Ruben's Refurbishment :)

Helen

• Supporter

It's beautiful, Helen! Now, of course, you'll need more plants. :rofl

Be sure to watch for ammonia spikes, for the first few weeks; they're quite common when adding this kind of planted substrate.

thank you :D the company that sold me the eco complete mentioned this in an email, so I have been doing 50% daily wc's and adding Prime at waterchange and then half way to the next waterchange.. so basically every 24 hours he gets a 50% wc and 2 doses of Prime. Ruben is not impressed. he does not like being bothered with anything other than food :blink:

Looks great Helen!!!!

thank you Mikey :)

Really nice Helen :)

I never had an ammonia spike with my eco complete. Maybe thats because I rinsed the heck out of it? Anyways, you may get lucky that way too.

Ruben is such a gorgeous Betta and I'm glad he's liking his new home.

Are those anubias in the left hand corner? I couldn't tell, make sure their rhizomes are above the substrate if so. I'm sure you already know this but jut in case!

• Supporter

Very nice :) I think some nice amazon swords would look great and he would love laying on the leaves :)

thanks hun, I like your recommendation of amazon swords.. I think I will get some :) I have seen them around and once entertained potting them in the giants tank and never got around to it :)

The tank and Betta are beautiful.

thank you Heidi :D

Looks great Helen! And Ruben is just so handsome. :teehee

he is! thank you :) and he's very lucky to have survived the heater incident.. even though he's missing a gill plate and part of his skull, we've saved the eye & he's doing well :)

Too cool and great choice of words for the title. :rofl

What is the plant in the left had corner? Is it a ground cover??

thank you! :D

to my left, there are anubias, to the right, something I saw in PSP's tank that I have totally forgotten what it's called :o (it's an age thing.. :( ) but I will find out and post back :D

• Supporter

Keep us updated on the growth! Glad you know about the ammonia, mine got off the chart last night before I realised. Must be packed full of nitrogen!

Good luck, and it's looking good :)

I will! and I am more excited now that I will be looking for Amazon Sword! :D

Really nice Helen :)

I never had an ammonia spike with my eco complete. Maybe thats because I rinsed the heck out of it? Anyways, you may get lucky that way too.

Ruben is such a gorgeous Betta and I'm glad he's liking his new home.

Are those anubias in the left hand corner? I couldn't tell, make sure their rhizomes are above the substrate if so. I'm sure you already know this but jut in case!

thank you :) , there is Ammonia reading in his tank, so I am being very careful to monitor that closely :) I was recently told about the rhizomes, I didn't know that before since all my anubias is on driftwood and in a bare bottom tank. but when I make the next wc in the giants tank, I will take some overgrown anubias and re plant Rubens tank this weekend when I get the Amazon Sword.

Rubens a looker! Your tank look great too!

thank you!! :D

Looks great

thank you Mr G :)

So glad that Ruben got over his sulking and drama queen reaction so he can enjoy his GORGEOUS new surroundings! Lovely setup!

yes! me too! it took him so long initially, I actually grew so concerned over it that I made a FB post for moral support :rofl :rofl

but yes, I am pleased that he's parading around like a champ and enjoying his new set up :)

thanks Dee Dee :heart

Glad he seems happy about it now Helen! It looks great! You should look into getting some Crypts as well.... they are my favorite! They grow SO GOOD for me with fairly low light... I have never had an issue with them so it would be great for you!

• Supporter

Glad he seems happy about it now Helen! It looks great! You should look into getting some Crypts as well.... they are my favorite! They grow SO GOOD for me with fairly low light... I have never had an issue with them so it would be great for you!

thank you Haley!

I will look at those too! poor Ruben :rofl it's only a 5 gallon & soon, he will have no room :tomuch:

• Supporter

Dan, here is the ebay purchase on the ground plant, I am guessing, since I have very little plants in Ruben's tank that this is what you're referring to :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281154774406?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_605wt_1170

Haha I need to take a picture of my 5 gallon betta tank! It is so full of plants! But my betta LOVES it! He is constantly swimming through the plants and hididng in them it is so funny..... I need to make a thread on that tank... I haven't updated in a while!

• Supporter

Dan, here is the ebay purchase on the ground plant, I am guessing, since I have very little plants in Ruben's tank that this is what you're referring to :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281154774406?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_605wt_1170

Right on. Thanks, Helen. :)

• Supporter

Wow!! His tank looks beautiful and he is gorgeous himself! I love what you did with the bubbles! :)

Thank you An :)

today when I did the 50% WC, I thought 'what the heck, I will just expose the rhizomes of the already planted anubias'.. so I did, and much to my surprise, whilst I was flicking the soil with my index finger, Ruben decided to attack me! multiple times!! almost like he's saying 'well finally you got me something nice, DON'T RUIN IT! SHOO!' :rofl :rofl

I am glad I witnessed this as I had never seen him flare before, let alone attack :o and so now I know, not only has he lost a gill plate and part of his skull, but he's lost that flare thingy from that side too :o what a trooper..

very nice! now you just need more plants :rofl

that is interesting about the ammonia and eco complete. I had never heard that about eco complete, and never experienced an ammonia spike in either of my tanks when adding eco complete. That's good to know though!