A hole in Jet's wen

4prettyfish

API test kit

ammonia .25

ph 7.6

nitrite 0

nitrate maybe 10

water temp 82

60 g tank w/3 medium Oranda's (almost 6 inches to 6 1/2 inches total length including tail)

The biggest fish with hole in wen is my new fish Jet

This tank has been up since last Friday but I did bring over media from my 55g. (55g no longer in use)

Filters aqueon 55/75 with ac sponges and ceramic beads and 110ac with same media

prime used

Fish mostly get fed Hikari lionhead pellets and worms. occasional greens

New fish is Jet the one in questioning. Purchased him on 8-7-13

Two days later started prazi and salt treatment on him with Alex's schedule of 4 days with prazi then 4 days off of prazi but salt still added. The qt was a 20g long. I did this for 22 days then he was brought into the new 60g tank. The last two days of being in the 20g he had no prazi but salt.

Jet was brought into the 60g on 8-30-13, Friday. He was also introduced to the other two Oranda's. They all got a prazi treatment for 4 days of prazi and salt with the fish either being in the 34g or the 60g.

On 9-1 Sunday A 90% WC was done on both tanks. Salt added only.

Seeing my nitrates were up to 10 I'm doing a huge wc now. Will wait to see what or if you want me to put salt into tank. I was giving all my fish 4 days off of prazi and salt then 4 days off. I was going to decide to put in prazi again for a second dose. Didn't get that far though.

Here is the video of Jet my newest Oranda with the hole in his head. I didn't notice this around 8am when I fed the fish. When I went to feed them again around 4:30pm that's when I noticed the hole in wen.

He has a great appetite. He's been very active.

http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/4prettyfish/media/9-4-13HoleinJetswen001_zpsb4ffcc7a.mp4.html

Sorry if this was confusing.

Edited by 4prettyfish

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supporter

good luck hun, I know very little about holes in wens. only that they're often related to ulcers... sometimes parasites. either way, we've had much success at treatment with early detection. and we will wait for others who have successfully treated to come along and guide you as what to do :)

I don't have any experience with wen issues personally but I am wondering if you could tell us if there is any redness to the hole? In the video it appears to perhaps have some white around it. Does it look white to you at all or is that the lighting? :idont

Oh jet! I can't help you but I hope this is an easy fix, I know how much you love him!

I don't think I ever really knew how big he is! :o

I hope he feels better Cheryl!! Poor guy! When my Ryukin had an ulcer, I used furan 2. But I don't know what a mod will say. Hange in there. :hug

Thank you Mikey

Is there any redness in and around the hole, Cheryl? How deep is it?

let me go ck

Alex: No redness around it or in it. It just looks deep. Like a dark hole.

Oh jet! I can't help you but I hope this is an easy fix, I know how much you love him!

I don't think I ever really knew how big he is! :o

Thank you. Yes, He's at least 6 1/2 inches total. I hope he's going to be okay

Cheryl, my first instinct is to do nothing, because there is no sign of inflammation, or even infection. However, I am going to PM Jeff and ask him to take a look, since he's dealt with a lot more holes in the wen type issues than I have. So, hang tight. :)

Some more history:

He was bottom sitting some when I first put him on over the weekend. He would go in the back bottom corner. When he'd see me he'd come greet me and after a min or two he'd go bottom sit again. I left the room and was spying on him and he'd go bottom sit and come out after several min. to go swim for a few min to only go in back corner again. This did last for a few days. He's been really good for the past two days.

When he eats he eats kind of strange. His mouth is open wide chopping away. I think he fills his mouth full with pellets then takes forever to eat. The other fish just eat, chew, go grab more food, eat, chew. I don't know....some things just seem a little off. It was ever since the beginning of purchasing him. I'd worry about this or that then I'd say, no, it's all good. Almost like, Mother's instinct. ha ha

But the hole in head is another story.

I hope your new fish will be ok. When my fish would get sick it would just stress me out so I know how you must be feeling. Goodluck to you and the fish.

Sorry you are having some wen related issues Cheryl! they are the one down side of keeping wenned fish.

On a happier note, he is just so stinking cute!

Thank you. I adore this fish so much. I hope it's nothing big.

I hope your new fish will be ok. When my fish would get sick it would just stress me out so I know how you must be feeling. Goodluck to you and the fish.

Thank you. I've never had a fish this big before and he is just so huge compared to the others. So I keep thinking his looks are "off". I think I'm just imagining the worse at times. I don't know

So you notice any fish pecking/picking at him? My oranda had a wen injury that was worsened by a fellow goldie eating at his wen :o

Thanks for your question. No I haven't noticed anything. They all seem to get along fine. When he's picking up food off the bottom of the tank his wen does seem to touch the bottom. I've seen his head touch the walls of the tank and stones. I'd hate to think this could have done the hole.

Added: sorry I got distracted. I hope yours was okay after another one was eating at one of your wens. That is really awful and scary.

Edited by 4prettyfish

I'll ck back in about an hour or so to see if anything was suggested. I have stuff to do before I call it a night. If so, it might have to wait until tomorrow am.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the posts.

Hi Cheryl,

I have been discussing this with Jeff (RanchuJeff) through PM, and he wants you to consider the possibility that this wen is rather deep, and has been expanding upward for some time. This means that all of this was happening prior to you bringing Jet home.

Jeff would like for you to get a very strong flashlight and try to shine down the hole to see how deep it goes, and see if there is any redness etc to it. Check the gills also. The problem with blue/black fish, as Jeff pointed out, is that it might be difficult to see the redness. There is also the possibility that the infection has gone systemic, given that Jet was bottom sitting for a couple of days, and is eating somewhat unusually.

I am throwing a lot out there, not to overwhelm you, but to give you worst case scenario. Would you consider wen surgery? What meds do you have on hand? I think Jeff is in the middle of something at the moment, but says that he will check in in a few hours.

Hang in there. We will figure this out, and do what we can to help Jet. :hug

I just got back on the computer Alex to ck posts. I am not liking this at all. :(

I appreciate what you and Jeff have been discussing. Please thank him for me....very much. My gut was telling me from the get go when I brought him home that he "seemed off". I just kind of shrugged it off because he was in qt with meds. But he was eating. I didn't see how he was eating in the qt because the the tank was on the floor. Once I brought him up on to normal height/tank home that's when I was able to view his behavior better. Ughhh

His eating is odd compared to the others. It's almost like he has something in his mouth. He opens it up really wide and like chews/gulps. I can see way down in his mouth if he'd be still long enough.

Are you talking about ME doing the wen surgery? (about to cry) I think I could do it if I really, really had to. I can be brave for Jet if I have to with the huge assistance of whoever is going to help me with this over the internet.

I'm going to go try to find a flashlight. It might be 1/2 hr before I get back to post.

Take your time, and IF there is surgery to be done, you will have our support, and Helen will be here, as well as Jeff.

Let's look at the mouth, gills, and the ulcer, and proceed from there, OK?

• Supporter

hun, if surgery is what is required, I can be right by your side, guiding you through all this via Skype channel, if you would like my support. you'll never be alone through this :heart

we can do a great deal of talking through things before hand and I can help you prepare as well as stay with you through the whole procedure (following Jeff & Alex's instructions) and then some :)