Not Eating, not even opening mouth and mostly bottom-sitting

Canadansk

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can see, Stella (who might actually be a he) seems to be OK shape-wise. I would continue to feed the way that you do, because to be honest, once the mouth collapse, I don't think it will open up again. I'm sorry. :(

I unfortunately concur. From your pic the physical structures look fine (nothing glaring that would be impeding his ability to use his mouth).

The treatments suggested were a shot in the dark, but unfortunately it is very rare for an issue like this to resolve :( you can continue syringe feeding for now but it is doubtful that he will regain use of his mouth and be able to eat on his own again.

We are here to support you in whatever decision you make. Euthanizing as we talked about previously is one of the options. You can also just continue with the manual feeding. Take some time to think about what you want to do and let us know.

I'm really sorry the treatment hasn't worked :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firstly, I want to thank you all for your comments, support and advice. When I checked Stella this morning, she looked worse. She lacked energy and most alarmingly, appeared to have a bone protruding from her lower jaw. I feel we did what we could for her, but at this point it was probably making her suffer needlessly. The syringe feedings seemed more like force-feedings and were stressful to all involved. As I type this note, Stella is here beside me, in a glass bowl with the prescribed clove oil treatment, slowly but peacefully (I hope) leaving this world. She/he was a good fish.