First Modified Filter!

tankxie

Hey guys! I feel like I've been posting a LOT but I'm learning so much here that I keep having new things to share!

I modified my Aqueon HOB filter today! I tried to follow this tutorial as well as I could. I left the cartridge in (with the carbon cut out) temporarily so some bacteria can transfer to the new media.

20130902_221708.jpg

How'd I do?? Is there anything I need to change/move around? :) I'm pretty excited I actually did a modification to something! I just have my Aquaclear HOB left to do. For that should I just remove the carbon bag and add more ceramic rings? I haven't found any advice on how to modify power filters but I may be searching for it wrong!

Thanks for looking!

You did very well. :)

The only modification that I would suggest is to put the biomedia in a mesh bag. That way, when you want to remove them for rinsing etc., it's done more easily. :)

Also, flip the filter padding the other way around so that the darker blue, which is more porous, meets the water first.

Great job! :)

Way to go! I have one of those filters and I really like it, I think that putting in more media is genius. I have other filters that I have added floss type media but I think the ceramic media would be even better, or a combination of the two.

The only modification that I would suggest is to put the biomedia in a mesh bag. That way, when you want to remove them for rinsing etc., it's done more easily. :)

Also, flip the filter padding the other way around so that the darker blue, which is more porous, meets the water first.

Thank you! I for sure need a mesh bag. When I was flipping the padding over the rings got everywhere and were falling out and it was way messy. I'm headed to hobby lobby for some mesh!

herp derp. So glad I read this! Filter cleaning is due soon on one and the media is not in a bag... not a lot of fun to clean it that way! :rofl Hoping it stays more in place too :idont

*goes to check which way the padding is facing*

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

Finally got bags for the media in my filter! Here's a picture!

20130914_180001.jpg

I also just got a new Aqueon today! My LFS was having a trade in, so I took in a broken filter I had gotten for free and they gave me a bigger one for free too! So much awesome. Here's that one! The media bag is sticking pretty far out of the water, is that okay? It's all in one big bag so it was hard to maneuver it around.

20130914_175936.jpg

Thanks for looking, again! :P

2 reasons why I wouldn't leave the media sticking out like it is:

1. Any media out of the water isn't getting used. It is just like not having that media at all.

2. Mildew/mold can grow on the exposed, moist media.

I like the bags, by the way. Where did you get them??

2 reasons why I wouldn't leave the media sticking out like it is:

1. Any media out of the water isn't getting used. It is just like not having that media at all.

2. Mildew/mold can grow on the exposed, moist media.

I like the bags, by the way. Where did you get them??

Yeah, I think I'll have to just get two small bags. I can't get the media under the water when it's all in one big bag, it's just not flexible enough. The bags are from PetSmart, there were a $1.

Thanks for the advice!