Sign in to follow this  
Cyprinidae

Are These Goldfish Compatible?

Hi all!

I have a friend who is going off to college, and he was wondering if I would like to have his oranda goldfish!

Naturally, I really want to take him, but I am not entirely certain that he will be compatible with my fish.

I am getting a 40 gal tank, and I will put in it my fish (a streamline/fancy cross) and hopefully his fish.

So,

Would a large Oranda be compatible with a small mixed-breed fish? My little guy is not a streamlined type of goldie exactly, but he isn't quite a fancy either...

Would this work out? Usually my fish isn't very fast, but if he got bigger would the oranda have trouble competing for food?

The oranda is 3 inches and my fish is about 2

Thanks!

-Cyprinidae

Compatibility is a more fish-by-fish basis type thing. So QT his fish and then try them together. We'll only know if we try.

ok! thanks! i guess that if they don't work out together I can give him to someone else. There was another person with a 30 gallon willing to take him if I cant. I really hope it works out though! he is super cute! Thanks for the feedback

There is not much of a size difference between those two. Also, in most cases, the whole theory of "fancies and single tails can't mix" is really a myth. 3 inches is still pretty small for a fancy, so I'm pretty sure they can both swim at around the same speed.

And, hey! We'd love to see pictures of your duo. :)