Sign in to follow this  
Balaylee

Watonai a fancy?

I haven't heard much about the Watonai breed of goldfish but they sure are gorgeous. I heard they are a cross between Ryukin and Wakin. I have a common goldfish and was wondering if a Watonai would be compatible. I know commons and fancies shouldn't mix but I'm not quite sure where this fish falls

3830a.jpg

Honestly the general rule of "commons and fancies shouldn't mix" is really a case-by-case thing. For example, I have two ryukins, an oranda, and a comet living together happily with no ill effect. I'd say that if you wanted a watonai you'd just have to judge your current fish. How quick do they swim? Are they proactive at feeding time? Are they in overall good health? If yes, then there's no problems really. :)

Watonais are just longer bodied fish with double tails, so I guess they lean more towards the "pond" type of fish. Fancies have deeper bodies. The double tail on the watonai should not slow them down much, as the deep body on a fancy will slow them down a bit more as they grow larger. Overall, fancies and single tails can be kept together under normal circumstances, yes.

Watonais are the perfect mix of fancy and single tail- I love them! :heart

I have never found the 'Don't mix fancies and singletails' thing to be true. It's mostly a greatly perpetuated myth. However single tails can be rougher spawning, but supervision should be given when any fish are spawning to ensure the female doesn't get injured. Watonais have long bodies and even longer tails and are beautiful fish. I wouldn't be worried about mixing them with fancies.

Beautiful fish! If you have space, you should get it!

While a longer tail slows a fish (comets are slower than commons) and a twin tail slows a fish (nymphs (single-tail fancies) swim faster than twin-tailed fancies) the main thing that slows a fish is a short fancy body. Nevertheless, the idea that feeding time is a race to the food and the faster the fish the more it eats doesn't stand up in real life. In fact the fish who are the most alert to where the food is and the most determined to get there eat most. Wherever she lives and whoever her pond/tank mates are, my pearlscale, Pearls, is the slowest swimmer and the first to the food.

My back pond contains my largest common, 3 large comets, 2 American shubunkins, a London shubunkin (my largest fish), 3 wakin, two fantails, and two orandas. All are fat and healthy.

The situation in which mixing fancies and long-bodied fish presents a problem is when you put female fancies in with an excess of male long-bodies. Spawning is hazardous (sometimes fatal) to female goldfish, particularly in a pond where there is likely to be more things for them to be banged against as the males push them. My males tend to prefer the largest and fattest females. In this situation, swimming speed makes a difference. My back pond contains only two mature males, so it is quite safe for all the girls.

Thanks for that! Really helped with my decision

My watonai is named princess cause she is slow moving and graceful. She has a smaller body similar to a comet as opposed to a common. (She is also from a feeder tank so not a bred true watonai) though i haven't weighed her this year yet.

She does not zoom around like some of the single tails I have. I also have a large (over 100 gm) common that is quite slow and doesn't zoom around either, I would definitely make it a fish by fish compatibility and not a breed by breed compatibility decision :)

While a longer tail slows a fish (comets are slower than commons) and a twin tail slows a fish (nymphs (single-tail fancies) swim faster than twin-tailed fancies) the main thing that slows a fish is a short fancy body. Nevertheless, the idea that feeding time is a race to the food and the faster the fish the more it eats doesn't stand up in real life. In fact the fish who are the most alert to where the food is and the most determined to get there eat most. Wherever she lives and whoever her pond/tank mates are, my pearlscale, Pearls, is the slowest swimmer and the first to the food.

I agree. I have 2 commons, but Georgia is HUGE compared to Goldie. Georgia is faster and stronger, but she also gets all excited and silly around feeding time and she misses half of what I put down! Goldie, OTOH, is patiently waiting just below Georgia and she deftly catches everything Georgia misses. Georgia ends up eating 80% of her food off the bottom, whereas Goldie catches most of hers in mid-water. They both get what they need!