Cycling Mayhem!

msmayhem

Okay, I'm having a tank cycling heart attack >... <!!!

Firstly:

I have a 29gal long tank.. I bought it off a previous fish hobbist via craigs list.. I rised and scrubbed a clean unused sponge with hot water no chemicals.

A heater set at 82¤

No substrate

I used ammonium chloride solutionfor fishless cycling

by dr tims aquatics. I also used seachems prime to treat my tap water.

My tank log:

Aug 24th:

dosed amm to 4ppm

Ph of tap is same as tank... 8.2

I added prime.

AUG 30th:

Amm 4-5?

Nitrite 0 :c

I did a partial water change to lower amm like 10 gals.

24 hrs later no change in amm. Level so I did a 100 percent water change. I thought maybe I didn't dose the correct ammount of prime because honestly I don't really understand how to measure the dose using the cap. I feel dumb but the lines inside swirl upwards no leveled.

So I changed all the water and dosed a whole cap of prime(for 50gal) which I don't think it'll hurt will it? I dosed amm. to 2-3ppm afread to go to high.

When I tested the next morning I kid you not... I had a reading of .25 nitrite! I was uber happy and decided to add 2 more drops of amm. To helo increase the food ammount and colony size...

6 days later.. I got 2ppm amm reading. And my ph dropped to 7.4. And NO NITRITES.

HELP ME... I wanna do this right. Its my first time.

Hello, welcome to Koko's

Here is an article on fishless cycling written by our mod Tithra. Read through it, I think it will help you alot :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/112965-fishless-cycle-instructions/

Hello, welcome to Koko's

Here is an article on fishless cycling written by our mod Tithra. Read through it, I think it will help you alot :)

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/112965-fishless-cycle-instructions/

I've read through it.. I've read prolly 20 differnt cycling articles and have looked through many form post. But thanks.

For someone who knows a bit more on filtration here's picture of my filter set up.

I'm using Aqueon 75 and have taken out all the active carbon and kept the filter foss material. I also added ceramic rings and some sponges I bought from the dallor store. Most of the sponges there stated for not AQUARIUM use but I was able to find one set of sponges that did not state that.

20130908_195341_zps7037d115.jpg

What are your readings today?

Have you added more ammonia or done any WCs? :idont

Yes, I stated that at the end of my post

6 days later.. I got 2ppm amm reading. And my ph dropped to 7.4. And NO NITRITES.

Guess I should have said today instead of six days later haha.

To be honest, I am more surprised that you had nitrite readings after just a couple of days then no nitrites after about a week. It usually takes a good few weeks before nitrites begin to appear.

Keep in mind cycling a tank can take 2-3 months. You can do a couple of things. Leave your tank as is: ammonia 2.0, nitrites 0 pH 7.4. Or you can do a WC as studies show that the optimal pH for BBs is 8.3. So if you do a WC with your tap pH of 8.2 to raise your pH that may help speed things along a bit. If you do that, add ammonia back to the 2-3 ppm mark.

Do you know how long it took for your pH to go from 8.2 to 7.4? I know it was 8.2 on Aug 30 and is now 7.4 but did you test it anywhere in between? Also have you tested your tap for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? :idont

My concern with your filter set up is the sponges (which I would suggest aquarium sponges, I don't know that you'll get as good of water flow through those sponges) seem to be blocking much of the water from getting to the biomedia. With that filter I would put the sponges (or filter floss) toward the back of the filter and the biomedia closer to the tank. I will post a pic of my filter if you'd like as it's kind of difficult to explain with words . . .

I would really appreciate a photo of your filter set up and I suppose your right it dose see the sponges are blocking the water flow.. I only used them because I found quite a few people on youtube and other sites using regular sponges as filter media verse splurging on "aquarium sponges." Also I've seen many actual sponge filters being made with common sponges as well. But maybe the placement as you have suggest has a factor that I did not think of. I'll defiantly go to my local fish store to get some aquarium sponges in the morning, but regardless do you think I should put the sponges below the ceramic media?? The filter has these "premade"indents for the carbon active filter media and I truly did not know how to arrange the media accurately.

AND finally I did not know it could take 2 MONTHS! :( I guess I'm so excited and I need to be more patient.. I'm just worried that soemthing may not be right and if I just wait around and not pay close attention I mess it all up.

Your filter is obviously a bit different than mine but you want to do something kinda like this. Water will flow through the blue filter floss or a sponge first for mechanical filtration then through the biomedia. (Mine is in the gray cartridges)

Posted Image

This is the blue filter floss that I have. You can cut it to fit your filter and its only about $7.

Posted Image

For someone who knows a bit more on filtration here's picture of my filter set up.

I'm using Aqueon 75 and have taken out all the active carbon and kept the filter foss material. I also added ceramic rings and some sponges I bought from the dallor store. Most of the sponges there stated for not AQUARIUM use but I was able to find one set of sponges that did not state that.

20130908_195341_zps7037d115.jpg

I also have an aqueon, not this one but the 50, but its mostly the same except mine only has one slot instead of two. I also like the marineland filter padding, I use it too, instead of the sponges. Your flow looks correct though with the media being the last thing hit before the water returns to the tank. Here is a simple photo of mine. I can stack a couple bags of bio-max where you see the one bag.

DSC01502.jpg

Edited by CindiL

OKAY! So I did some reconstruction on my Filter. Firstly, I cut out the middle plastic piece dividing the media space. Next, I took the sponges and cut them into squares to allow more water flow. I'll update to real aquarium sponges when I get the time, but I think theses should be okay honestly. Next, I took clean unused shower scrubby things apart for netting the sponge squares together( i dont know the name of them) but I do know many people use these and they are safe.

22b04eb4-f73e-4b0d-81dc-f34d470666be_zps

Below is how I arranged the media.. I had to bend the filter floss thing to ensure all the water passed through it.. there was no other way.. My filter is soo oddly shaped. But anyways.. It appears to be flowing through everything evenly. I hope this is the issue and i hope its resolved. Thanks for your guys help btws! :) The pics helped soo much!

20130908_231505_zpsf9ef9dff.jpg

Edited by msmayhem

I didn't see a picture of your new setup but wanted to mention I have found turning the blue filter pad holder the opposite direction and cutting some of it out so its more or less just a frame gives a lot more room to put media. I don't show it in my current photo so I guess I should update that.

Sounds like you got it all figured out now though :)

I wouldn't wait too long to change the sponges to aquarium ones, I learned the hard way, I put one of those to control the current flow in the tank and withing two weeks I had tiny pieces of sponge all around in the tank, I had to do 100% water change and clean the gravel, I had to change everything in the filter... and some of my fishes definitely eat the sponge. not goldfish but neons that was back in the day tho.

Yeah, I really really would NOT use sponges intended for cleaning in a fish tank!! Just b/c they don't specifically warn you not to use them does NOT mean they are safe!! You can get filter floss very cheaply online--much safer!