Floating, Raggy Fins

FishyMandy

• Supporter

First, I made a thread about an algae problem in this tank, which can be found here

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/113156-horrible-slimey-persistent-algae/

For the last 3 days my betta has either been floating or lying on the bottom of the tank. His colours are faded and his fins are ragged looking. On the day it started I did a 100% water change (and killed my cycle in the process) trying to get rid of the algae, I had an idea it was BGA and I had seen people elsewhere saying it was harmful and that freaked me out. The day I did the water change, I stupidly forgot to add Prime and didn't realize until 30 or so hours later. I added Prime yesterday and the ammonia was high today, so until I get to do a water change this afternoon I added a little more (less than the regular dose for the tank)

• Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level (tank): 0.5
  • * Nitrite Level (tank): 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tank): 0
  • * Ammonia Level (Tap): 0
  • * Nitrite Level (Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level (Tap) 0
  • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.6
  • Tank information:
  • * Brand of test kit (drops or strips): API Drops
  • * Filter name and size (GPH/LPH) 350/lph
  • * Additives and conditioners: Prime
  • * Water temperature (With or without heater- please specify): I broke my digital thermometer, the stupid stick on thermometer says 28c, but that was normally 1-2 degrees higher than my digital so It could be around 26-27. With heater.
  • * Last water change date: 31/9/13
  • * Tank size (Gallons or litres): 25 litres - I've had the algae problem since I set up the tank and have been doing 100% water changes once a week.
  • * Fish in the tank (species and number):1 Crowntail betta
  • * Any new fish added into the tank:No
  • -If Yes: Were they quarantined? N/A
  • -If Yes: Quarantine period and process (meds added): N/A
  • * List prior health issues in tank: None with this fish, fish before it have always ended up with their fins rotting away, even when the test results come back perfect. Between each fish I've always changed all the decor and cleaned everything.
  • * Medications previously added to the tank: None with this fish
  • * Medications on hand: Pimafix, Melafix, Metro, Aquarium Salt, Epsom Salt
    • * Diet- brand and amount/duration of feeding: Marine Plus Betta Granules, 1-2 times a day, what he eats in a minute
    • * Any unusual behaviour such as nipping, bottom sitting, etc: Alternating between bottom sitting and floating. He is eating well and perks up at feeding time.
    • * Any unusual findings on fish and in tank: Persistent Blue Green Algae all over the tank
    • * Affected fish in quarantine or in main tank: Main Tank
    • * Current medications being used on affected fish: None
    • * Previous medications used to treat affected fish: None
    • * If any, list previous health issues and treatment protocols taken:) N/A
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1230079_10151671610743019_1538461466_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1230079_10151671610743019_1538461466_n.jpg

This was him 2 months ago

• https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1003081_10151671610613019_1982673021_n.jpg

Add cycled media direct from the goldfish tank and keep up with the water changes. Since you didn't condition and are having ammonia issues, I would say that is the cause, but I'll come back soon and have a better read

Ok, I'd actually like you to QT him if possible with a heater and small airstone and just maintain that tank. If you do have something around 20L that would be great. Keep light minimal to help with stress. Could you take a top view photo? He looks a little bloated from side view.

With the cyanoabacteria issue, if it is building up extremely quickly and becoming an issue, you can strip down the tank and bleach everything, then start the cycle again with already cycled media. Since your betta will be in a QT this won't affect him. It is honestly the easiest option rather than trying to manage the stuff if it is a big issue.

• Supporter

Gah I just added cycled media from my GF tank haha. But I will see if I can find something a suitable size for QT, and a suitable spot so I don't annoy my dad with the tubs around the house again, he has being getting really annoyed with all my fish stuff lately =/

I'm sorry your Betta isn't doing well. Whenever I did a qt I've never used a filter. Be prepared to do wc every other day if not daily. I'll let a mod give you your instructions though for your case. I wish your little fish to get well soon.

• Supporter

Ok Guys, sorry.I haven't just ignored this. Just..had a few problems lately.

I've got him in a plain tank with just one hiding place and an airstone and heater. I only have the huge air pumps I use for my big tanks so I put it on the lowest setting and knotted the hose a few times. He isn't looking too good, and he has lost A LOT of weight despite how much he eats. You can really see how skinny he is from the top.

He was skinny when I got him, but he put the weight on, now he is losing it quickly and not putting it on

1238222_10151676025188019_1626594586_n.j

1186933_10151676027328019_1112993664_n.j

1175715_10151676025178019_1453863106_n.j

He spends almost all day hiding now, And takes a long time to come out when I'm near the tank. Normally if he was hiding he would be straight out as soon as I'm near the tank :( He isn't floating anymore, just stays in his cave 99% of the time

If Shaun doesn't make it I wont be getting anymore bettas...

Edited by FishyMandy

In that last picture, I think I can see some scale lifting. The first top picture has smoothed him out since it looks like he's moved during the pic. Can you tell me if the scales are lifted or look rough? The should be completely smooth

ok, that's good to know.

Could you please salt at 0.05% for tonight then bring it up to 0.1% tomorrow

do you have metronidazole on hand at all? No need for it at this point in time, but just want to check

yep, as long as it's pure rock salt and no additives (like saxa rock salt- the blue bags in the supermarket)

0.05% is 1tsp per 2 litres of water so you could just make up a 0.1% solution (1tsp per 1litre) and add half tonight and half tomorrow. Just be sure to mix it really well before adding half so the salt is evenly diluted

• Supporter

He is up to 0.1% salt now. Not much change so far. It takes him a while to respond when I'm near the tank and he still spends 99% of his time hiding, but generally if I'm near the tank he will come out and swim around a bit

Ok, thanks for the update. Can you get your hands on parasite guard? It has praziquantel and metronidazole in it. Should sell at your local pet/fish shop but give them a call first to save the trip if they don't.

How many metronidazole tabs do you have and what concentration (200mg, 400mg)? Might be able to go with an alternative. You can add metronidazole directly to the water and prazi at the same time, but I'll have to check the dosages for metronidazole into the water for bettas. I think it's 10-25mg metronidazole per 1 litre of water, but might be a little lower. I haven't had a need to dose it to the water for a betta in over a year

I still would like to see how he goes with another day since he hasn't been in the 0.1% salt for long at all. It's just hard to gauge since from my experience when they start to show symptoms they're already pretty far along :(

• Supporter

I have two tablets left, they are 200mg. I have some food left in the freezer that had 2 tablets per 40 grams. I don't know about bettas and gel food though, and with how small he is it would probably be easier to add it to the water anyway :P

I'll be sure to give another update tomorrow

Actually that's great! Definitely be a lot more efficient feeding orally than just through the water, but unless you have a scale that weighs under 1 gram, you'll have to estimate 1% of his body-weight which can go either way, since you don't want to be giving him substandard dosage amounts.

If it is repashy gel food made at the 1:3 ratio, I can take a picture of the weight for you and you can go off of that

• Supporter

Ok, will do :) Will I be following the normal prazi schedule?

Also, I have to admit that I've never used Prazi before, when I add it do I just drop the tablet in? When I add more (I believe its 50% water change and salt one day and the next day another 50% change and prazi?) do I just add another whole tablet?

Edited by FishyMandy

Crush up and mix the tablet amount you need in some water before adding, and it will pretty much look like snow when you poor it into the tank :P

A. FIVE DAY ROUNDS
Day 1: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.
Day 5: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.
Day 6: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.
Day 10: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.
Day 11: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.
Day 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.
Day 16: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.
Day 20: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.