Sign in to follow this  
LouiseAnn

hole in wen please help

20130917_213157_zps65264409.jpg

Tiger today. White starting ti form around the edges of the bottom of the crater.

is that wen growing through? new wen? I think it looks quite good :D

(off topic, my Romet TC arrived today.. thanks so much, hun :heart )

is that wen growing through? new wen? I think it looks quite good :D

(off topic, my Romet TC arrived today.. thanks so much, hun :heart )

I think it is new wen! But im not sure. I just wish the pink would go away.

Im glad the romnet tc came in :) although I hope you never need it xo

Tiger, day 9 of meds, I must say I am worried. Hopefully its just me being paranoid again but his hole on the bottom edge looks red now.

Could it be like before when it went much more red and gross before it got better?

Or just tell me im being silly lol.

This pic is the same angle as the rest.

20130918_195115_zpsf515db71.jpg

This one is taken higher than the rest, you can see the red bit. And he feels much more slimy than two days ago!

2013-09-18195921_zpsbeb9da9a.png

Should I get something else to treat Tiger? Like hikari bio bandage? I just feel its slowly getting bigger. Has anyone successfully treated fish ulcer? Can someone please confirm hes still getting better?

Trying to be hopeful.

Let's wait to see what Jeff says. I actually don't think it looks bad.

I have never seen a ulcers healing process. If you say its looking good and progressing well I totally trust you. I'm just getting nervous because tomorrow is day 10 of meds. Hope his little body is ok with so much antibiotics.

I'm sorry LouiseAnn, I'm afraid your instinct is correct, it does look bigger. If you were to compare your pic #72 (after I said where is the hole?) Tiger may be having a relapse. This can be due to his health has deteriorated as you've also mentioned in another thread that he is bottom sitting. It can also be that your water is not right, fungus or flukes eating away the tissues.

Ok not to panic, first a couple of questions. Is he still in QT? Have you got salt in there, if yes, at what concentration? Do you still have the Kenalog? If so, please apply it again for once a day for a period of 2 days. Just use your finger and rub it into the wound. It should work again if your fish health is still good. I've good faith in Kenalog more than anything else.

Tiger is in QT, Salt is in the water, Yes I have the Kenalog, I will put some more on when I get home. And Ill test the water when I get home. Today is day 10 of antibiotics. should I keep him on them?

Salt needs to be @0.3% and 100% w/c daily. I'm not sure about that Rommet C as you know I don't have it. (ask Alex).

Im pretty sure when i calculated how much salt to put in it was for 0.3 %, and have been doing 100% wc daily. Have you successfully treated wen ulcer? It seems the wen is the only thing being effected at the moment.

same story, wen goes white, then hole gets bigger.

Oh Tiger please get better :cry1

That's good regarding your water management. When new tissues are growing you can really see the difference between what's good and what's bad. They usually turn from red to pinkish, then white but sometimes whites also means fungus or flukes eating away the new tissues again. Sometimes it's not easy to tell for the untrained eyes. That's why I usually suggest you compare with previous pics.

Yes, I've successfully treated a number of ulcers cases but unfortunately also have lost some good fish.It's not so straight forward or easy to treat. I got one fish under treatment right now, if the weather is good I'll try to take a pic and show you. His cheek ulcer is much worst than Tiger but he is recovering well.

I would actually inch the salt up to 0.4% even.

Thanks Jeff, I would love to see a pic of your fish in treatment :) and thank you for the link!

I feel that the pic where his wen looks clear is misleading. When I look back on other pictures taken on the same day it looks just as pink /red as the later ones, just not as white. but I do think its bigger. I just don't know.

I feel at this point its tough to balance medication with immune support. If I keep him on the antibiotics will that harm his immune system and kidneys effectively making him worse? BAH lol

Few questions:

1. just rang my vet, they treat fish. Do you think its worth taking him to the vet?

2. I have a sponge filter in my established tank, would it be worth putting it into Tigers QT so he has some beneficial bacteria in his tank? (ill keep up the WC of coarse)

3. I have some food by microbe lift that is an immunostimulant with probiotics and some sort of clay in it. Worth feeding him this coated in the antibiotic?

4. I can make gel food with acidophilus probiotic, garlic and whatever else is antibacterial / immunostimulant foods if its going to help?

O_o

I normally use 0.5% salt as standard but chose not to recommend this here as it'll contradict with practices here. (I do 0.5% at one go not incremental of 0.1% every 12hrs)

Please don't waste anymore of your precious dollars here, just give Kenalog a second chance. it'll work. You should ask Alex when you should stop the Rommet C and perhaps to start with acidophilus probiotic afterwards when the Rommet is done.

Not advisable to use sponge during treatment as you are doing 100% w/cs anyway, hence bio filtration don't help. Further more sponge carries bugs.

OK Thank you Jeff, I'm going to check I'm adding enough salt and start the kenalog again.

Alex, I hope to hear from you regarding if keeping up the Romnet TC is still recommended and safe for tiger :)

Thank you both very much for taking the time to help me treat my Tiger. I would be totally and completely lost without you!

I actually would like for you to ring up the vet, and tell him/her what's going on. Say that you've been using Romet TC in feed, and it seems to help, but then he relapses. As if they would be willing to give you a better suited broad spectrum med, even Baytril, although I would not name it outright.

What do you think?

The vet that treats fish is away until the 26th :(

I have emailed them with pictures and treatment. See how I go :)

Keep us updated, please.

In the mean time, let's keep going for a tad longer with the Romet. How much has he been eating? Did you make a new batch? Let's increase the number of pellets by 5 each day.

Thanks Alex. I did make a new batch, and coated half microbe life staple diet and half NLS goldfish. I increased his pellets two days ago from 20-30 to 30-40 per day (the feeder spits out different amounts each time)

I don't think he can eat much more than that. I might make some gel food tonight with the romnet TC in it so he eats less but gets more antibiotics...

Will you please help me figure out how much to put in?

if I make 1 cup of gel food out of peas, spinach, & spirulena how much Romnet TC should I put in? Ill only make it if you think its a good idea. ;)

I will have to do some calculations later in the morning, but this is very doable. You would want to weigh the food though, since that will be more accurate. :)

I'll get back to this later today.

I'm back with my pics. This 4 inch+ lionhead is one of my culls and live in a planted tub without filtration. I noticed he got an ulcer in earlier Sept but I couldn't catch him as he is like a wild fish, very smart and quick. I finally caught him and began treatment on 7/9/13 with first a 3% salt dip, then Prazi for 48hrs and Kenalog 2 days with 0.5% salt in water. After that salt reduced to 0.3% due to introduction of new medication call General Aid. This is for helping to repair surface wounds, increase slime coat and also general anti-protozoan. Tank is 12L with 100% water changes daily, no heater and expose to cold Spring weather between 7- 2o deg C. Also he has not been fed with any antibiotics.

Notice how clean the wound is. New tissues are growing all around the outer edges (more towards the eye), it's just like new wen, nice and firm. Some white tuffs are normal and may fall off from time to time when new growth comes thru'.

IMG_1944_zps0cb82c5e.jpg

942d1cfd-139a-44d8-bd57-e6ecba410368_zps

I hope that helps.

Wow. Its much more white than mine isn't it. Well its a good comparison. Thankyou :) I hope tigers keeps improveing. I have an updated pic on its way

Alex my two point scale came in today :) now I can weigh properly