Sign in to follow this  
cynthiaT

Help! New Ranchu not eating and swimming lopsided!

Hi there,

Sorry to introduce myself so abruptly, but I'm scared for my new ranchu Hiro. I received him from Dandy Oranda on August 28 and I thought he was just recovering from shipment, but he is still sluggish. He ate a little gel food on the first day, but hasn't touched anything since. He mostly just sits on the bottom of the hospital tub and when he does swim, it's with a rocky lopsided motion. I've tried to give him peas, but he won't eat them. I noticed he had clear stringy poop on the second day, but nothing since.

We moved him to a 16 gal. qt tub filled with 10 gal. of water from a 55 gallon tank that held plants and two small goldfish last night. The water in the tub is treated with Kanaplex because we thought it might be a bacterial issue and he had a torn fin. Here are the stats of the hospital tub:

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tank) 0

* Nitrate level(Tank) o

* Ammonia Level(Tap) 0

* Nitrite Level(Tap)

* Nitrate level(Tap)

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)6.5

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API strips and drops

* Water temperature? 72

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? He was in a 55 gal running about a month with established media

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqua top canister filter

* How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly 75%

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 3 days

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 goldfish ( 3"-4" oranda and ryukin and a 4" ranchu)

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Stress coat

* What do you feed your fish and how often? Soilent green gel food, fresh veggies, blood worms

* Any new fish added to the tank? Ranchu

* Any medications added to the tank? Kanaplex and garlic juice to hospital tub

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. 1 dose of Kanaplex, 1 tbsp. of garlic juice

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Torn fin, probably from shipment

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Staying at the bottom and not swimming

Also, I shot a quick video to show his movement:

Would you please check the rest of your tap levels? Thanks.

Have you contacted Ken at DO?

Did you test your pH with drops or strips? :idont

Sorry to hear that your fish is sick! Are you using RO water in your tanks? Are the GH/KH of the tank water also zero?

Thanks. Im pretty nerve wracked. No I'm using tap water, but we live in the mountains and its fairly pure. The GH is between 0 and 30 and KH is 0 - 40. I'm using the strips so its a little harder to get accurate readings.

Sorry to hear you new fish isn't doing so good. Good luck bringing him back to health :hug

Uh oh! I think your video is private.

I hope you can figure out what's gong on and that he recovers quickly. Hang in there!

Hello,

I'm sorry your chu is not doing well, and I have several comments/suggestions:

1. Since you've already added Kanaplex, there is nothing to do now while the medicine continues its course. Please make sure that there is no toxins in the water, and change out 100% of the water every 2 days and redose.

2. Contacting Ken is very important. I have no doubt he will get back to you, and since the fish is newly received, it's important to get him input. We will of course provide support here as well, so please don't think we are leaving you in the lurch.

3. As Rob/schoolie pointed out, your water is very acidic and very very soft. This is actually not a very good situation. Is it possible for you to get some sort of storage drum for water, so that you can treat it to bring up the pH, kH, and gH? I am more than happy to help with this.

4. I wasn't able to view the video. It's set on private. If you could change the settings, that would be great.

Thanks everyone! I am testing the ph with strips. I bought some crushed shells to put in the tank, as it seems to help my other 55 gal. That tank is 7 on the ph. Also, I dose with calcium for my mystery snails that live in the tank. I have to admit, I was disappointed that Ken hasn't responded at all. I read over the acclimation guide and followed all the instructions. Anyway, I will try again.

We've had several members test pH with strips and get low results and when they used the API drop pH test it was higher. I wonder if that would be the case here . . . :idont

I hope you hear from Ken soon. :D

Absolutely gorgeous.. I love his colors. Sorry he's not well and hope you figure it out.

Thanks! I think he's beautiful too. I'm just so worried. I've been going over everything in my mind, trying to figure out if I missed something. I've been staring at his tub and searching the Internet, freaking myself out.

If it was me, I'd get a drop test for pH to confirm it is actually that low and perhaps contact your city water dept and see if they have numbers for KH and GH. A pH of 6.5 is too low for GF.

If your pH is truly 6.5 and your KH and GH are so low, I'd take Alex up on his offer to help bring those parameters up to a more GF friendly level. :D

I will go to the pet store tomorrow and get another test. My other 55 gal. has harder water. I add calcium and shells because there are snails that need harder water. Should I do a wc and add calcium or some crushed coral? I don't have a drum to store water in, but I would like to know how to get the water to better levels.

I will go to the pet store tomorrow and get another test. My other 55 gal. has harder water. I add calcium and shells because there are snails that need harder water. Should I do a wc and add calcium or some crushed coral? I don't have a drum to store water in, but I would like to know how to get the water to better levels.

Let's get the API freshwater master kit tomorrow, and we go from there, OK?

For tonight, do you have baking soda? If you do, please go to my link about adding baking soda, and add enough to raise the kH by 50ppm for your size tank. I'd like for the pH to be at least 7. :)

Ok thanks! I'm going to do it right now. My friend that has fish mentioned that the water is much harder in the Midwest than in Asheville.

My GH and KH are so good, Alex is jealous. :teehee

He's a genius at getting those numbers where they need to be though as he deals with it in his own tanks. :D

Ok thanks! I'm going to do it right now. My friend that has fish mentioned that the water is much harder in the Midwest than in Asheville.

Goldfish typically should be fine in even very soft waters, but for ideal health, we should really have pH not less than 7 and kH/gH between 100-150ppm. For nearly half a year now, I have also paid much closer attention to the gH in the tank, and I think it's paying off. :)

Edit:

It is true that the kH and gH in Lisa's city is just about perfect. :)

Edited by dnalex

Alright! I dissolved some baking soda in a measuring cup ( my husband measured it out a gram scale) and I'm adding it into the air stone a little at a time. My fingers are crossed. Should I do a 100% wc in the morning?

You can, but only if you can have a container that you can put the water in and dissolve some baking soda first. If you check your tank pH in about 30 minutes, you will find that's probably 7.4 or so.

So, with that versus tap of 6, it's not possible to do a 100% WC without first raising tap pH.