Goldfish Gulping a lot of water?

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • * Water temperature?
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 28 Gallons, 2 Weeks
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Atman. 260 GPH
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? Daily 50%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today, 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 Ryukins. 2.5 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari Wheat-germ
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Alfred (calico Ryukin)
  • * Any medications added to the tank?
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Gulping a lot after water change and filter cleaning.

As I live in Thailand it is difficult to find the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. So I just ordered today separate kits from Hong Kong and hopefully that arrives this week.

Anyway, yesterday I bought a calico Ryukin, Alfred, and made all the necessary precautions you would do before putting a new fish in (equalise temperature, add a bit of tank water, etc) and put him in and he was totally fine for a day. However, after I did a water change (50%) he and Frederik began acting funny. Also I must add - I cleaned the filter. I took out the filter floss and replaced it with a denser one. All I did was replace the floss because the initial one I put in was thin and oddly shaped. I think this may have done something to the cycle?

Alfred is gulping quite a lot. And occasionally Frederik does this weird huge shocking gulp thing.

And lastly, I don't know if the tank is cycled or not because I don't have the test kits yet. But I'm doing water changes daily to keep down toxicity levels.

I've included a video I don't know if it'll help or not.

Also I just noticed that in the video he's pooping a lot. They only started popping after the water change. I feed them Hikari Wheat germ which is digested very quickly, but I only started giving them this today so I don't know if this is normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPIr5TpuVCk

Did you quarantine Alfred? It's important to quarantine new fish and medicate them accordingly before adding them to the main tank, so whatever they *may* be carrying will not spread to your other fish.

He's a beautiful fish, I wish you best of luck.

Did you quarantine Alfred? It's important to quarantine new fish and medicate them accordingly before adding them to the main tank, so whatever they *may* be carrying will not spread to your other fish.

He's a beautiful fish, I wish you best of luck.

No, I didn't quarantine him. I don't have a QT tank, but it is something I should get.

I hope he survives because he's a really cute fish :(

I think I should try reducing the water change to 30% tomorrow to see if this is better than a 50%

Hello Dennis,

welcome to kokos, nice to have you with us :)

would it be possible to take some tank water and some tap water down to the fish shop to where you purchased your fish, and ask them to test the water for you whilst you wait for your test kit to arrive? we really need results for these and we need the actual numbers from the tests. answers like "fine", "good" are of no use to us, we need the actual numbers for the results..

• * Ammonia Level(Tank)
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
  • * Nitrate level(Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)

also, when you said you changed the filter pads, was there other media in the filter?

I would prefer you increase rather than reduce the water changes.. so, it would be better if you increased to 70% from 50%.. decreasing the water changes only means that you are removing less of the toxins with each water change. the goal is to increase in order to remove more toxins :) since the tank has only been set up a few weeks, I assume that you are in process of cycling. if you totally changed the filter pads and there was no remaining media in the filter, then you've just thrown away the progress you've made for the past 2 weeks.

here is some information you can read to assist you with understanding the Nitrogen Cycle and how to Cycle your filter with fish in the tank http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

I do not notice an air stone in your tank. depending on the temperature of the water, the fish could be gulping or yawning because there is little air in their tank water. it is always wise to buy an air pump and add an air stone or air disc to the tank, this will most certainly assist in not only aerating the water, but to keep it circulating at a nice consistency.

and lastly, as Georgia mentioned, every time we buy a new fish, we like to quarantine them. we do this by using a Praziquantel product. Prazi assists in killing off the very common flukes and tapeworms that we know most goldfish carry.

the symptoms you mention can also be related to flukes, particularly any yawning, bottom sitting, darting, thrashing etc. as flukes are very common, even if symptoms are not displayed, the treatment is very mild and highly effective that we use it regularly as a preventative measure. what is available in your Country that will treat Flukes & Tapeworms? please check the fish store to see what you can buy.

since neither of your fish have been treated for flukes, you may use their current tank as their treatment tank. as this parasite is very opportunistic and should one have carried the flukes, then it's only a short matter of time that the other will also be affected.

Hello Dennis,

welcome to kokos, nice to have you with us :)

would it be possible to take some tank water and some tap water down to the fish shop to where you purchased your fish, and ask them to test the water for you whilst you wait for your test kit to arrive? we really need results for these and we need the actual numbers from the tests. answers like "fine", "good" are of no use to us, we need the actual numbers for the results..

• * Ammonia Level(Tank)
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank)
  • * Nitrate level(Tank)
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)

also, when you said you changed the filter pads, was there other media in the filter?

I would prefer you increase rather than reduce the water changes.. so, it would be better if you increased to 70% from 50%.. decreasing the water changes only means that you are removing less of the toxins with each water change. the goal is to increase in order to remove more toxins :) since the tank has only been set up a few weeks, I assume that you are in process of cycling. if you totally changed the filter pads and there was no remaining media in the filter, then you've just thrown away the progress you've made for the past 2 weeks.

here is some information you can read to assist you with understanding the Nitrogen Cycle and how to Cycle your filter with fish in the tank http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

I do not notice an air stone in your tank. depending on the temperature of the water, the fish could be gulping or yawning because there is little air in their tank water. it is always wise to buy an air pump and add an air stone or air disc to the tank, this will most certainly assist in not only aerating the water, but to keep it circulating at a nice consistency.

and lastly, as Georgia mentioned, every time we buy a new fish, we like to quarantine them. we do this by using a Praziquantel product. Prazi assists in killing off the very common flukes and tapeworms that we know most goldfish carry.

the symptoms you mention can also be related to flukes, particularly any yawning, bottom sitting, darting, thrashing etc. as flukes are very common, even if symptoms are not displayed, the treatment is very mild and highly effective that we use it regularly as a preventative measure. what is available in your Country that will treat Flukes & Tapeworms? please check the fish store to see what you can buy.

since neither of your fish have been treated for flukes, you may use their current tank as their treatment tank. as this parasite is very opportunistic and should one have carried the flukes, then it's only a short matter of time that the other will also be affected.

Hi Helen, thank you for your answer.

No it's not possible to get it checked at my LFS. The LFS only sells fish, small tanks, some medication, fo. The only place that would do it is the weekend market which is only open on the weekend. And I think the tests will have come by then. Sometimes Thailand frustrates me a lot ... :/

Yes, I still kept the ceramic rings that were in the filter. I just rinsed them using the aquarium water only a little bit. I just realised after throwing away the old pads that you're only supposed to throw away one, then the other one a week later. So yeah, 2 weeks gone. I hope theres still some BB in the ceramic rings.

And that makes sense, I'll do a 70% water change tomorrow :)

I have a HOB filter that does nearly 10X, and I don't really want to add an air pump because the ones available here can be a little too noisy. Both of the fish were perfectly fine and breathing at a nice pace up until I changed the water. And that was 20 hours after I bought the fish. But if I do need one, and I can find a quieter one then I will get one :)

And that's actually a great idea I didn't think of that! I'll see tomorrow at the store for some medication. This I know Thailand has.

ok dennis, we will wait for your test kits to arrive. in the interim, if you can maintain the 70% wc on a daily basis that would be great and even better if you are able to find the ant parasite meds, but if you cannot find a praziquantel based product, do check with us prior to using anything else.

I just need to learn one more thing. I realize that you did not answer the question * What kind of water additives or conditioners?

the water that you use to fill your tank, is it tap water? or well water?

ok dennis, we will wait for your test kits to arrive. in the interim, if you can maintain the 70% wc on a daily basis that would be great and even better if you are able to find the ant parasite meds, but if you cannot find a praziquantel based product, do check with us prior to using anything else.

I just need to learn one more thing. I realize that you did not answer the question * What kind of water additives or conditioners?

the water that you use to fill your tank, is it tap water? or well water?

I use tap water. Tap water in Thailand isn't treated the same as it is in western countries. You can't drink tap water here. It's clean to shower with, just not clean enough to drink. But to answer your question, no I don't use any conditioners or additives. I have a dechlorinater, but instructions are in Thai and I don't really want to use it.

can you please post me a link to the dechlorinator that you have?

can you please post me a link to the dechlorinator that you have?

Here you go -

It says Diamond Clean but I swear it's for fish and not to clean diamonds.

It looks fishy to me so I'm hesitant on using it.

Also I bought it a few years ago and never even used it back then. Just kept it in the storage room outside.

tumblr_mstgzauH1h1s2zqqbo1_500.jpg

Edited by Dennis

How about this? This was the only thing they had in my LFS. Different brands but all aimed at the same things.

There was something else but sold in a tablet? Aimed at amchor worms and treating protozoa and bacterial diarrhoea.

tumblr_msuw2nMXxJ1s2zqqbo1_500.jpg