My oranda doesn't react well to pellet food?

yayoiharuko

I switched her over to gel food, so she's doing great now..but i was wondering, do you guys have any bad experiences with pellet food?

When i feed her omega one pellet food she starts getting really wobbly and doesn't swim a lot so it scares me pretty bad. I don't know, is it something about her type? because all my other fish deal with it just fine. It's just her.

and i know i'm not crazy because i tried the pellet food again the other day- not a good idea. She turned to her side multiple times until she swam around the tank then did it again.

If it helps to know, she's a calico oranda.

I'll post a picture if it will help:

I know, it's very blurry. Sorry, she moves fast.

image-8.jpeg

• Supporter

I have had fish in the past that are sensitive to dry foods. some never really do overcome that problem. I am currently feeding some pellets into my fish's diets. they get NLS Thera +A.

do you presoak the pellets at all? some say it's a good thing, some say it's not. ie, some believe the nutrients deplete during a soak. I presoak the pellets I feed my fish, but only for about 10 seconds & I stir them once or twice.. I do this only to have them release the air they hold. this could make a difference to the floaty issues with your fish. if it does not, I recommend you stick to gelfood or freshly steamed (for softening) vegetables?

does she eat a lot of it in one feeding? she could be overeating also.

Omega One is supposed to be a pretty good pellet, but I have never fed that to my fish before, hopefully others that have will come along to give their opinion.

I have had fish in the past that are sensitive to dry foods. some never really do overcome that problem. I am currently feeding some pellets into my fish's diets. they get NLS Thera +A.

do you presoak the pellets at all? some say it's a good thing, some say it's not. ie, some believe the nutrients deplete during a soak. I presoak the pellets I feed my fish, but only for about 10 seconds & I stir them once or twice.. I do this only to have them release the air they hold. this could make a difference to the floaty issues with your fish. if it does not, I recommend you stick to gelfood or freshly steamed (for softening) vegetables?

does she eat a lot of it in one feeding? she could be overeating also.

Omega One is supposed to be a pretty good pellet, but I have never fed that to my fish before, hopefully others that have will come along to give their opinion.

NLS Thera +A? I've never heard of that...I'll look it up :)

I usually soak the pellets, but recently i had to leave to see my aunt on account of kidney disease, so I didn't have much of a choice. When I came back she seemed alright, but she was still really floaty. So soaked or not, she doesn't deal with it well at all, and i really don't want to keep feeding her food that will make her that way. So, i guess i'll just have to stick with gel food!

I feed her and my other two goldies once a day. So i don't think it's overeating.

Yeah, it worked really well with ariana and ihop for a long time, until i got sheila(the oranda). I also used to feed them spinach with the omega one food.

• Supporter

New Life Spectrum.. Thera +A is the full name. there are different size pellets. I have large goldfish, they can handle the 3mm size. most like to feed the 2mm or 1mm size.

you can try to crush the pellets you have now and make a small gelfood mix, add some to it and see if that helps? at least that will see you using the rest of what you have. careful to not go over the expiry as most dry foods can go rancid when they expire.

I used to feed my goldies once a day too. then I found that smaller portions over 2 to 3 times a day was better for them, that might help your fish also :)

nothing beats fresh veggies tho ;)

New Life Spectrum.. Thera +A is the full name. there are different size pellets. I have large goldfish, they can handle the 3mm size. most like to feed the 2mm or 1mm size.

you can try to crush the pellets you have now and make a small gelfood mix, add some to it and see if that helps? at least that will see you using the rest of what you have. careful to not go over the expiry as most dry foods can go rancid when they expire.

I used to feed my goldies once a day too. then I found that smaller portions over 2 to 3 times a day was better for them, that might help your fish also :)

nothing beats fresh veggies tho ;)

Ok! I'll look it up :) and wow that's actually a really great idea! I'll see about doing that the next time i make the gel food ^-^ I was kind of upset since i had just bought a brand new container of the omega one food- but now that you mention crushing and mixing it into the gel food i feel tons better! and i'll make sure to keep track of the expiration date.

2-3 times a day? yeah, I used to but then i was told it was overfeeding them ._." ahhh so confusing. But you're probably right! I think as long as it's small portions, it should be fine. Right now i'm feeding them maybe...a small tablespoon size of gel food(Split into thirds) daily.

Also, I used spring water to make the gel food, was this the right thing to do? I did it because my tap water is filled with chlorine and a bunch of chemicals i don't want them eating.

I actually steamed some broccoli the other day! They loved it! :)

• Supporter

ok, the spring water.. it's nice to use, but you can use either some tank water or just add a drop of prime to the tap water (or whichever dechlorinator you're currently using).. spring water is fine though :)

when you say 'small tablespoon' do you mean a teaspoon? if you have 3 fish, that is a lot of food (depending on their size). I refer back to when you said that you only feed them once a day. so a teaspoon of food is quite a lot. you can still do this, but instead of feeding them the three pieces at once, feed only one of those three pieces, three times a day. does that make sense?

and broccoli is good to feed every now and again, however, it creates gas.. and gas can cause floating in goldfish, so it's best to avoid feeding that to your oranda and probably best to leave that out when making the gelfood :)

ok, the spring water.. it's nice to use, but you can use either some tank water or just add a drop of prime to the tap water (or whichever dechlorinator you're currently using).. spring water is fine though :)

when you say 'small tablespoon' do you mean a teaspoon? if you have 3 fish, that is a lot of food (depending on their size). I refer back to when you said that you only feed them once a day. so a teaspoon of food is quite a lot. you can still do this, but instead of feeding them the three pieces at once, feed only one of those three pieces, three times a day. does that make sense?

and broccoli is good to feed every now and again, however, it creates gas.. and gas can cause floating in goldfish, so it's best to avoid feeding that to your oranda and probably best to leave that out when making the gelfood :)

Okay! yes i recently started using prime. but I have a whole gallon of spring water so i might stick with that for a while :)

Oh no >.< i meant that i will get maybe a teaspoon size of gel food and split that into three pieces. I feed each of them one piece of what i just split. So ari will get one piece, sheila gets one, and ihop does too. they all share the three pieces of the teaspoon-size gel food.

yes'm it does! thank you!

and i actually heard about that :o hmm ok. i'll remember that as well.

I'm sorry you have a fish that gets floaty after eating. I too had a fish that was floaty for about two weeks maybe off and on. I found out that it was due to a specific pellet food I was feeding. Once I eliminated that food all was good. It's like a trial and error game to see what works best. I do feed my fish two to three times a day. Small portions like Helen had mentioned works really good.

I hope your fish gets to feeling much better and the floatiness goes away completely.

I used NLS pellets, and they were wonderful for two of my fish but not my ryukin. I have moved all five to gel food now and they love it. I notice I see poop more quickly with gel. Only the one fish seemed to react negatively to the pellets though.

I used NLS pellets, and they were wonderful for two of my fish but not my ryukin. I have moved all five to gel food now and they love it. I notice I see poop more quickly with gel. Only the one fish seemed to react negatively to the pellets though.

Yeah, I don't know why in the world sheila just didn't take well to it at all, even though all my other fish were fine with it. But, i think crushing the omega one pellets and putting them in my next batch of gel food would be for the best. I'll make a small amount, just in case it doesn't work.

But sticking to gel food sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the advice! :)

I'm sorry you have a fish that gets floaty after eating. I too had a fish that was floaty for about two weeks maybe off and on. I found out that it was due to a specific pellet food I was feeding. Once I eliminated that food all was good. It's like a trial and error game to see what works best. I do feed my fish two to three times a day. Small portions like Helen had mentioned works really good.

I hope your fish gets to feeling much better and the floatiness goes away completely.

It's alright, with all these responses i'm getting (including yours) it seems like an issue most fish owners have eventually. After all, every fish is unique! But i will definitely start feeding them smaller amounts 2-3 times a day. If anything, it will make my goldfish really happy, seeing how much they love eating lol.

Thank you!!