Why a goldfish?

nic

Thanks for asking this question Nic, I have really enjoyed reading through everyone's responses!

For me goldfish win for many reasons. Firstly, they are just so beautiful! And the more different colours and varieties you see, the more you appreciate how beautiful they can be! As Pearlscale pointed out, they also have the mystique of so many years of history.

I also agree with Tithra on the underdog thing - I feel like goldfish are quite underappreciated and misunderstood by the general public; case in point are goldfish bowls and the three second memory myth. Which makes the appreciation of people like us here at Kokos even more special! Also, you really see the benefits of the care you give! As i have slowly become more knowledgable and made changes to my care and maintainence, my fish have grown more beautiful and blossomed!

As people have said previously, they make great pets! They can identify different humans on the basis of sight or sound! When I arrive home from a hard day, I'm greeted at the door by my cat and then at the front of the aquarium by my fish - the swim up and down in their wiggly happy hello dance! And just sitting and watching them drift gracefully around, sift through the substrate and being friendly to each other is soooooooooooooooooo therapeutic!

They are just so beautiful and cute, and everyone who visits is drawn to them. I couldn't imagine my life without them! :wub:

• Supporter

Personally. I have just started getting back into goldfish.

I love all fish.

So to me I'd not be happy without a tropical tank of some sort. I want to try angels again with maybe some glass catfish and threadfin rainbow fish. Tropical tanks give you a lot more options and depending on the fish can be easier or harder than goldfish. But while tropicals give variety I find most to get somewhat boreing after while. I'd lose interest and they would end up dieing and I'd start over. I know that makes me sound like a bad person but I'm just telling the truth so just bare with me.

I never got as attached to tropicals as I have my goldfish. My goldfish I have much greater feelings for. They seem more loving and personal. I would never name tropical fish. They where just fish. I feel more obligated to name the goldfish.

Now the other side of tropical fish and the exception to much I said before is cichlids. Cichlids have personality as well not as warm to me as goldfish but personality. I got attached to and named cichlids I had. But as you may know when it comes to bigger cichlids they can be hard to keep together. This is another reason I like goldfish as a rule goldfish are much less aggressive and can be cept with others. They are social and will form bonds with one another.

I guess to me goldfish is more of a pet fish than any I have owned.

I don't see me losing interest I'm my goldfish ever. They are like a dog or cat a member of the family.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

You ask, Why Goldfish? I say, Why not Goldfish?

A little over a year ago my daughter, then 14 wanted a pet goldfish to keep in her bedroom. I let her have one which turned into two. They were in a very small tank and over a very short period of time every time I would go into her bedroom for whatever reason I would stop and watch her goldfish for a little bit. I thought they were cute and they looked liked the were happy to see me. They would come up to the front of the tank. I started feeling sorry for the two of them in that little 5 1/2 gallon tank. So we upgraded. A lot of members here know my story. I've said it before. :) We kept upgrading. My daughter had a 29 gallon tank in her bedroom eventually. I was really loving it. I found myself wanting to go into her room to see the fish. ha ha I remember my daughter would be in her room at her desk trying to do her homework and I'd be talking about her fish to her. I never really thought of this until now. :)

To make a long story shorter I had asked my daughter if she wanted a bigger tank to keep in the livingroom. I told her I'd help her with the water changes if she needed the help. I bought the bigger tank, we bought more fish, and I now take care of the fish. I love taking care of the fish. I don't mind taking care of them at all. I still call them her fish at times here and they are to a point. ha haha Our last 5th fish is actually mine though. I picked Jet out.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of the fish because they are fun to watch. They do have personalities. I hate to say this but ,.... I like the fact that they are in an aquarium and not all over the place like my dog and cat are. The fish are contained in whatever area you have them in. (I have a dog and cat and love them dearly.) Once I start a wc I actually enjoy doing them. I kind of find it relaxing. I feel like I accomplished a lot knowing I did something really good for our fish.

I have a feeling I'm going to be keeping goldfish for a long while now. I hope I have these 5 for years to come. :)

Edited by 4prettyfish

It's okay that you're drawn to other fish as well. It just means you're showing early symptoms of multiple tank syndrome. ;) I have three tanks (Two are small though) and would be completely happy to set up more if I had the space/money.

There are definitely other fish that have personalities but goldfish are one of the few whose personalities are so happy-go-lucky and loveable. Cichlids and bettas are two other personable fish that come to mind but their personalities are generally more pouty/moody unlike our happy, derpy goldies. Don't get me wrong though, I adore my betta. I'm also having a lot of fun working on my small planted tropical tank. Regardless, though I care deeply about all my fish and get very sad if anything happens to any of them, I see the little tropicals as more of a "hobby" or "project" and the goldfish and betta as more of my "pets". I'm not sure if our goldfish really care about us or not but it's much easier to feel a bond with them than with most other fish. I also think that a happy, healthy goldfish is one of the most gorgeous fish you can keep. If your heart calls you to goldfish then listen to your heart!

I've seen some really nice planted setups here. It is a good place for ideas. My luck the fish I pick out will end up viewing them as a salad bar. I guess it will be a nice change if I can blame the fish for a plants demise instead of myself.

Tammy (yafashelli) has monster plant eating goldies and still manages to keep a beautiful planted tank, so even if you get unlucky in that regard it is possible to work around those hungry fish ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is very true. My fish are very badly behaved, and think that everything is a salad bar. If you would like some ideas for setting up a planted tank (or protecting the plants that you have), then I'm your girl. :rofl3

I chose goldfish because my son brought home a fair fish. While I didn't start out with much of a choice, I can't imagine a house without them. They're so friendly, and always moving! :)

It's okay that you're drawn to other fish as well. It just means you're showing early symptoms of multiple tank syndrome. ;) I have three tanks (Two are small though) and would be completely happy to set up more if I had the space/money.

There are definitely other fish that have personalities but goldfish are one of the few whose personalities are so happy-go-lucky and loveable. Cichlids and bettas are two other personable fish that come to mind but their personalities are generally more pouty/moody unlike our happy, derpy goldies. Don't get me wrong though, I adore my betta. I'm also having a lot of fun working on my small planted tropical tank. Regardless, though I care deeply about all my fish and get very sad if anything happens to any of them, I see the little tropicals as more of a "hobby" or "project" and the goldfish and betta as more of my "pets". I'm not sure if our goldfish really care about us or not but it's much easier to feel a bond with them than with most other fish. I also think that a happy, healthy goldfish is one of the most gorgeous fish you can keep. If your heart calls you to goldfish then listen to your heart!

^This exactly. I was looking for a non-furry pet alternative, and I think of the goldfish as pets rather than just fish. Someone here once talked about that all their tetras were named Steve. I like that, and it shows the difference between many schooling fish and goldies. Goldies are distinct and have names and personalities. :) Plus, there are all the other reasons listed by everyone here. :)

As for plants, you definitely can have them with goldfish. You also could try a few different tank mates, if the conditions are right (plants help with that a lot). Other species don't always work out, so be prepared for that, but some are tentatively doable.

In addition to goldfish, my planted tank is currently home to some glowlight tetras, cherry shrimp and horned nerite snails.

9565401329_3d10a1d79a_b.jpg

I keep coming back to this thread and love all the responses everyone has taken the time to write! Definitely has me excited with no doubts in mind. In time I'll be able to share my own answer :)