A hole in Jet's wen

4prettyfish

Mikey: I thought you had a very special pet store that carried it. :) It seems hard to locate any at a store. I take it that the product is usually purchased over the internet then. If I have no luck I'll be ordering it. Are there other places besides amazon? I haven't searched yet. Just wondering if you knew off top of your head.

Hey, Aren't you in school still?

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mikey: I thought you had a very special pet store that carried it. :) It seems hard to locate any at a store. I take it that the product is usually purchased over the internet then. If I have no luck I'll be ordering it. Are there other places besides amazon? I haven't searched yet. Just wondering if you knew off top of your head.

Hey, Aren't you in school still?

I'm sure they could order it for me :). But I got mine off amazon. I can't think of a place excepts online. Sorry.

Nope not anymore :). I've been out for an hour or so :D

As far as I know she is up on her water changes Ive only seen pics of that fish and he/she is a big one not sick she has had him for years. I think his wen might need to be trimmed and he cant see that well to swim she said it pretty much covers his eyes so she must be doing something right for his wen to grow so much. I did refer her here but she doesnt seem that interested. She did say she doesnt want to get anymore goldfish at this time because they would be faster than this and steal all the food and it wouldnt be fair.

Also when I was telling her how the petstores were telling me to only do a 25% water change once a week and how the ammonia got so high on my old tanks that my fish kept getting sick and dying she agreed with me on that and told me she does a bigger water change once a week.

Cheryl,

Try to see if you can get the Kanaplex today or tomorrow locally. The idea is that we want something in the water ASAP. That will give us time to evaluate him some more, decide on possible wen surgery (scarier in thought than actually in practice, I promise), and for the Medi-Gold to get to you. Since Kanaplex will kill off your BBs, we are back to QT, and monitor parameters and doing 100% WCs as needed.

Throughout all this, I am very optimistic, because of where the hole is, and how it looks. :hug

Just a quick comment for Sherry -

I do agree that older/bigger goldfish can become less active, but bottom sitting or hanging out at the top most of the time isn't really the norm, or should not be the norm at least. So, if any large fish is doing that, chances are there is something that might be happening. It doesn't mean that treatment is called for, but just that something is off.

Alex: One of the salt fish stores doesn't carry it. The one I went to ...the manager is out for about an hour and he's going to call me back. I met him already. He was one of the guys that delivered my tank last week. I'm hoping he will sell me some. If not, I'll order it. For now do you want Jet in the qt tank?

added: I don't think I'll be able to drive out of town seeing it might be another hour before the Manager calls me. I've had time to really think about surgery on his wen. I can do it. I might not know how to get a photo up on my avatar or sig. ha ha ha but by golly with all of your help we will make Jet better. I've had my share of surgeries and all and seeing Taylor fall when she was little and needing stitches in back of her head and another time above her eyebrow. I hate spiders but I'll be strong for this if need be. I'm going to go on line and ck out the kanaplex just in case I need to order it. Thanks again.

I do have that other stuff until I get the kanaplex.

Edited by 4prettyfish

Thank you Mikey for the infor above. Much appreciated. As you can read I'm trying to get some. :)

Sherry: I would love to see her fish. I've read that if wens cover the eyes it's okay for fish even if they can't see. They will still be able to find food. Sounds like she doesn't want to ck out Koko's. Too bad. Glad she is doing big weekly wc's.

It looks like I need to order it on line. The second fish store got back to me and the guy I was talking to earlier said it must have been sold, that he didn't see it now. :( I don't know. :(

I'm ordering it. I was on amazon like Mikey suggested :) and want to make sure this is it. Seachem KanaPlex 5grams $5.99. It looks like a swab/q-tip. Do I order this? One or two? Thank you. Much appreciated with any help.

Hi Cheryl,

I hope Jet's issue heals quickly! I treated in a 20 gallon tank and found that I needed two packs of the Kanaplex for 10 days, but I was doing a 100% WC daily. The "swab" is actually a measuring spoon for the drug.

Also want to mention that Seachem can get a little spendy for meds. This site has some good deals on larger amounts:

http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/products2.html

Edited by schoolie

Hi Cheryl,

I hope Jet's issue heals quickly! I treated in a 20 gallon tank and found that I needed two packs of the Kanaplex for 10 days, but I was doing a 100% WC daily. The "swab" is actually a measuring spoon for the drug.

Also want to mention that Seachem can get a little spendy for meds. This site has some good deals on larger amounts:

Thanks a lot Rob for the info. That gave me an idea of how much to order. My fish store where I bought my new tank ordered me some. Hopefully some will come in tomorrow or Sat. for me. (It was a bunch of calls back and fourth today) I still need to ck the site you posted. But I forgot about our own sponsor Tastyworms until a couple of min. ago. Anyway, I was doing 100% wc every day also for three weeks and just finished last Friday.

I wish you and Jet the best of luck! Huge e-hug!!! :hug:heart

Thank you Cat. I appreciate it.

After calls back and fourth with the fish store where I bought my new tank the Manager ordered me two small...5 grams each of Kanaplex. He said it will be in either late tomorrow (Friday) afternoon or Saturday. So either way, I will drive and get it when it comes in along with my new hood for my tank that came in today.

So,...Hopefully I'll have the Kanaplex late Friday afternoon. If so, I can start treatment that evening. I might have something else to do prior to coming back home.

On another note, sort of: Tastyworms emailed me back from the message I sent him re: that I won the raffle. :) I didn't notice until about 1/2 hr ago that they sell the Kanaplex. Dang! I should have ordered from them but I'd have to wait for days most likely. I'm wondering if I should order some anyway to have extra. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!! Otherwise I was going to order some Hikari Lionhead sinking pellets.

I'd check the shelf life and grab some maybe. I have some on hand always because it is a great med. Could be worth it :idont

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thank you Mernany. I may just do this then. Chris from tastyworms is emailing me a gift card. I'm excited. Something to look forward to. Who knows, maybe the two small bottles won't even be enough. I'll make sure to ck the shelf life. Thank you again.

Edited by 4prettyfish

Hi Cheryl,

Hi Rob, I just cked out the site and couldn't find it. Am I missing something?? :( Mikey:) directed me to Amazon, which brought me to Doctors Foster and Smith, which had it for 5.99 the same price TastyWorms. I hope my fish store out of town sells it to me at the same price. I told them on the phone about Amazon. But it will be great to get it tomorrow hopefully.

I believe they are both kanamycin sulfate, but you'd better just stick with the kanaplex, since the mods suggested that. Sorry, didn't mean to add confusion. Two 5g containers should be plenty for 10 days of treatment.

I believe they are both kanamycin sulfate, but you'd better just stick with the kanaplex, since the mods suggested that. Sorry, didn't mean to add confusion. Two 5g containers should be plenty for 10 days of treatment.

Any kanamycin is fine. Kanaplex is just the trade name for the Seachem product, and I just got used to calling it that.

Apologies for the confusion. :)

Please don't worry. I'm already confused and I appreciate your input because like I had said, I don't know anything about these meds. I've had 3 of my fish for over a year now and nobody has been sick to use meds.

Any kanamycin is fine. Kanaplex is just the trade name for the Seachem product, and I just got used to calling it that.

Apologies for the confusion. :)

I need to look up that name ...kanamycin. Is that an antibiotic? Seachem is the brand correct?

Alex: I'll let you know if I get the product tomorrow. Do you want to let me know the schedule of using this now? I already have the 20g in place. I wish I had a better spot for it but it's on the floor again. :(

Thank you so much EVeryONe for well wishes and all on Jet. :)

The meds are administered as per the directions of the manufacturer in terms of the amount, with these exceptions:

1. You must do a 100% WC after at most 48 hours, and then redose.

2. If your parameters (ammonia/nitrite) are off and you want to do a WC sooner, that's fine. Just remember to redose.

3. We'll be doing this probably for 10-14 days. I prefer not to go longer, but we will see how he does.

My Ranchu Tiger has a similar problem, hole in Wen, sunken. still happy, no signs of stress. Tiger is orange so I can see the tissue around it is pink. it would look white on your color fish. Tiger has a great appetite too :)

I treated Tiger originally with betadine swab bi daily over 10 days. The pink color went away and it stopped getting worse.... but he has had a relapse.

If you can find it there is Hikari bio bandage that is a great start for any soft tissue issue and better alternative to betadine. I just cant seem to find it anymore :(

• Supporter

Thank you Alex. I'll post if I get meds.

Cheryl, please don't swab as advised below.. swabbing wens with sterilizing agents will actually cause the wen to dissolve in a bad way and worsen the situation.

My Ranchu Tiger has a similar problem, hole in Wen, sunken. still happy, no signs of stress. Tiger is orange so I can see the tissue around it is pink. it would look white on your color fish. Tiger has a great appetite too :)

I treated Tiger originally with betadine swab bi daily over 10 days. The pink color went away and it stopped getting worse.... but he has had a relapse.

If you can find it there is Hikari bio bandage that is a great start for any soft tissue issue and better alternative to betadine. I just cant seem to find it anymore :(

LouiseAnne, welcome to kokos.

swabbing wens that are ulcerated with sterilizing agents is about the worst thing you can do. sterilizing agents on soft tissue will cause it to dissolve in ways that the damage can very well be permanent. since this method has not worked for you ie, the issue was not totally resolved, then the information you have just handed down has proven to be unsuccessful from your own experiences and should not be advised here.

wen ulcers move fast and have great potential to cause death to a fish. methods that do not work would be simply considered time wasting.. something we cannot afford to lose right now is time.

I know you have nothing but good intentions and want to help, I appreciate that and welcome you, but in this instance, we need accuracy as time is not our best friend.

Hello and Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry your Ranchu, Tiger isn't doing well due to a relapse in his wen. Perhaps you can start a d&d on your fish and get some great advice/help from a Mod. If you do,.. remember to answer all the questions and post photo's of the area. I hope he will be okay. I appreciate your recommendation of a med but I feel more comfortable to follow the directions of a mod at this time and I've already ordered Medication that was suggested.

Thank you Alex. I'll post if I get meds.

Cheryl, please don't swab as advised below.. swabbing wens with sterilizing agents will actually cause the wen to dissolve in a bad way and worsen the situation.

LouiseAnne, welcome to kokos.

swabbing wens that are ulcerated with sterilizing agents is about the worst thing you can do. sterilizing agents on soft tissue will cause it to dissolve in ways that the damage can very well be permanent. since this method has not worked for you ie, the issue was not totally resolved, then the information you have just handed down has proven to be unsuccessful from your own experiences and should not be advised here.

wen ulcers move fast and have great potential to cause death to a fish. methods that do not work would be simply considered time wasting.. something we cannot afford to lose right now is time.

I know you have nothing but good intentions and want to help, I appreciate that and welcome you, but in this instance, we need accuracy as time is not our best friend.

Helen, I'm waiting for the Kanaplex as suggested. Thank you for posting all the info above for I learned something new also. Hopefully the kanaplex will be in late this afternoon and I can start treatment tonight. See below for follow up video as soon as I can post it.