Pink Goldfish

SwimmingPiglet

I'd be hesitant to feed goldfish a diet made for Betta fish. Betta fish need a more carnivorous diet than goldfish. Doing so just for color doesn't seem like a good idea in my opinion.

If you want a pinkish goldfish, go for a Sakura coloration. It would be a healthier option.

Yes the fish looks nice. It could be photoshopped, could be real, who knows. Probably has nothing to do with the food. I think what people are trying to say is that feeding a fish an abnormal diet to try to manipulate its color just isn't right. Sure, it may look fine on theoutside, but cancer iisn't often diagnosed by looking at someone if you know what I am saying.

I agree with the others that feeding foods just to make goldfish pink is not right. They're not flamingos. :rofl

HOWEVER!- There is a type of goldfish that appears pinkish called Matte goldfish, like DP pointed out. The reason they look "pink" is because they lack reflective guanine in their skin, so you can see the pink tissue of their gills and some of their muscle tissue underneath. Look at this beauty :

snap-color-8.jpg

The downside to matte fish is their life span is shorter

Where did you get this, G?

From me, I think. I'm just repeating a comment I've read from breeders who cull pinkies and don't produce calicos from a matt x metallic because the mattes are weak and poor breeders.

From me, I think. I'm just repeating a comment I've read from breeders who cull pinkies and don't produce calicos from a matt x metallic because the mattes are weak and poor breeders.

That's interesting. I wonder what makes it so.

Thanks, Sharon! :)

About the dyed goldfish...

"Dyes

A common method of creating "painted fish" is through injection via syringe. Generally, fish are injected multiple times.[1] Fish may also be dipped in a caustic solution to strip their outer slime coat, then dipped in dye. This method is reported to have a very high mortality rate.[2]

Many varieties of "colour-enhancing" foods for aquarium fishes are available to the consumer. Generally, these foods contain natural dyes, such as beta carotene, and are not harmful to fish, although as with other dye methods, the effect is temporary. One source reports that harmful dyes are sometimes used by wholesalers, however."

Not something I would support, unless I knew for sure it was via food containing dye.

Mattes are poor breeders and also are an unwanted trait. I don't think however this affects their life spans. It is true they don't reach the size potential but that is not necessarily a bad thing for the average fish owner.

Mattes are poor breeders and also are an unwanted trait. I don't think however this affects their life spans. It is true they don't reach the size potential but that is not necessarily a bad thing for the average fish owner.

I know of at least two breeders who are trying to turn Matts into profit. Giving them fancier labels often helps in their sale. Not saying that's a bad thing however. I've never had more of a problem with a fish due to its guanine amounts. I have a full Matt shubunkin that is going to be a ridiculously gorgeous fish if groomed well. While Matts aren't always good news for breeders as you've said it doesn't matter much to the average keeper. :)

Just saw this video on solid gold and thought of this thread.

It's too bad one of them just up an died. :(

Well it seems to weigh into the 'not as hardy' myth! ( I kid) That is a good example of someone taking a 'undesirable' trait, adding a nice name (ghosts) and trying to make a niche for it! They are quite pretty but I've always been fond of button eyes.