Midnight112x

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank)0

* Nitrate level(Tank) 0

* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0 (now)

* Nitrite Level(Tap)0

* Nitrate level(Tap)0

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drop kit

* Water temperature? 70

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons 2 years or so

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 2 aqueons. A 55 and a 45

* How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly 50-60%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Yesterday

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 gold fish. A 5 Inch ranchu and a 3 inch pearl scale

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Frozen bloodworms every morning or krill frozen

* Any new fish added to the tank? None

* Any medications added to the tank? None

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Nothing in a year

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? None

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the

So my tap water had high nitrate for a week or so. I took me about 6 days to realize this. It was reading 80-100 on the test kit from tap and in tank. I measured because I saw them bottom sitting before the water change. They could have been bottom sitting longer but I do not know. I was away from them for a week. I had someone feeding them but they do not know about behavior.

Right now the tap water is fine and the tank is at zero nitrate. They are both bottom sitting and the large ranchu is breathing heavily. Hs gills are expanding and he is breathing rapidly. The pearl scale is just bottom sitting with no other signs. Also the ranchu looked like he had white stringy poop.

They did come to the surface to eat.

Should I salt the tank?

I have metro meds handy along with melafix if I need to use them.

Is it 55 teaspoons of salt if I add salt? Quarantine is not possible at the moment, I just had surgery on my appendix and can't really move or lift anything.

If my fish do not make it I am giving up on goldfish until I get a koi pond years from now. I don't want to see them go. Thanks

Daniel

P.s. my fish have been great for the last year and I have added nothing to the tank. All was going well, it's just my luck lately

or Cancel

Edited by Midnight

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh no I hope they recover asap for you :) please wait until a mod can come by to advise,

a couple of questions,

do you have an airstone in your tank?

is there any reason you feed blood worms daily? I only feed mine them as a treat a few times a week,

do you have live plants in your tank?wait on the salt until advised...

I realize your in a pickle as far as moving around,and lifting because of your surgery ;) i hope your feeling better soon :)

I also had surgery on both my feet this past month and had to cut back on my w/c's and I can see the effects it had on my fish :(

I hope a mod or helper comes by soon ;)

hang in there :)

Thanks shell. I feed the frozen food only. Either blood worms, krill, or brine shrimp. They get fed only once a day. I like blood worms the best because I seem to get more bang for the buck. The krill gets eaten within 10 seconds it seems

As I am typing, my ranchu is darting around a little. Still sitting on the bottom but he swam around kind of jerky. I am guessing the nitrate lowered his immune system and now he's dealing with another issue?

Been through a lot lately in my personal life don't want to lose my fish.

So the nitrate in your tap just disappeared overnight? That's actually pretty scary. Do you run on a well? Mine have done that before when we got runoff from a local farm into our well.

What I'm worried about, and a mod can confirm for you, is that your fish are suffering from the shock of the nitrates fluctuating so dramatically. Have you seen poop from both of them? Or just the white from your Chu?

If you're able to take video, do it. I'll make sure a mod knows what's going on.

Edited by ChelseaM

Yes we have a well. I asked why that happened and I was told it had something to do with the rain and the location of the well. We also live next to an apple orchard, I hear sometimes the spray they use can effect your water. We are looking at RO system either way.

I'm treating with salt. I added 53 teaspoons and I believe that is the lowest dose to start with.

I think I might also have prazi on Hand if needed.

I'll try and post a video but I have never done using tapatalk.

He's very pretty, despite the symptoms.

Do his gills appear pale? Also, do you have air running in your tank or the ability to get some going? While we wait for a mod, I would like to increase the oxygen in the water.

Please take a look at their gills as chelsea asked and describe the color (red, pink, brown, pale etc.)

Nitrate in tap can indeed be caused by run off from local farms, however if nitrate in the tap was caused by this run off I worry a little about what else might have gotten into the well as a result of the run off, but I don't know if this is a legitimate concern :idont

How consistently are they bottom sitting?

What is your tank and tap pH?

EDIT: posted at the same time as Lisa ;)

Tap ph looks like 7.2-7.4 and the tank looks like 7.4-7.6 or so. It's a tiny shade darker on the API kit.

As far as gills, are you talking about inside them? As if when he expands them to breathe? The look pinkish inside. The outside of them is his normal color white like his scales/skin

Tap ph looks like 7.2-7.4 and the tank looks like 7.4-7.6 or so. It's a tiny shade darker on the API kit.

As far as gills, are you talking about inside them? As if when he expands them to breathe? The look pinkish inside. The outside of them is his normal color white like his scales/skin

Hi Daniel,

I'm sorry they are not well. See if you could take a video of them, as well as taking a look at the inside of the gills. You may need to gently pry them open to look.

No changes today. The pearl is still bottom sitting and the large ranchu is still labored breathing but moving around a little. He is not bottom sitting but more of a hovering.

I don't feel comfortable handling my fish so I can I Lu examine them without touching them unfortunately.