hole in wen please help

LouiseAnn

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks worse :( some of the white that was there has gone but where it was now its RED. Is this normal for the ulcer to expose itself? Or is my tiger in trouble!

I feel sick.

• Supporter

I am no wen ulcer expert hun.. but I do know this for normal stuff. healing often presents as white. it is a very good sign that the pink/purple that showed before has gone and the site has reduced & moved away from the eye.

I am hoping when Alex & Jeff see this, they will confirm what I am saying. to me, I am happy to see what you show in the pic.

fingers crossed all is still well & moving in the right direction :)

I agreed with Helen here. When I first look at that pic, my first impression was it looks good until I read you next post. You always have to compare with your previous picture or in your case, the last few days. It's very easy to get disoriented looking at it a few times a day...lol so please don't panic.

If you were to compare with your first pic, the outer ring is rather pinkish, now turned wen color and that is a very good indication that it's under control. In the middle bit will usually recover a bit later. Tissues usually grow from the outer circle towards the middle, while in the middle may also appears to be shallower when new growth is coming thru'. Your heater is a great benefit there as it promote metabolism and medicine absorption. What you have to make sure is, don't let any infection set in again, esp. fungus.

Do you have 0.3% salt in there? (please keep it there until you can see a near recovery). :thumbup2:

I'm so happy to hear that your fish is looking better. Your doing a great job with his care. I hope he doesn't take much longer to be looking all better. :)

Jeff: I enjoyed reading your post about the importance of large wc and your explanation on it.

I'm so happy to hear that your fish is looking better. Your doing a great job with his care. I hope he doesn't take much longer to be looking all better. :)

Jeff: I enjoyed reading your post about the importance of large wc and your explanation on it.

I'm glad they are of some help, I learnt from others too and also have developed some techniques out from my own practical experience, usually when I stumbled onto anything useful, I'll just past them on.

Ok thankyou once again everyone! SaLt is in there ;)

It's good to know. Hopefully you should see a major improvement in 3-5 day's time but for the whole crater to close fully, it will take a bit longer.

Today is day 3 of meds... tomorrow and Saturday left. Ill post a pic on Saturday and see if you all think he should stop the meds.

Tiger has figured out when the feeder makes noise it feeds him. So funny to watch him dart from wherever he is in the tank straight to the feeder haha.

Hello Louise Anne,

I look forward to the pic updates. :)

I can tell you now that I don't anticipate recommending ceasing the meds on Saturday, and expect the treatment time to run closer to 10 days rather than 5.

I'm glad he is doing well and has figured out the feeder. This can continue even after you're done with the medicated food. :)

Today is day 3 of meds... tomorrow and Saturday left. Ill post a pic on Saturday and see if you all think he should stop the meds.

Tiger has figured out when the feeder makes noise it feeds him. So funny to watch him dart from wherever he is in the tank straight to the feeder haha.

Hi LouiseAnn, please don't mistook me for telling you to stop medicating in 3-5 days time. I'm just hoping that he will improve a lot during that time. I'll let Alex tell you when to stop.

Also, after filling up everything and ready to pay, I'm really disappointed to find that Guppy's Aquarium online charges $33 postage (even for one item) to ship over to the West. That's shocking! as other charge less than $10. I won't be buying anything from them. :no:

Edited by RanchuJeff

$33! Gee wizz thats a bit much! Guess when they tell ya there adding a discount they make it up in other places :( my postage is much cheaper to melb.

Well it was cheaper... hopefully the postage hasnt bumped up for everyone !

Hi LouiseAnn, please don't mistook me for telling you to stop medicating in 3-5 days time. I'm just hoping that he will improve a lot during that time. I'll let Alex tell you when to stop.

Also, after filling up everything and ready to pay, I'm really disappointed to find that Guppy's Aquarium online charges $33 postage (even for one item) to ship over to the West. That's shocking! as other charge less than $10. I won't be buying anything from them. :no:

Jeff, may be you can go in with Helen for an order. Perhaps that would make things cheaper?

• Supporter

they tried to charge me $45 for 2 tubs.. I wrote them an email last night. they said that was for express post.. :o Christ.. no way.. anyhow, I had a very brief conversation with a guy there and they reduced it to $19.60AU via fastway courier... and then I proceeded to tell them that I HAVE a fastway account and their 3 kilo satchels only cost $8. because I WANT the stuff, I shut up n paid the reduced amount, but yes, unless I really have to in the future, I won't be buying from them again.

45$ what a ripp. Sorry guys. If you find somewhere else please let me no! Its not that expensive for me... but good customer service means allot to me. Id rather pay someone that wont completely ripp people off.

Anyway. Tigers hole is much deeper than I thought. I can see it properly now most of the white in the middle has gone. Its still very red but it must hav been like that under the white stuff. More of the edges of the crater is a good wen color. He still bottom sits every now and then but only for a few seconds. He seems a bit happir in his qt tank. The pic will be uploaded next. Its a bad shot but he just would not stay still today. Didn't want to handle him too much. Dont think ive washed my hands so much in my life!

Edited by LouiseAnn

It's a healing process, those white tuffs are loose anyway and will eventually falls off making way for new growth to come thru'. The middle part will usually form last. It's still in the very early stage or recovery so not to worry. Just keep doing what you've done, you'll be alright.

@ Alex, thanks for your suggestion to enlist Helen's help but I think I can do without those stuffs anyway. I came across a few of these cowboys already, they make everything looks cheap and then whack you with shipping costs. Don't worry I'll get around my problems even if I have to resort to some unorthodox methods. :thumbdown

• Supporter

It's a healing process, those white tuffs are loose anyway and will eventually falls off making way for new growth to come thru'. The middle part will usually form last. It's still in the very early stage or recovery so not to worry. Just keep doing what you've done, you'll be alright.

@ Alex, thanks for your suggestion to enlist Helen's help but I think I can do without those stuffs anyway. I came across a few of these cowboys already, they make everything looks cheap and then whack you with shipping costs. Don't worry I'll get around my problems even if I have to resort to some unorthodox methods. :thumbdown

Jeff, if ever you need some, just like I sent you the Fenbedazole, I would be happy to send you some Romet TC.. but there is something you have that I cannot find *hint hint* :rofl

• Supporter

going from previous pic to this, I am still happy with the progress. I think we're moving in the right direction. at first, you can expect really fast improvements.. but then the finer healing will take some time :)

to me, I see less fuzzies, a much cleaner site, also, the redness has reduced significantly :)

2013-09-14143620_zpsa8ee09d2.png

Still couldn't get a good pic. But its half way through day 5. All the edges of the crater are wen color, no more white bits, no more super red bits. The core is still a bit red but its not fleshy, its starting to get that white film over it like wen growth. Hes still active and still gobbles up his food like its going out of fashion.

:) it actually looks better to me today :) ill keep him on the meds until told to take him off.

Should I do anything with the tank he came out of? Will the bacteria be in the water or the filter? Should I clean it? The others look ok... accept my panda's white bits is looking a bit pink. Might be paranoid. .. could just be changing color

He is most definitely improving, and this is the sort of positive changes that we always hope for! I do think that we will probably go the 10 days, and while I don't anticipate needing to go longer than that, let us all review before stopping the meds.

I don't think that you need to do anything to the tank, or to medicate the others. I am definitely of the school of not hesitating to treat when it's needed, but never more that that. If you like, I would love to see some pics of the panda! :)

20130914_155004_zps77268b6f.jpg

Andi is the one in the background. his beautiful dorsal fin was broken by the silly shop attendant that was jot carefull using the net :( i live him anyway. Hes gone a pink color otherwise fine. Squirt is the one in the foreground.