A hole in Jet's wen

4prettyfish

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

congratulations hun :)

I know I haven't posted in your thread much lately.. it's been flat out over here with all the renovations & our international guests.. but I just wanted to stop by and say thank you! for the wonderful job you did in restoring Jet's health back to what it should be :) he looks great :heart

Louise and Helen, Thank you so much. I am happy with Jet's progress. His hole is still bothering me but I'm cking it at least once a day if not twice. I want to make sure it's not getting bigger or looking red. I don't think he's getting his share of food though when I feed all of them together. I still have to work some kind of schedule out for his eating. Thank you Louise for following his progress. I appreciate it because I know you have been worried and caring for your Tiger needs. Thank you Helen for everything you've done for us,...my fish and myself. haha :) I don't think I could say thank you enough to you.

With all of Jet's great progress since I put him in the main tank last Friday, yesterday I was somewhat worried about him. I think he is always going to make me worry about him. :( I don't know! I was going to post but kept putting it off. I just kept observing him off and on. Yesterday he was in the back of the tank behind one of my plants hiding off and on. He wasn't swimming too much. Not like the others. He wasn't what I would call motionless bottom sitting. I'd call it resting, hovering, a couple of inches from the bottom of the tank. (I know, probably bottom sitting huh?) But when I'd approach the tank he'd come out of hiding and was happy to see me. I did a 90% wc this morning. Last big wc was 4 days ago. Jet seems to be doing better today. He's swimming and hovering mid tank now. I just feel like he's always going to be my somewhat "sick" child fish. Either tonight or tomorrow I will be posting photo's/video of his wen/hole and his behavior. I just want another set of eyes please and opinion.

Terrible News:

Jet's hole is back and it's big. He has been bottom sitting and hiding in the back of the artificial plants. When he see's me it was a 50/50 chance either coming to me or staying in his hiding spot. I was gone off and on today and didn't have a chance until now to post. He's eating but very delicately. I think he'd eat more if the other two piggy's weren't so fast with grabbing the food. I have seen him swim around first thing in the morning which made me happy. But then when I came home for a bit he was bottom sitting and hiding. I did a huge 90%wc yesterday. He seemed fine yesterday and seemed to be active in a slow way yesterday. His hole was there but I didn't notice it being this big.

Taylor is using the computer for homework and so I won't be cking back for a couple of hours probably. What if anything should I be doing for Jet? And can it wait until tomorrow seeing I won't be checking computer for a bit?.

Here is his wen hole video.

http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/4prettyfish/media/9-25-13holegotbig001_zpse95bb523.mp4.html

• Supporter

I think another procedure is necessary.. if we're going backwards during treatment stages, then there is much cause for concern. if you agree Cheryl, we need to T up a time so that we can get started. good thing is, my weekend is very near and mostly ideal.

this time though, we will aggressively remove a lot of wen from Jets head.. but don't worry, it should all grow back. I have noticed that most non essential features on a fish have like a memory and regrow themselves.

Alex, Thank you. I was kind of afraid of that, but was kind of knowing it also. :(

Mikey, Thank you. I appreciated it.

Helen, Like I said to Alex, I was kind of afraid of this. I believe I have everything needed. I think I saved my notes and I everything still all in one container. I'll take it out and make sure it's all together. Thank you Helen for offering and helping me once again. I so appreciate it. I'm really not looking forward to him being sedated again. That was the scariest. Saturday won't work out for me Helen. I'll be in and out all day and have a fund raiser dinner later in evening.

Helen and Alex, Did you see how low the hole is? Is that area wen that will be cut out. I'll remember now Helen,.. now to cut at an angle down and pull it out. I now know what I didn't do then and should have done it. I think you know what I mean Helen because we talked about it. I'll do it this time.

I have another short video from the same time today that the one above was made. I just didn't have time to upload it yet. I'll do it in case you both see something different.

Thank you everyone.

:grouphug

Here is a short video of Jet not eating and a close up so you can see where the hole is. For some reason it looks lower to me. Will we be able to cut that low in his Wen Helen? This kind of scares me. I can see cutting above it but not much room below.

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sad right now. Squinky, a pet rat of Taylor's is being euthanized later today at the Vets. I have a thread on Squinky from this morning. I am beyond sad right now with her and Jet.

Here is Jet's video. Should I order meds for him?

http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/4prettyfish/media/9-26-13SquinkyandJet001_zps71f8d9ec.mp4.html

Edited by 4prettyfish

I'm sorry, Cheryl. :(

I do think that a surgery is called for, and if possible, see if you can order oxolinic acid. You can get them from Jones Fisheries, but you will have to call them and talk to someone there.

Phone
513-561-2615

Toll Free
800-662-3474

Hang in there.

Alex, Thank you and thank you for your support. Also,thank you for the information above but can you tell me more please. I've never heard of anyone talk about them before. Who are they and what will this medicine do for Jet? Have you dealt/used them before or any other member? I can call them tomorrow but don't want to make a call blindly.

I have to see my mechanic tomorrow morning and might head to Petsmart to pick up a 10g tank for qt instead of using the 5 1/2. I don't think I want to use the 20g because that has to be on the floor. At least the other tanks can go on the stand.

I put Jet back into the qt tank middle of afternoon. The hole is bigger. It's growing. He didn't eat anything today that I'm aware of. I even put in two pellets this evening and they just sat in the bottom of the tank. I took them out about 20min. later. :) Should I order metro meds?

I am so upset about this. :(

Added: I also added the kanaplex into the qt tank.

Edited by 4prettyfish

You are a fantastic fish mom, Cheryl. Don't you forget that. You have done an amazing job with him so far. :heart. Taylor even discussed it at school. You inspired a 15 year old girl. Now THAT'S impressive!! :teehee

Keep your chin up. We are all pulling for you. :)

Alex, Thank you and thank you for your support. Also,thank you for the information above but can you tell me more please. I've never heard of anyone talk about them before. Who are they and what will this medicine do for Jet? Have you dealt/used them before or any other member? I can call them tomorrow but don't want to make a call blindly.

Oxolinic acid is a first generation antibiotic that belongs to a class of meds call quinolones. Another quinolones include Baytril, Cipro, and Levaquin. I have used this med before, as has Jess. We both ordered from this place. You have not heard us mention it, because this med is not and should not be a first defense drug for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that it is very strong.

I have to see my mechanic tomorrow morning and might head to Petsmart to pick up a 10g tank for qt instead of using the 5 1/2. I don't think I want to use the 20g because that has to be on the floor. At least the other tanks can go on the stand.

I put Jet back into the qt tank middle of afternoon. The hole is bigger. It's growing. He didn't eat anything today that I'm aware of. I even put in two pellets this evening and they just sat in the bottom of the tank. I took them out about 20min. later. :) Should I order metro meds?

I would rather that you order the oxolinic acid. Why don't you make a thread to see who has opened MMs that they can send you?

Hang in there. I know it hasn't been a good day at all. :(

I am so upset about this. :(