hole in wen please help

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank
    • * Nitrate level(Tank)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • ph- 7.4 KH-0 GH 8 drops
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • PH - 7
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?
      • drops API
      • * Water temperature? 16 degrees
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?
      • 150L about 6 months seeded with 3 yr old established media
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
      • eheim 2213
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 20% once PW
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
  • yestedday 10%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size?
  • 6cm-11cm 5 fish
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?prime, blue salt
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day, 4 different microbe lift foods, NLS Terra A, home made gel food, Mr Medic Persona, fresh peas, blood worm, brine shrimp
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Tiger was new 3 months ago. QT 3 weeks. issue started showing appx 6 weeks after purchase.
  • * Any medications added to the tank? 4 days ago, Salt
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. added Pimafix when started, then after 10 days and a few WC added salt @ 3% + 2x salt dip, fed food soaked in garlic elixirfor 7 days, then did bi dailyb betadine swabs across 10n days WC regularly without adding salt again. Tiger got better,it was about 6 weeks he was better. hole started filling, then RELAPS 4 days ago :(
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no other signs of anything
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? active, chasing the girls around eating lol

Hi Everyone,

Please help...My fish Tiger has a hole in his wen that is getting worse, any advise or ideas are welcome. I have a antibiotic food rub coming in the mail, would love to hear your thoughts on if I should use it or not. I really want tiger to get better!!

Tiger is about 11cm nose to tail tip, the hole is about 5mm wide and 3mm deep. its pink around the edges, and red in the middle, not bloody or seeping anything. there is a white dot in the middle that developed today, it doesn't wipe of when I swab it though.

Ill post a pic when I figure out how ;)

Were all of the medications administered in a qt? Is he currently in qt? If not, please set one up.

Also, five fish is very overstocked for 150l. Generally we recommend 56-75l per fish minimum. Your WCs are also very low, as we recommend at least 50-80% weekly, and even multiple times per week for overstocked tanks.

Do you have a way to get photos of the hole? You can upload them to photobucket and paste the image link here.

Edited by ChelseaM

I'm trying to sign up for photobucket... I will increase my WC. I didn't think 5 small fish in 150l was over stocked :( Tiger is by far the biggest O_o

Tiger was originally in QT when I first discovered the hole forming, but he was put back when the hole cleared up.

Will putting Tiger in a QT tank with a non cycled filter do more harm than good to Tiger? I normally keep the filter sponge for my QT tank in my other established tank so that QT is cycled and not stressful. But I had to clean it when QT was over a few weeks ago.

I was planning on treating the whole tank anyway because they have now been exposed to what ever is wrong.... hope I'm not doing everything wrong :(

hope this is the correct code lol

tigerimage3day4_zps35fffb43.jpg

LouiseAnn,

Do you have a good relationship with a vet that you can ask him/her to give your some broad spectrum antibiotics, like Baytril?

Ill ask my local vet. Poor tiger. I just want what's best for him :(

Limited access to meds here. I found a food rub by microbe lift called romnet tc. Its made of sulfadinmethoxine and ormetoprin. Is tjis a good one to use? I was advised this is broad spectrum.... but that was from the same store that advised me to do the Betadine swab and apparently thats not good for tiger either. Feeling a bit lost :(

Hi LouiseAnn, I'm glad you had posted in the d&d section along with a photo of your fish. The Mods here are great and you are in good hands here. I'm glad your fish is doing okay and has a good appetite. Hopefully his sore will look better before too long once a treatment has been advised.

hun, can you provide an online link to the product? I am having a hard time finding it and want to do some reading. the site is really close to the eye and I am concerned that any topical treatments might cause problems to the eye if they were to spill onto it.

explain to me exactly how 'relapse' presented.. how did you notice the site was relapsing? did it fill and then form that pimple on top?

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/fish-reef-foods/microbe-lift-legacy-koi-gold-fish-food/legacy-immunostimulant-food-40lbs-18-144kg-/prod_2650.html

Thank you.

The hole cleared up from any signs of red pink. It started closing in but never fully closed. Then a few days ago I moticed it was pink around the edges of the craiter and progressively got darker. The white dot in the middle only formed yesterday and was never there the 1st time it happened. The dot is raised kinda like wen growth and is about 1mm high.

The crater never filled in just stopped being pink red and slowly got smaller.

Thankyou very much :)

my concern is that you believe this food has antibiotics in it. from the link you posted, I don't see any antibiotics in it. can you? if so, let me know which of it's contents is an antibiotic & I will google it to see if it can be used for wen ulcers.

RanchuJeff suggested an over the counter med in Cheryl's thread. Jeff is highly experienced for fish with wens as he breeds Ranchu. if there is no actual antibiotic in the food that is coming in the mail, I would strongly recommend that you follow his lead on this. wen ulcers must be resolved or they will continue to present and possibly cause multiple ulcerated sites on the fish.

I was thinking to ask you if you wanted to follow the path we are taking with Cheryl, but after seeing how close the ulcer is to the eye, I don't think we can do that. the recommended antibiotic mentioned is Kenalog. see if your chemist stocks this tomorrow or check online to see where you can order it from.

let me know :)

It says whats in it half way through the description, I missed it too the first time I read at it ...sulfadinmethoxine and ormetoprin. I don't want to feed them anything that will make him worse!

ok, I have submitted a report on those two substances to the Moderating team for discussion. we will cross reference and respond tomorrow (time zones! lol)..

Ooooh THANK YOU!!! :) :) :)

anytime :)

Hi, LouiseAnn, the Romet TC should be fine to use, and is a very decent med. Even if you don't turn out to need it this time, it's good to have on hand.

Kenalog is a little different. It's not an antibiotic, but a steroid, used to suppress inflammation, etc.

Oh thank you! I'm so glad I posted on here :D

Romnet TC came in today :) I will weigh Tiger when I get home. I might check mmy dosage calculations with you aall before I feed. :)

Yes, please :)

Are these pellets or flakes?

Its powder. IT says to add water and rub food into it . Should I be adding something to my water? Shouldi treat all other fish?

Thank you

Its powder. IT says to add water and rub food into it . Should I be adding something to my water? Shouldi treat all other fish?

Thank you

Great! Thank you for the clarification.

I would follow the directions on how to add it to food, if they provide any. If not, then I can help.

No, since the other fish are not affected, they don't need to be treated. Some things you will need to, but not this. :)

Ok thanks. Ill do a big WC when I get home and weight tiger. Hopefully this works! !

OK Tiger is 55 grams.... aaaand I'm lost lol. Please help me figure out what on earth all this means lol.

DIRECTIONS: In order to coat 2.5lbs (40oz.) of food, add ½ -1 oz (2 tbsp.) of Romet TC to a container with 2 oz (1/4 cup) of water to create a slurry for coating the food of your choice.

Romet TC should be fed at a rate equivalent to 50 milligrams of active ingredients per kilogram (23mg/lb) of live body weight of fish per day. As an example, for actively feeding fish, feed at the lower concentration (1/2 oz. per 2.5 lbs: approximately 1 tbsp. per 2.5lbs.) for five (5) days. For less active fish, feed at the higher concentration (1 oz. per 2.5lbs: approximately 2 tbsp. per 5 lbs.) for five (5) days.

I need to get a better scale.... I think (im bad at math) Tiger needs 2.7miligrams per day for 5 days.... but I don't have a scale that reads that low. On another note... I just put some kenalog on tigers ulcer. A little blood (less than a mm dot) came off it. And there is more white in the middle :( but the pink around the edges has cleared up.

I'm getting very worried for him. I have been reading through a few other posts and the verdict does not look good. :no:

Should I maintain 3% salt in the aquarium or leave it clear? Also I have noticed Tigers right side is fatter than his left. -feeling nervous-

tigerpic4day7_zpsa7abded4.jpg

Looks like surgery is not a good option here, as it already spread on top of his eye. Face/cheek ulcer usually spread sideways but it can also eat right thru' the bone too. It's good that you have already applied the Kenalog. It should adhered easily, if it falls quickly then just mix it a bit with water before applying it next time. Also need to apply with a bit of pressure to fill up the hole. In about 3 day's time you should know whether it works or not.

White in the middle could be new tissue growth or even flesh eating fungus, most importantly it should not have a red ring (active rotting) around it. Anyway you should not be swapping it anymore, otherwise it'll just get bigger. Yes, ulcers are very difficult to deal with but not impossible to cure.

Imo, you can leave salt @0.3% (not 3%) in there unless Alex think otherwise. Also don't worry about his stomach not being symmetrical for the time being, it's not life threatening.

Good luck.