Sign in to follow this  
nic

Why a goldfish?

In a short time I've read a crazy amount of info on goldfish, have seen my share of videos, and have spent time on a couple goldfish dedicated channels. I know there is a lot more out there I've not touched on. Maybe I tried to take in too much at once. All the research gives off the impression of goldfish being more work than other fish and also limiting in that you're restricted on what other aquatic life you can put in the tank with them. Two things that can turn some people away. I don't know much about other fish so my thoughts are based only on having done research on goldfish.

That said I'm curious as to what draws people into having them as pets over other types? Is there a tradeoff for the work involved? I hope that is not taken with any offense. I'd like to hear from the perspective of goldfish owners. Maybe it seems silly to ask but how did you get into keeping goldfish and why do you enjoy it?

In a way I feel oddly compelled to try another goldfish. But there are some things I am not sure about.

Well for me, I like my common goldfish because they do great in my pond. Very colorful, active, and can stay uner the ice all winter. In my tanks I keep fancy goldfish. Nice big ones. They are friendly and will eat out of your hand. My tank is basically a decoration. I don't really find it hard to take cafe of them either

I love goldfish because they have such strong, individual personalities and I feel that I bond with goldfish in a way that I don't with, say, a school of tetras :) I am able to give each goldfish personal care so I develop strong attachments to each of them.

To put it simply: It is personal preference.

I actually first thought goldfish would be easy Pets that could be kept in a small aquarium in my college dorm. As this website shows, I was completely wrong on most counts.

I find goldfish to be more work than my parents' old tropical tanks. I suppose this is because the goldfish need much more space than most of the tropicals we had. The maintenance is enjoyable IMO and allows for more time to spend with the goldfish.

The interaction factor is sky high, especially compared to tropical tanks. Many of the fish my family used to keep didn't even notice our presence. Goldfish, on the other hand, will immediately zoom over to interact with you once they know you are the food source. All of my fish, past and present, even enjoy(ed) playing tag when I mess around in their tank.

Goldfish are an addiction. That's the reason I have for your itch to get another. :)

I love that goldfish have big personalities. They are very social and interactive fish, not to mention incredibly adorable. I don't have a ton of experience with other fish besides the discus and other smaller tropical a my parents kept when I was a kid, so this is going to be a broad generalization, but goldies just seem so much more interactive and interesting than most fish to me.

Part of the intrigue for me is also that they are not necessarily the easy beginner fish that people make them out to be. They are totally the underdog of the fish keeping world ;) I want a pet, something that requires my care and attention because I find it rewarding.

I also love the size of goldfish. They can really be impressive in terms of their size, not to mention colors and other attributes.

Most of all my fish make me smile every day. They are beautiful, graceful, and silly. This all makes the work they require worth it ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goldfish because:

1. A single species has so many different types. You don't actually need to add any other type of fish in there and still get a huge colorful range.

2. They are fun and interactive.

3. I love their shapes, colors, and personalities.

4. Easy to care for, once you respect their requirements.

Because I NEEDED a semi-social fish. I used to get tired of my tanks when I kept some tropicals because cleaning a tropical tank feels like cleaning a painting... :rofl

It's nice to have fish that will approach you rather than hide or simply ignore you. I like that it took me about 5 minutes before they would eat out of my hand. (They won't leave me alone when I'm trying to get anything done in the tank now though. Although, I suppose that's nice too)

This is actually a really good question.

I never chose to get into the hobby of goldfish, I was instead thrown into it, and by no means was it unpleasant. When I got my first goldfish (a pair, actually) I knew straight from the bat they had the biggest personality. You couldn't pass by them without them noticing you and beg for food. When they passed away, life wasn't the same with out goldfish. Sooner or later I started to do more research on these guys and started taking better care of them. To many, yes they are difficult fish, expensive fish. :rofl But hands down are the most energetic, playful, and friendly fish there are, IMO. There are SO MANY varieties. No two goldfish are the same.

I always had tropical fish when I was younger, but I was always attracted to the plump, adorable look of goldfish. About a year ago, after watching goldfish videos on youtube, as well as stumbling into kokos, I became a victim of the 'itch'.

I really agree with everyone else...they do have so much personality, appetites, and so much more :heart Plus, through the amount of care and attention goldfish need, you create a strong bond with them :)

Edited by teleSC

What everyone else said. :) I fel into it too. Had most of the different freshwater they sell at pet stores, but they were just fish. I never thought I'd be so attached to fish. Or stare at them for hours. They have tremendous personalities. They interact with me.they make cute faces.they grow quickly into beautiful moving art. I've never had a hobby but this has turned into one. I'm so glad..I never feel lonely!

Edited by blubblubblub

First and foremost. This forum. Want to fit in and everyone here has goldfish. :r030:

Also I just love fish to me they are one of the easiest pets you can own. Prevention is the key. Once you get that in your head the rest is easy. :fishtank:

They are a body for the many voices in my head to have. :D

It's the personalities! Each one is different and each has a quirk something funny they do. My Baby likes to splash, Basil is a show off when he swims, Cupid is a loner but he likes to be around my hand when it's in the tank, Cilantro is super social with everyone, and LP is new so I'm still learning about him but he's pretty chill :)

They are easy to care for and relaxing to watch :)

They are a body for the many voices in my head to have. :D

And this!! :rofl :rofl :rofl

It is the personality for me as well everyone I have ever know with tropical fish tanks the fish don't pay attention to you like goldfish do. They have this adorable babyish look to them too.

I agree with the others above too :) Goldfish are more challenging than I expected, but their personality and goofiness and enthusiasm is what has captured my :heart

As long as they are given enough space, proper filtration and hefty water changes weekly you will get back more than you give :nana

I was originally and still partially by the fact that goldfish are as domestic as fish come. Domestication is an extremely interesting process that humans partake in with a species of animal and we keep many species of animals that remain undomesticated and most likely never will be. Goldfish as a domesticated species are ancient. They've been intertwined with humans for so long and have such a rich cultural background. We use terms to describes breeds without thinking about where the name has come from. Ryukins were developed in the ryukyu islands of Japan. Demekins were bred to look like proud dragons. Goldfish came onto the scene around 960. That is an incredibly long time ago! Fancies appeared in the mid 1300s. This is a fish that has seen a good portion of modern history, and we are slowly learning as a society to give them the respect and care they were initially given. All I really want to do is be part of that process; seeing and treating goldfish as if they were as valuable as in the Song Dynasty.

I used to think I'd never want fish because they were boring and all they did was swim around in circles. (I had pretty much only ever seen goldfish in bowls)

Then came a time when I had so many animals (at the time I had 6 cats, 2 dogs, 4 rats, 2 rabbits, and 2 birds) that I thought I may as well had some fish to the mix.

I got my first two goldfish and immediately started getting attached. As I started taking better care of them I got even more attached. I find them so playful and friendly and fun to watch.

While I've contemplated getting a tropical tank one day, I don't think I ever will. When I go to the pet stores I just see the tropical fish, all pretty and such, but just ignoring me, swimming around, doing their thing, but when I see the goldfish they are always exploring or coming up to see who is looking at them :)

It's an aesthetic judgement of taste, I think. I just like them, even if no one (myself included) can figure out why. :)

Wow what an awesome bunch of responses :) This is what I was afraid of, completely bad influence here LOL.

My bf has a few fish and I asked him if he's ever hand fed them or thinks that he could. Or if he's given them people food. He chuckled probably thinking I was a lil nuts for asking. When I told him you can with goldfish he goes maybe those are the fish for you. Watching so many videos it was the interaction and personalities that put me in awe.

Also the fact that I killed a comet in 6 days when I know people have done less than me and keep them alive for years is a challenge I welcome. I don't like failing at petcare. Much rather be spoiling them. Speaking of, I still need to put the poor lil comet to rest...

A non goldfish tank is still appealing to me. Plants in an aqaurium is one aspect of 'gardening' I've not yet touched on. Seeing the different aquascapes people come up with are really amazing. And I love the variety of fish even without the interaction.

But at the moment I think I will put my focus into goldfish. As if I haven't spent enough time online reading up and watching videos... :)

Well you all can expect a lot of questions, this time I'd like to be ready before bringing home a goldfish, or two!

Edited by nic

I like fat derpy fish that wiggle.. and wiggle... and wiggle.. and wiggle...

Nic, you can successfully keep plants and goldfish together, so gardening is still an option! The selection of plants is a slightly more limited one due to goldfish appetites, so it will challenge your creativity.

Wow what an awesome bunch of responses :) This is what I was afraid of, completely bad influence here LOL.

My bf has a few fish and I asked him if he's ever hand fed them or thinks that he could. Or if he's given them people food. He chuckled probably thinking I was a lil nuts for asking. When I told him you can with goldfish he goes maybe those are the fish for you. Watching so many videos it was the interaction and personalities that put me in awe.

Also the fact that I killed a comet in 6 days when I know people have done less than me and keep them alive for years is a challenge I welcome. I don't like failing at petcare. Much rather be spoiling them. Speaking of, I still need to put the poor lil comet to rest...

A non goldfish tank is still appealing to me. Plants in an aqaurium is one aspect of 'gardening' I've not yet touched on. Seeing the different aquascapes people come up with are really amazing. And I love the variety of fish even without the interaction.

But at the moment I think I will put my focus into goldfish. As if I haven't spent enough time online reading up and watching videos... :)

Well you all can expect a lot of questions, this time I'd like to be ready before bringing home a goldfish, or two!

You can still have plants with goldfish, in fact I would encourage it! Some fish will eat plants others won't, if you have fish that eat plants you just need to put a little more thought into your plant choices, choosing larger leaved or tougher leaved plants. It's really all trial and error ;) I'd encourage you to browse our planted tank section to get a sense of what people here generally keep on their tanks. The majority of us here do keep a planted tank on some level ;)

I've seen some really nice planted setups here. It is a good place for ideas. My luck the fish I pick out will end up viewing them as a salad bar. I guess it will be a nice change if I can blame the fish for a plants demise instead of myself.

I've seen some really nice planted setups here. It is a good place for ideas. My luck the fish I pick out will end up viewing them as a salad bar. I guess it will be a nice change if I can blame the fish for a plants demise instead of myself.

Tammy (yafashelli) has monster plant eating goldies and still manages to keep a beautiful planted tank, so even if you get unlucky in that regard it is possible to work around those hungry fish ;)