Most Definitaly Sick This Time

xjasminex

I think so, I'll maintain the 0.3% for what another week?

I know they arnt displaying symptoms, but I have never prazi'ed them in the six years or so that I have had them...I do have prazi though on hand. And I'm planning on redoing their tank hopefully soon, replacing the dirt and sand with possibly eco complete and Tahitian moon sand and they will be hanging out in their old thirty gallon so it would be the optimum time to do it.

Is there anything more i can do for the tear in her fin?

Anything else you think I should do otherwise?

Thanks!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will be a good idea to prazi them once or twice, although the good news is that if in 6 years they aren't displaying symptoms, it's very unlikely that they have any, or any appreciable, fluke burdens.

Have you ever done a salt dip? For raggedy tail issues, that might be just the thing.

Never have i ever done one...it sounds terrifying, lol.

But if you tell me what to do i can do one on sunday....tomorrow...errr...today.

I will familiarize myself with the prazi treatments, i know i have seen them around here, can you point me to the one you prefer, please and thank you!

One more question, do flukes inhabit the filters/tank?

It would seem to me that since they are parasites, that being with out a host long would kill them, and given that my fish have not exhibited symptoms, they probably are not there. Anyhow, seeing as though i will probably be treating with prazi just to be sure of anything, that i should go all the way and make sure that they are taken care of in all places, fish, filters and the rest of the tank. That is if they do live in such places as the filters and tank.

Thanks!!

For prazi, I use Prazipro, because it's already in liquid form, and so saves me the trouble of having to try to dissolve the powder (I'm lazy! :rofl). There is some anecdotal evidence that the powder might work better/be more effective, but in my experience, it really hasn't made much of a difference between the two. The simplest way of doing treatment is to add it on water change day, and then add again after the next water change, provided that your WCs are bigger than 50%, and is within the range of every 5-7 days. The reason is that prazi is active for about 3-4 days, and then we try to let the things go without for a couple of days before starting the next round. You can even dose monthly for a few months if you like. In this case, I think 2 rounds is more than sufficient. :)

Directions for salt dip

SALT DIP
1. dissolve 30 teaspoons salt/gallon of water (30 grams/Liter, or 113.7g/gallon). This concentration is 3%. Let it match the temp/pH of the tank, and make sure to add de-chlorinator. You can also use tank water, but because you are adding a lot of salt per gallon, you will need to heat up the water. Hence, it's crucial that you cool it back down.
2. prepare a holding tank. This is a tank that is pH/temp matched with the main tank, and has been de-chlorinated. This can be a 5 gallon tub, with bubblestone, or something bigger.
3. make sure you have some sort of timer
4. gently lift the fish out of the tank, and place into temp/pH matched salt solution.
5. start timer.
6. if the fish stays continues to stay upright, or tilts over but can get back up, keep him/her in the salt solution for exactly 5 minutes.
7. remove fish from the salt, and place in holding tank. The reason why we do this is to: 1) give the fish a place to recover by him/herself, and 2)to let the fish purge out ammonia/wastes in a place that is not the main tank.
8. if the fish starts to lose balance and cannot get back before the minutes, remove him/her and place in holding tank, as described in #6.
9. after 1-2 hours, the fish can be moved back to the main tank. He/She might still be disoriented, but should be fine.

One more question, do flukes inhabit the filters/tank?

It would seem to me that since they are parasites, that being with out a host long would kill them, and given that my fish have not exhibited symptoms, they probably are not there. Anyhow, seeing as though i will probably be treating with prazi just to be sure of anything, that i should go all the way and make sure that they are taken care of in all places, fish, filters and the rest of the tank. That is if they do live in such places as the filters and tank.

Thanks!!

Flukes don't inhabit the filters/tanks for any appreciable length of time. They could probably be without the host (the fish) for a couple of weeks to a few months (in winter) as eggs, but that's it.

However, they can be chronically present on the fish forever, and their numbers might be modulated based on the health status of the host fish.

Alright, sounds like i have work to do tomorrow!

So for prazi, let me make sure i properly understand...

I add the allotted amount to the tank with a water change (round one), then do another large (over 50%) 5-7 days later and add the same amt again (round two)

then im done and continue to do water changed as needed/as is normal for me.

Alright, sounds like i have work to do tomorrow!

So for prazi, let me make sure i properly understand...

I add the allotted amount to the tank with a water change (round one), then do another large (over 50%) 5-7 days later and add the same amt again (round two)

then im done and continue to do water changed as needed/as is normal for me.

Exactly!

I do want you to have some broad spectrum waterborne antibiotic around though, just in case in the unlikely event they catch a secondary bacterial infection.

Something like kanamycin or oxolinic acid would be fine. OR, triple sulfa.

Really, any broad spectrum antibiotic than can by easily used in the water would be OK. I think even the amox should be fine.

So i need to buy more salt before i do the salt dip, ill buy two bag this time!

I plan to do a water change too sometime today so to maintain the salt at the 0.3%, i will def need more salt.

But first i must shower....

Just finished with the salt bath, she stayed for the entire five mins.

She is now in the holding bucket to chill out.

I am currently doing a water change so when she goes back in it will be all clean water for her.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to give an update on my goldie.

I have noticed more small red spots on her here and there but they come and go, some on her tail and some on her head area close to where they were previously.

I have been really working hard to keep the nitrates down until i am able to redo the tank and get the dirt substrate out. I dont believe they have exceeded more than 30ppms at any time, more often they are lower around 10ppms.

Today she only has one itty red spot a little in front of her dorsal fin.

I also came home to this morning to some big long icky poo's....

f00d58f6974410d16ddf60f72927a80c_zps43b0

ef3d4748665ebb6ac5569e6c362039ec_zps841b

No microscope, but i do plan to do two rounds of prazi with these guys soon just in case.

I also observed her pooping yesterday later and it all looked normal...short plump poops.

I havent seen my other goldfish poop yet, so i will be keeping an eye on him.

Every once in a while i see simular looking poops but its never consistent and not often, but this one was just so huge!

Alex, i stopped the salt a few days ago, should i restart it?

Water parameters look good, did another water change yesterday and nitrates before were around 10ppm and i change about 80 percent of the water, so i reads 0ppm when i retested it.

Edited by xjasminex