Sign in to follow this  
cynthiaT

Help! New Ranchu not eating and swimming lopsided!

Yeah, I planned to scoop the ranchu into a big measuring cup and transfer him to a bucket of prepared water while I fixed up the hospital tub. Should I add another dose of Kanaplex? I'm thinking no.....

Ken emailed! I felt pretty relieved, to hear from him. Anyway, he thinks the odd swimming might be due to getting banged around in shipping. As for lack of diet, not sure.hopefully things change in the morning. Talk to you tomorrow!

I do not think that you need Kanaplex, no. :)

I'm sorry your new fish isn't doing good but glad to hear that you've done some stuff with the help of others suggestions. I hope your fish will be feeling much better tomorrow.

Hi,

I've raised the ph to 7.5 and he seems to be more active, less sitting at the bottom with only his gills moving to show he's alive. He is still not eating, which is worrying. Ken thought that he might not have recognized the peas as food, but he hasn't touched the Soilent green either. Ken also thinks that he was bruised internally, which would account for his odd swimming. I have no idea how to help with that, or the not eating.

Would you be able to upload a video for us?

Just make sure to keep the pH at 7.4-7.5, and to add baking soda to the water and let it sit before you add to the tank during water changes. :)

Internal bruising will hopefully heal on its own. There isn't much we can do about that, and I don't think that antibiotics is quite warranted. Having said that, it might be good to order the following, just to have on hand:

1. Medi-Gold and Metro-Meds from goldfishconnection.com. These are amazing medicated foods, and can be lifesavers.

2. Kanaplex and Metronidazole. Both are powders, and can be used in cases where the fish won't eat.

As for him not eating, ask Ken what he would recommend to feed that he might recognize, but I am thinking you should try some pellets. Soak them in garlic even to make them more attractive. :)

Hi Dnalex,

I made a little video:

I'm waiting to hear back from Ken to see what to give him to eat. I tested the water before putting him back into the tub (7.5). He seems like he's swimming a little better, but mostly he just sits at the bottom. I tried the garlic, he didn't want it. The other goldfish ate it in 2 seconds! Ok, back to painting.

Thank you for the video!

Could you please check for me to see if there are any prickly scales on him/her? I don't think I see any from the video, but I want to make absolutely sure.

I looked at his body, but I don't see anything. His patterning from above gives a pine cone illusion, which startles me until I have a closer look. This poor fish has been probably been stared at more this week than has his whole life.

That's fantastic! I just wanted to make sure. How is his appetite?

Let's try soaking some frozen blood worms in garlic for him.

Hey! He ate some blood worms and a little bit of gel food! I think he's getting better. I think fixing the ph really helped! Thanks so much! I will update again.

Hey! He ate some blood worms and a little bit of gel food! I think he's getting better. I think fixing the ph really helped! Thanks so much! I will update again.

I'm glad to hear it! Fins crossed for him! :)

I took this video with my camera....i think its sucky compared to my iphone! He swims around when I approach. He's eating a little gel food and blood worms.

Definitely improving! :thumbs: