My tank is dirty looking...opinions please

So my tank just looks dirty. It has brown algae, some green algae, and maybe even some black algae. The plants are withered and dying.

The first step I want to accomplish is to get rid of the algae. It's all over everything, and I try to scub it off but can't keep up. Would a snail last in cold water? Is scrubbing it off the best option? I use a small hand towel now but it is gross looking at this point as I try not to put it in the washing machine.

I bought some low light plants that should arrive next week. I have the aqueon light strip with the original bulbs. Should I upgrade the bulbs?

Here is a picture while I do a water change. Opinions accepted, I do not plan to change the sand or backgroundPosted Image

P.s I'll try to get a better photo after water change

I have 3 nerite snails in my 40 gallon and I love them. They eat brown algae for sure. I just started getting a little bit of green algae and I've seen them munching that also. I'm not sure on the black algae. The great thing about nerite snails is they need brackish water to reproduce so you won't end up with 100 snails. :rofl If your water is soft/low GH you'll want to throw in a cuttle bone (sold in pet stores by the bird stuff) and/or add calcium drops for their shells.

I use a soft cotton cloth every water change and wipe down my tank sides and front. I wash it after each use and just make sure to rinse it well before using it again. I have had no issues with this. :D

As far as lighting, I'm not really sure how good your light is for plants but if you're doing just low light plants I highly recommend the Marineland hidden LEDs.

http://www.marineland.com/Products/aquarium-lighting/LED-Aquarium-Lighting/freshwater-saltwater-reef-aquarium-led-lighting-system.aspx

They come in 2 sizes 17" and 21" and are very reasonably priced (you should be able to find them under $50). I got mine on sale at Petsmart but amazon carries them also, of course.

Hope that helps. :D

^ What Lisa said, and from what Ive read here it might just go away on its own. Some people also use bleach to clean plants/decor and then soak in Prime to remove the bleach before putting it back. Might delay growth for a little while longer. Ive never had Nerite snails but if I had a bloom I'd get some.. but make sure to get some calcium supplement if your water requires it because the last 2 snails I got died because I didnt supplement the water :(

Do you know what your GH is? If your water is hard then, you wouldn't need to add calcium supplements.

Many cities will have online water reports with a GH (general hardness) listed.

During the winter my tank runs in the low 70s. I'll see what I can find regarding temperatures for them. :D

Not sure what the GH is. I know they sell test kits for that. We have well water here and I believe the owner of the house adds (salt)? To make the water hard. That's what he tells me. Low 70's in the cold? You must live somewhere south of NY. Even in the summer my tank only gets to about a high of 74

Check out this website:

http://www.eliteinverts.com/zebra-nerite-snail/

Also, I got mine at Petco for about $3-4 each, I think. If you're not near a Petco, look on ebay. They have several varieties. If you're looking for something small that will clean up plant leaves, the horned nerites are good. What size is your tank and how many GF do you have?

Next time I need a new snail or two, I think I'll check out this seller. I love the variety.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-mixed-live-Nerite-Snails-Live-Freshwater-Aquarium-snails-/181197116770?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a30309562

Thanks. I'll check that seller out on eBay. The petcoro around here is horrific. The smart pet is ok but I won't go to the local petcoro.

My tank is 55 gallons with 2 medium goldfish. One is probably 5 inches and the other 2.5

There is plenty of algae for a snail to eat as this tank is about 1.5 years running since I last restarted it fresh.

I would probably get 3ish nerites then. Their bioload requires about 5 gallons each although I haven't really seen a drastic change to my water parameters since adding mine. :idont

Also you'll want to QT the snails for about 2 weeks. Nothing fancy. Just put them in some sort of container (I did mine in a spare 10 gallon), no meds, just 100% daily WCs to get any nasties out their shells. :D

I separate mine once a week for a separate feeding because my algae is nearly gone. Doesn't sound like you'll need to do that for a while. :teehee

If I buy 5, will I be overstocked? How much "bio load" am I adding?

I think if you did the "5 pack" you'll be fine. You know your tank better than I do. Watch your nitrates. I had 4 in my 40 with 3 fish and didn't have a problem (my fish are small though).

Also, they are escape artists. That's how I lost one of mine--even with a glass canopy he snuck out the back and I found him on the floor . . . :idont

Mine was looking that way too. A couple of nerites will help. If you get the five pack on ebay, you could put a couple in your other tank too.

Also, the bulb makers say bulbs should be replaced once a year because they lose power.

Dosing Excel can boost plant growth and fight algae too. I'm increasing my use to try to keep the algae under control.

That's a good idea I didn't think of putting them in my other tank. There's no visible algae in it so ill have to make adjustments.

I actually started using excel again, Shawnee you recommended that to me last year so I started using again 2 weeks ago.

The bulbs probably need replacing as its been over a year. More good advice thanks!

I feel as if I am the poster girl of snail overstocking, but I wouldn't worry about too much additional bioload with nerites. I QT'd three in 8 liters, testing every other and never saw... anything... These were nickel sized snails. I think that the 5 gallons thing must be based upon the needs of larger apple snails and the like.

I feel as if I am the poster girl of snail overstocking, but I wouldn't worry about too much additional bioload with nerites. I QT'd three in 8 liters, testing every other and never saw... anything... These were nickel sized snails. I think that the 5 gallons thing must be based upon the needs of larger apple snails and the like.

Suzanne, the bioload will also reflect how much they eat.

In QT, where you aren't giving them a whole lot to eat, of course they are not going to make a big dent in anything. In a tank with lots of food to eat, they will through that quickly, resulting in a lot more wastes...

The brown on the glass you can wipe off, and Susanne's suggestion of Nerites is a very good one. I loved them when I had them. :)

I've also filed a report to the mod team about the lighting. Someone more knowledgeable than I will arrive to help. Soon, I hope. :)

Hi!

I also have t5's, and most bulb makers will tell you that they need to be replaced every 6-9 months, in order to sustain proper plant life. The older bulbs could very well be why your plants are struggling, and the algae is taking over.

I'd just wipe the algae off the glass, replace your bulbs, and see how it goes. Are you dosing with ferts?