Sign in to follow this  
Dennis

How to pack contents of HOB filter?

I'm not sure how to pack my filter. Should the contents be loose, fit (fill up most of the space), or be tightly packed.

My contents include ceramic rings and a thick, dense filter floss.

The problem is that if I pack it loose, it will allow the poop to get stuck in the larger surface of the filter floss, but I would have to reduce the amount of ceramic rings I have in.

But if I pack it fit or tight, it would mean the poop/food would get suck on the side right next to the pump. I've included photos to illustrate.

The floss in the photo below is one whole piece, It's not folded or anything.

tumblr_mstc73gwBE1s2zqqbo1_500.jpg

And below I used the arrows to demonstrate how the muck is getting trapped.

Since I have it fit, the red arrow, , the muck and dirt is getting trapped on the side which is portrayed by the blue and grey lines after the red arrow.

Or would it be better to leave it a bit loose so the muck gets stuck on the larger surface arrow and end where the blue arrow is? But doing this would mean I would have to reduce the amount of ceramic rings in. Is it necessary to put in that much?

Or should I use thinner pieces of filter floss next time?

tumblr_mstcbnpzN01s2zqqbo1_1280.png

I do mine bottom to top. I have the sponge on bottom then rings then floss.

I do mine bottom to top. I have the sponge on bottom then rings then floss.

Are you using an Aquaclear? I'm using an Atman and I don't think the work in the same way. I mean how the water flows. Do aqua clear filters pump the water from below?

Atman filters just pumps the water sideways. I'm sorry its difficult to explain.

But actually I could just switch the ceramic rings and the filter floss. But this would mean the ceramic rings will get very dirty quickly. Does this happen to yours? And do you rinse them often using the aquarium water?

I think how you have it packed is correct, but it's packed too tightly. The poop should get stuck where the blue arrow shows. When too much poop gets caught there, then you can rinse the floss in tank water to remove it.

I have an AC.

I also think it is packed too tight. You want to be able to take advantage of the largest side of surface area. What I think I would do is to find a way to keep the filter floss off of the back wall of the filter, so that the water can flow in behind it, and then through it towards the ceramic media. I would probably cut that piece and half and try to keep it off the back wall with something as simple as a rock.

I also think it is packed too tight. You want to be able to take advantage of the largest side of surface area. What I think I would do is to find a way to keep the filter floss off of the back wall of the filter, so that the water can flow in behind it, and then through it towards the ceramic media. I would probably cut that piece and half and try to keep it off the back wall with something as simple as a rock.

You are right about taking advantage of the largest side. I'll see what I can do about it tomorrow. Thanks! :)