Goldfish's favourite place to sleep?

Hannee

Hi there this is really a two part question.

I am a little concerned as to where my goldfish sleeps, for the moment (looking into changing my filter ) I have a internal filter and most mornings I wake up to find my calico fantail, Phantom wedged upside down behind it! Of course everytime I freak out thinking I've lost him but when I go to move it he happily swims out! He has no buoyancy issues, is a very good swimmer, poop is fine and he's eating fine. So the question really is, should I be concerned?

It also got me thinking, do any of your goldfish sleep in strange positions/ways? I used to have a white fantail years ago that liked to wrap herself up in the plants and sleep upside down, I called her my little vampire :)

• Supporter

hello :)

goldfish resting of a night time either at the bottom, hovering midway or at the top of the tank is normal.. I sleep on my left side, husband on the right :P

what concerns me is that you say 'upside down'.. this is not normal. does your fish experience floaty issues? normally when they pin themselves down, they have floaty issues and have become tired using all their effort to correct their problem. because of your mention for the 'upside down', yes, I would have some concern.

how strong is the current in the tank from filtration or aeration? can your fish just hover without being pushed around by the current?

• Supporter

I wake up to find my calico fantail, Phantom wedged upside down behind it!. So the question really is, should I be concerned?

as there is little information provided, the answer is yes. if you feel that you should be concerned. please start a DnD.

in all my years of goldfish keeping. none of mine have wedged themselves upside down unless there is a health issue.

good luck with your crew :)

Ooooh! -raises hand- Pick me! I have an upside down sleeper :) Well, I did before. His upside down sleeping was actually the first sign of what became a long struggle with constipation. He was just like yours, seemingly fine besides sleeping upside down wedged between a vase and the tank wall. Eventually though he became a wobbly swimmer and then was almost always swimming upside down if he had eaten.

The key for him was his food! I cut out animal proteins entirely once I realized that was the element making him so gassy/plugged up. He eats Repashy Super Green gel food now; it's vegan :)

Good luck with yours!!!!!

My black moor, Ariana, used to like to sit at the far right corner of the tank. Like, with her tummy on the bottom. I thought something was wrong- til i got up and i noticed she was looking straight at me lol. Then i got up and she swam back around a few times xD She did this until i moved her into the pond. I'm not so sure what she does now. Floats maybe?

Hmmm..... Out of most of my fish, the only one that has a weird sleeping spot is Peach. She sleeps facing at the orange light of her heater. My goldies just kinda hover in mid-water, and the two babies sleep in the plants since I have a bit of a current problem. I'm using plants to break the current so it's not smooshing them against the wall.

Edited by NeonVodka

Ooooh! -raises hand- Pick me! I have an upside down sleeper :) Well, I did before. His upside down sleeping was actually the first sign of what became a long struggle with constipation. He was just like yours, seemingly fine besides sleeping upside down wedged between a vase and the tank wall. Eventually though he became a wobbly swimmer and then was almost always swimming upside down if he had eaten.

The key for him was his food! I cut out animal proteins entirely once I realized that was the element making him so gassy/plugged up. He eats Repashy Super Green gel food now; it's vegan :)

Good luck with yours!!!!!

I'm glad to know that mine might not be the only one! I think I'll try monitoring his feeding to see if it's dietary!

Mine normally sleep on the bottom. However, one night I was out with Samson our dog & saw one of the Ryukins was motionless on the top. I thought we lost one but when I touched him/her it swam away. Haven't seen anything out of the ordinary since.

Liz

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX