hole in wen please help

LouiseAnn

I cant tell if it looks better or worse... what do you think????

20130919_202418-1_zpsc1c96854.jpg

another one... this is day 10 of Romnet TC. Jeff I have put the kenalog on just after these pics were taken.

20130919_202415-1_zps8a452675.jpg

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked my calculations and I have been putting salt in the water at 0.2% so I put more in tonight so its at 0.3% and tomorrow I will put more again and make it 4%.

Thank you all for your help. I'm sure Tiger thanks you too :D

I'm sorry Tiger had a set back from his sore/ulcer. Poor thing! I sure hope he recovers from this. I'm far from one of the experts here but to me it doesn't look bad considering the set back. Keep positive thoughts LouiseAnn.

Jeff: Your fish is beautiful and how remarkable of how you had to try to catch him to do treatment on him. But no antibiotics! I hope he gets to looking 100% better also.

In my opinion it's not a lot worse but sometimes camera angle can makes a lot of difference. It can make it looks better or worse than it's actually is, so we may have to also rely on your opinion too. Anyway I should say Tiger should is not in any danger at the moment unless his health deteriorates (already touched wood for mentioning it).

There is another concern which I have but I chose not to interfere in the beginning. It's regarding the amount of medicated food you are pumping him. I've never like the idea of feeding during treatment let along feeding so much pellets. Imho you should only be feeding the medicine and not so much pellets. For me I just use the appropriate amount of medicine in my gel food and feed 2-3 times a day. My priority is to maintain good water and not to have a bloated fish fighting to clear his gut and also makes the water dirty. The latter Dirty can easily caused a relapsed fairly quickly, so be careful here.

Jeff

Of course the med is important, but some of them are not very palatable.

As for the not eating during treatment. To me this amounts to the same as telling cancer patients to avoid this and that food, for fear of cancer coming back. That makes absolutely no sense. You need to have a certain amount of energy, fish or mammal. In the case of the fish, it starts to slow down, which to me would make it even more susceptible. Try starving the fish for duration of treatment and see what happens.

You are absolutely right of course that keeping the water clean is pivotal, but I think it's possible to feed the fish AND have clean water always. There is a far cry between overfeeding and feeding. I bet that if you weigh things out, you feed your fish much more than 1% body weight daily.

Alex And Jeff:

I think I understand what your trying to say Jeff, the food to med ratio is in favour of food. I'm all for feeding more of a normal amount of food by using gel food, I just really need help figuring out how much to put in the gel and how much to feed him.

Ideally I think gel in the morning and at night and one feed of coated pellets in the middle of the day would be perfect. What do you think?

I'm getting worried because I don't want resistant bacteria!

Tiger is still swimming around and seems normal in regards to his behaviour. For that I am thankful.

I am MOST worried about the redness under the hole on his cheek. Hopefully the kenalog makes that go away !

Alex, I think you've gone a bit to the extreme. If it's not palatable, then there are many ways to make it attractive like add a drop of fish sauce to their food. I use my normal gel food and it works 100%. Don't worry, they will not stave to death even in a week without food but what I'm talking here is about feeding the right amount of medicines without adding too much food. of course not starving them during the whole period of the treatment.

Alex, I think you've gone a bit to the extreme. If it's not palatable, then there are many ways to make it attractive like add a drop of fish sauce to their food. I use my normal gel food and it works 100%. Don't worry, they will not stave to death even in a week without food but what I'm talking here is about feeding the right amount of medicines without adding too much food. of course not starving them during the whole period of the treatment.

Jeff, but that's just it. I think the amount that LA is feeding is nowhere near "gorging" the fish, and I think that you are feeding your fish way more on any given day.

However, as LA expressed a desire to make gel food, I was going to show her how to do that.

Please keep it mind also that without a true stomach, the fish can only absorb so much med per weight of food. Adding more isn't necessarily going to mean more meds to the system.

Regardless, I do appreciate you helping out. I don't have any issue with trying it your way. So, why don't you advise LA on how to make her gel food then, please. :)

Alex, it's ok for us to argue a bit here and there and at the same time hopefully we can gain someting along the way. Actually I fine with you doing everything here, so guiding the making the gel food for LA should be a job more appropriate for you. I only mentioned about not needing to feed so much food is related to LA fish having this relapsed and nothing else. I'm also here because I think I can help with treating Tiger's ulcer. So if she can con't with the Kenalog application 3x to stabilize the ulcer, the rest I'll leave it to you. Anyway I'll have tons of fish work outside once the rain stops. :)

Cheers

Alex, it's ok for us to argue a bit here and there and at the same time hopefully we can gain someting along the way. Actually I fine with you doing everything here, so guiding the making the gel food for LA should be a job more appropriate for you. I only mentioned about not needing to feed so much food is related to LA fish having this relapsed and nothing else. I'm also here because I think I can help with treating Tiger's ulcer. So if she can con't with the Kenalog application 3x to stabilize the ulcer, the rest I'll leave it to you. Anyway I'll have tons of fish work outside once the rain stops. :)

Cheers

Jeff, I meant what I said. Please do continue to guide Louise Ann, especially because she is already following the Kenalog usage as well.

You should know that while I may disagree with you (or anyone else) on certain specifics, I did ask and appreciate your help in D&D, and that has not changed. :)

o_O

If it helps now that I have my two point scale I just need to know how much to feed him per day and I can work it out from there.

I'm fine with making the gel food. I just don't understand what the tub is telling me in regards to dosage.

p.s. I love that you two can debate without actually arguing!!

:)

Don't worry Alex, I'm still here it's going to be rainy/stormy for the next several days. I can't finish my pond and start with my breeding anyway. Just help LA with that gel food please.

Cheers

o_O

If it helps now that I have my two point scale I just need to know how much to feed him per day and I can work it out from there.

I'm fine with making the gel food. I just don't understand what the tub is telling me in regards to dosage.

p.s. I love that you two can debate without actually arguing!!

:)

I love it too! A true debate is an awesome thing to read/witness. When two well educated people can state their side with evidence and well thought out points it allows all us little people to learn :P Plus you get to learn or have doors open for learning as well! :P

For some reason I am so interested in these wen ulcer threads. It's an interesting topic to learn about and I'm glad that the both of you can help these two members in their time of need.

I forgot to take a pic before I put the kenalog on. Sorry guys. Im home over the weekend so I will take a pic in the morning.

Alex can you please let me know how much longer you think Tiger will be on the Romnet TC? Just going to try figure out the gel food tonight.

That's fine without the pic for now. Just a reminder you only need to apply Kenalog once per day and 3 times only, that's means Sat will be the last application. I'll discuss with Alex whether there is a need to add anything in the water after that. As a matter of fact I'm rather surprised that it got reinfected so quickly.

Bad shot but as I was holding him the feeder went off and all he wanted was his food haha. You can see the bottom of the hole is much less red. So the kenalog is working. Yesyerday it fell off after 10 mins, today it stayed on for about two hours.

Tomorrow ill put the kenalog on one last time.

That shot looks scary, can see his eyeball even but it looks fine, definitely not red anymore. Kenalog will bring tranquility to the wound and it will enhance rapid healing if everything else is in place, clean water, salt, antibiotics (Romnet).

You can add a drop of water to make it softer while mixing. If you do it right, it can stay there for several hours actually.

ooh ill try that :) Ill put some more on now...

The white in the middle looks very much like allot of wen growth.

So Today is day 12 of antibiotics. I hope he can come off them soon!

After the meds stop, is there anything I should have on hand?

If he has a relapse I think Ill take him straight to the vet. (the vet that treats fish gets back on Wednesday from a conference).