Really bloated and pine coned betta

Thi Thi

My cousin's betta is really pine coned and bloated so I took him home to try and solve the situation.

I don't know how long the betta has been this way and I was unable to test the water he was in, but I tested the water he is in currently.

This poor little guy has also been feed way too much before to the point of it being very bloated, but that was taken care of around 3-4 weeks ago.

• * Ammonia Level (tap) .25ppm
  • * Nitrite Level (tap) 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level (tap) 0ppm
  • * Ammonia Level (tank) .25ppm but has prime in to detox it
  • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0ppm
  • * Nitrate level (tank) 0ppm
  • * Ph Level (tank) 7.6
  • * Ph Level (tap) 7.6
    • * Brand of test kit (drops or strips): api drops
    • * Filter name and size (GPH/LPH) it's a power head and does 75 gph
    • * Additives and conditioners: prime
    • * Water temperature (With or without heater- please specify): it's a small heater which is only programed to do 75 degrees
    • * Last water change date: new tank
    • * Tank size (Gallons or litres): 4 gallons
    • * Fish in the tank (species and number): one very sick betta
    • * List prior health issues in tank: none new tank
    • * Medications previously added to the tank: none
    • * Medications on hand: metro meds and salt
    • * Diet- brand and amount/duration of feeding: hikari betta
    • * Any unusual behaviour such as nipping, bottom sitting, etc: bottom sitting, breathing hard and pineconed
    • * Any unusual findings on fish and in tank: just pineconed and lethargic
    • * Current medications being used on affected fish: none

2a3a1c11-253d-4e24-9c78-c4c848785f2b_zpscfc7d042-cac1-4285-9396-d0f7878f27ea_zpsf879f3b6-9752-46f6-b1cc-7e19088c7c26_zps

Hi,

At this point in time, I don't think treatment will work. considering dropsied bettas usually already have excessive organ damage by this point, medications might just make matters worse.

You can try and treat, but if not, I'd look at euthanising him

That being said, if he will eat and you want to treat, you can begin metromeds as instructed on the packed, dosed for 14 consecutive days. You may have to halve the pellets for feeding. You'll need to feed 1% of his body weight, so you'll most likely have to measure out a larger amount of food and divide it as necessary to get the correct amount of food.

Oh that poor thing :[ You have ammonia in your tap water? That's scary... If this was me, I would move him to a small container, about one gallon. If you have a small heater, use that to keep the water at about 80 degrees (a little warmer than normal). I would do daily water changes, using bottled of distilled water (no ions in distilled water so it wouldn't cause any more bloating)

This is what I do when one of mine is sick. I always move them to something smaller so the daily water changes are easier. Just a suggestion, I'm sure a MOD will come by and help you further :]

Sometimes its easiest to just let them go, unless you do want to treat. It can cause extra stress though :/ I know metro meds can help with early signs of dropsy and I've actually had success using them, but if you don't know how long he's been like that, it might be too late.

So sorry :[

EDIT: Didn't see Narny's post :P Sorry bout that.

Edited by scurrie

Oh that poor thing :[ You have ammonia in your tap water? That's scary... If this was me, I would move him to a small container, about one gallon. If you have a small heater, use that to keep the water at about 80 degrees (a little warmer than normal). I would do daily water changes, using bottled of distilled water (no ions in distilled water so it wouldn't cause any more bloating)

This is what I do when one of mine is sick. I always move them to something smaller so the daily water changes are easier. Just a suggestion, I'm sure a MOD will come by and help you further :]

Sometimes its easiest to just let them go, unless you do want to treat. It can cause extra stress though :/ I know metro meds can help with early signs of dropsy and I've actually had success using them, but if you don't know how long he's been like that, it might be too late.

80 degrees is actually a good temp for bettas. #2 told me to have it at 82 degrees. :). Also, as long as he is dosing prime daily with water changes daily as well, the ammonia shouldn't be a problem. ;)

Hi,

At this point in time, I don't think treatment will work. considering dropsied bettas usually already have excessive organ damage by this point, medications might just make matters worse.

You can try and treat, but if not, I'd look at euthanising him

That being said, if he will eat and you want to treat, you can begin metromeds as instructed on the packed, dosed for 14 consecutive days. You may have to halve the pellets for feeding. You'll need to feed 1% of his body weight, so you'll most likely have to measure out a larger amount of food and divide it as necessary to get the correct amount of food.

I'll try saving him my little cousin is counting on me to do so. Thank you for the information and I'll start dividing out his food right now. If I don't see progress in the next couple days I'll euthanize him. :crying: I would love it if you could tell me how to go about doing that in a humane way.

The heater we got is just set at 75 degrees and I can't make it any warmer. And I let the water sit with prime for a little and then test it to make sure there's no ammonia in the tank before I put him in. Thanks for the tips

I'm going to agree with Alex in saying that once they're that far pineconed it's unlikely they will recover :( In the early stages I have treated with metromeds and have been fairly successful but unlike goldfish who can dropsy many times before finally succumbing to it, it normally is fatal the first time with betta. The betta that I have had recover from it went on to live full lives and died of seemingly unrelated causes. I hope he pulls through for you!

As long as he's eating, you can continue treating for the 14 days

75F will be fine, but anywhere from 74-82 is a fine temp to keep them at. At 80F, it's considered ideal because they're at optimum metabolic function, but no scientific studies have ever confirmed this. It's just assumed from the average temp of their natural habitat :)

Edited by Narny105

As long as he's eating, you can continue treating for the 14 days

75F will be fine, but anywhere from 74-82 is a fine temp to keep them at. At 80F, it's considered ideal because they're at optimum metabolic function, but no scientific studies have ever confirmed this. It's just assumed from the average temp of their natural habitat :)

Thank you so much! And i don't know how much he's been eating or anything since he's my cousin's betta.

I'm going to agree with Alex in saying that once they're that far pineconed it's unlikely they will recover :( In the early stages I have treated with metromeds and have been fairly successful but unlike goldfish who can dropsy many times before finally succumbing to it, it normally is fatal the first time with betta. The betta that I have had recover from it went on to live full lives and died of seemingly unrelated causes. I hope he pulls through for you!

Thanks for your concern. I hope he lives too :undecided:

The heater we got is just set at 75 degrees and I can't make it any warmer. And I let the water sit with prime for a little and then test it to make sure there's no ammonia in the tank before I put him in. Thanks for the tips

So sorry about your cousins betta!

Just wanted to mention prime won't change your test results but that doesn't mean it isn't working. You can put it in and add the fish in immediately once treated with prime. If will detoxify the ammonia for 24 hours but if you have ammonia your test reading will still show its there (though at a detoxified state, ammonium I believe).

Also, this was the only article I found pinned on clove oil euthanizing, its about half way down the page.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/32080-euthanizing/

I found this one which might be better:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/articles/humanely-euthanizing-fish-r12

If there is a more up to date one, someone let me know.

Edited by CindiL

Also, this was the only article I found pinned on clove oil euthanizing, its about half way down the page.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/32080-euthanizing/

I found this one which might be better:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/articles/humanely-euthanizing-fish-r12

If there is a more up to date one, someone let me know.

Thanks I think I might euthanize him because he won't eat anything and just sits at the bottom. I'd feel better than just letting him slowly die. :cry