slope their substrate front to back, this provides a sense of depth and also gives your root heavier larger plants more substrate in the back of the tank.

In my tank I do an inch up front and about 2.5 in in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nerite(s) and two goldfish it is! I'll be going to a local aquarium store this weekend for ideas and see what's available. I know I've seen various snails there but at the time I wasn't really shopping and couldn't tell one from another. I also want to price compare filters and substrate. Foster and Smith seem to have the best deal on both so far.

Is it common to order online? Plants are the only live things I've ordered before.

Since a 40B holds about 45 gallons, one or two nerites would be fine with a pair of goldfish! They really are amazing little creatures. I used to have three but gave them away when I moved. I regret that now that my tank is very full of algae of all kinds. I am awaiting a package of them that should be sent soon. :)
-Using Tapatalk.

It is certainly common to order all manner of fish and snails online. There are many people who have goldfish from all corners of the country, as well as snails. :)

Right now I have a package on the way from Bob's Tropical Plants. I haven't ordered from this site personally before, but I am very impressed with their customer service so far, as well as their selection of breeds.

• Admin

Also, I would be very careful and vigilant with dojo loaches in an aquarium with goldfish. Some have been known to attack goldfish for their slime coat and once they begin, they do not often stop.

Really... I have never seen a Dojo Attack a goldfish.. I have seen Plecos but Weather loaches :o

• Admin

I know of at least a couple people who have successfully kept dojo loaches with goldfish for many years. Never heard the slime-sucking thing about them before. :idont

They're interesting critters. But I still prefer to keep goldfish in species-only tanks.

:bingo: I had them for years they where great companions with each other... Wish I could still have them :(

Really... I have never seen a Dojo Attack a goldfish.. I have seen Plecos but Weather loaches :o

I know, I was completely shocked as well.

• Admin

Ok just for my interest where is this information comming from cause I have had them with goldfish for years.. and never once did something like this happen? :)

Ok just for my interest where is this information comming from cause I have had them with goldfish for years.. and never once did something like this happen? :)

It came from a forum that fell off the face of the internet when the people who ran it could no longer pay to keep the domain name. It was the goldfish forum I was on before I found Koko's. I can PM you the name of the forum if you would like.

Edited by ChelseaM

• Admin

It came from a forum that fell off the face of the internet when the people who ran it could no longer pay to keep the domain name. It was the goldfish forum I was on before I found Koko's. I can PM you the name of the forum if you would like.

yes please I think I know which one.... but hun... I have had them in there for years and years when I lived in the CA and never once did they do that....They swam next to them and played with them but never nibbled on a goldfish, there mouths are just to small to do that ... they dont really get big at all to worry about.... just from experience :)