Sign in to follow this  
LouiseAnn

hole in wen please help

I have not swabbed again :) How often would you recomend adding kenalog?

Kenalog added again :) and a WC. hopefully my calculations are correct regarding his food rub. Ill buy a scale that will weigh in miligrams in my lunch break today. FYI those outside Australia its 8:15am here

OK Tiger is 55 grams.... aaaand I'm lost lol. Please help me figure out what on earth all this means lol.

DIRECTIONS: In order to coat 2.5lbs (40oz.) of food, add ½ -1 oz (2 tbsp.) of Romet TC to a container with 2 oz (1/4 cup) of water to create a slurry for coating the food of your choice.

Romet TC should be fed at a rate equivalent to 50 milligrams of active ingredients per kilogram (23mg/lb) of live body weight of fish per day. As an example, for actively feeding fish, feed at the lower concentration (1/2 oz. per 2.5 lbs: approximately 1 tbsp. per 2.5lbs.) for five (5) days. For less active fish, feed at the higher concentration (1 oz. per 2.5lbs: approximately 2 tbsp. per 5 lbs.) for five (5) days.

I'd like for you to coat 0.5 pounds of pellet food. That's a lot, but you can save it for later use, if need be.

This means that you should add 1 teaspoon of Romet to 0.4 ounces (12 grams) water.

Feed as much as he will eat in one minute, but do this 3-4 times a day.

Thank you so much for making sense out of all that instructions :)

I coated the food and fed him about 4 pellets. Thats about all he can fit in his mouth. Then he chews for a few minuits. He gobbled them up willingly :)

I hope this works!

How many days should I feed him the meds?

I don't want Tiger to get better and then have the bacteria get resistance to antibiotics.

Thank you so much for making sense out of all that instructions :)

I coated the food and fed him about 4 pellets. Thats about all he can fit in his mouth. Then he chews for a few minuits. He gobbled them up willingly :)

I hope this works!

How many days should I feed him the meds?

Sounds like you got it working. How was the coating process? Did it dry properly?

I don't want Tiger to get better and then have the bacteria get resistance to antibiotics.

Of course not. In order to do that:

1. Please make sure to feed several times a day. How big are the pellets?

2. I don't know for how long. I know that it's at least 5 days. We will stop when it's time.

Only took a few minutes for the pellets to soak up the slurry. Its much easier than I thought :)

The pellets are 2mm.

Ill try pick up an automated feeder for tiger today :)

Ill keep posting pictures of the ulcer across the 5 days and see how he goes. Man I hope this works!

I hope so, too! :)

For a fish that size, he needs about 20 pellets a day.

OK Tiger is gonna get fat and healthy hahah!

Thanks again for your support. I would not have worked all this out myself :/

I'm sorry to see that ulcer so darn close to his eyes. He's a beautiful fish. I hope you see some results in 5 days and that he just continues to gobble up that food. That's great that he likes it.

In so many ways, this ulcer should have good prognosis. The ulcer, while serious, is in a shallow place of the wen, and so we can see the progress.

I have not swabbed again :) How often would you recomend adding kenalog?

Please apply the Kenalog once a day for 3 days only. That's means you've started yesterday, last application should be on this Thursday. Frankly speaking this ulcer don't seems to be very aggressive since it has started more than 6 weeks ago. You must have also been doing something right to slowed it's progress but not enough to progress to a cure, maybe what you need is an antibiotics or something like Rommet TC.

I've read your info on your first post. There are a few things that I would like to comment.

1) 20% water change weekly is definitely not enough......you'll need to do at least 80% (with fish inside)and once 100% (remove all fish and thoroughly clean tank but not the filter at the same time) per month.

2) Ehiem 2213 is too small for 150L with 5 fish. More suitable model is the professional 2224 , for goldfish more filtration is better. However you can still overcome this shortcoming by doing more w/cs and filter maintenance.

3) 5 fish in 150L is ok but you must do more w/cs in order to compensate otherwise it will spell trouble or at best your fish will have anemic growth.

4) water temp of 16 deg C...feed only once per day, don't overfeed.

Back to your Tiger, what's the QT tank size he is in at the moment? You should be doing 100% w/cs per day if it's less than 30L capacity.

Cheers :)

Qt is 30l tiny but its all I have. Definitely do 100% per day especially if tiger needs to be fed so much! Im going to put a heater in the tank too so his metabolism speeds up. (Hope thats correct)

I didn't mention in the start I run a sponge filter in my tank too. If you don't mind me asking... why do you recommend 80% per week and how do you figure out stocking amounts? Please don't be offended my the question. I genuinely would like to know the reasons behind recommended WC & stocking levels. Or even point me in the right direction of a info sheet somewhere in this forum :) I have always just gone by my bio load. As long as my water chemistry is in the ideal range I will do weekly 20% WC...

Fyi totally happy to increase the wc amount ;)

In so many ways, this ulcer should have good prognosis. The ulcer, while serious, is in a shallow place of the wen, and so we can see the progress.

I sure hope he gets better. I purchased a auto feeder so he gets the correct dosage during the day :)

Qt is 30l tiny but its all I have. Definitely do 100% per day especially if tiger needs to be fed so much! Im going to put a heater in the tank too so his metabolism speeds up. (Hope thats correct)

I didn't mention in the start I run a sponge filter in my tank too. If you don't mind me asking... why do you recommend 80% per week and how do you figure out stocking amounts? Please don't be offended my the question. I genuinely would like to know the reasons behind recommended WC & stocking levels. Or even point me in the right direction of a info sheet somewhere in this forum :) I have always just gone by my bio load. As long as my water chemistry is in the ideal range I will do weekly 20% WC...

Fyi totally happy to increase the wc amount ;)

QT( needs bigger size and filter) or rather treatment tank of 30L is perfect as you don't want to use any filters...why? ... It's more effective and have less complications. You can use heaters as it offer lots of benefits but do watch water temps closely when changing over. If I were to use heaters I normally set up 2 identical tubs set to the exact temps and I just swap fish over.

Regarding stocking level and w/cs? I'm afraid that will be be easy to explain in a couple of paragraphs. You also have to consider your feeding regime and what you want to achieve? Are you happy with just having a nice tank with a few gfs and lots of decorations, plants, lightning etc...or you want to groom your fish big, nice and fat? or it's just fish that are surviving and not thriving.

In general, where aquariums are concerned, bigger is usually better. The bigger the environment, the less volatile it will be with regards to water quality, temperature, and maintenance. A larger tank requires less regular maintenance than a smaller tank, and will allow you to keep more (or larger) fish.

Many people are skeptical about the limitations on tank size for Goldfish because they go to pet stores and see 20 fish crammed into a 10 gallon water volume. What they don't realized is that the actual water volume is a lot more than 10 gallons. A typical chain store circulates water through all of their tanks from a central large tank...a common reservoir that is circulated through all of their display tanks. Unless you are doing the same in your home aquarium, you need to restrict the number of fish according to the size tank you have. Sometimes you see them cramp lots of fish too in a small tank without seeing any pipe connected outwards but what they don't tell you is their water changing regime. Anyway what every they do, they objective is just commercial and will try to keep all their stock alive and sell them quickly. They don't bother about growth rate and sometimes not even their well being.

Nitrate is the main contributor in floating problems and anemic growth. If you feed a lot then you've to change a lot of water, this two go hand in hand. There is no other way effective way to remove nitrate other than thru' w/cs. Most western books/practice will tell you to do 20 % w/c per week. In Asia they practice large w/cs like what I've told you. I can't do links here as it not allow but you always Google and see your yourself. (you can try key words like Finnmod

forum, Arofanatics Fish Forum, Site for GoldFish keepers) etc..

Let me show you with just a simple example, say your 5 gfs generate 20ppm of nitrate weekly.

First week you do 20% w/c, theoretically your nitrate will drop to 16 ppm and if you were to do 80% w/c, then your nitrate will only be 4 ppm.

Second week....29 ppm for 20 %w/cs and 5 ppm for doing 80% w/cs.

========

Fast forward to the 4th week.

@20% w/cs your nitrate will be 61ppm after w/c and because I've recommended to do a 100% w/c monthly your nitrate level will zero and only be 25 ppm on both 3rd and 4th week.

If you follow top view hobbyist, they do not use filters but with just an airstone or two and rely on 100% w/cs every 4-5 days to groom their fish.

Thanks for that explanation! Makes perfect sense :) I have put the heater in and turned it onto 22 degrees. I'm not sure what temp is ideal.

Of course not. In order to do that:

1. Please make sure to feed several times a day. How big are the pellets?

2. I don't know for how long. I know that it's at least 5 days. We will stop when it's time.

My auto feeder only lets mt do 6 feeds in a day... however it feeds about 6 pellets at a time. Will 6 pellets 6 times per day be too much?

Edited by LouiseAnn

LouiseAnn, would you be as kind as to link me to where you purchased the Romet TC from? (product & company) I would like to buy some too :)

I actually prefer a QT of 40L, or 10 gallons. It's small enough that 100% WCs are not tedious, and small enough that you don't have to waste tons of meds, but big enough that it can comfortably house 1 (or 2 in a pinch) goldfish for treatment.

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au

LouiseAnn, would you be as kind as to link me to where you purchased the Romet TC from? (product & company) I would like to buy some too :)

Sure Helen! Its by Microbe lift. Purchased from guppies aquarium products online store.

The 1st link is the home page. Just in case you loose the link.... Down the right find fish & reef foods, then its in the microbe lift legacy koi and goldfish food.

Second link is direct to the legacy koi and goldfish food folder. Its the first one on the page. There food seems ok too :)

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/fish-reef-foods/microbe-lift-legacy-koi-gold-fish-food/cat_249.html

Edited by LouiseAnn

That is so fantastic, Louise Ann! Thank you!

Jeff, if you are reading this, you should get some too. This stuff should be quite useful! :)

Day 2 of romnet TC. Tiger is in 22 degrees, auto feeder set for 6 feeds per day. 2-5 pellets fall out at a time. 100% WC per day.

Kenalog applied for the last time.

Ill post a pic when I get home tonight. Might video too.

He bottom sits every now and then for a few seconds. Otherwise he's a active and eating :)

Jeff, if you are reading this, you should get some too. This stuff should be quite useful! :)

LouiseAnn, a big Thank You for providing this link. There are also Paraguard, Praziquantel, Metronidazole etc.. in there too. Now someone is really thinking in OZ by bring them in. :thumbup2:

LouiseAnn, a big Thank You for providing this link. There are also Paraguard, Praziquantel, Metronidazole etc.. in there too. Now someone is really thinking in OZ by bring them in. :thumbup2:

Just talked to guppies online store...HE DROPPED THE PRICE OF ROMNET TC FOR THE NEXT 7 DAYS FOR YOU ;) ccan sometimes tell Helen.

LOL..here and reading.. thanks hun, I will get online and buy a truck load tonight ;)