Sign in to follow this  
shakaho

Want a really cheap, big, temporary pond?

I went to Big Lots because they were discounting the Intex swimming pools. The only one I have room for is the smallest, 8' in diameter and 30" deep. This regularly sells for $40 there, which is much cheaper than elsewhere. They were at half price, and $20 was a great deal for that much water. When I checked out, I found the half price had been halved again, so I got it for $10. They also had the larger steel-framed pools that were similarly reduced, and these are large enough that some people use them for their koi.

I don't know if these sale prices are just local or whether they are available more widely. It's worth a check if you are thinking about a pond for next spring.

I wish that they had gallon measurements on them so I knew how many fish I could have in them!

They have them on the box (but apparently in Imperial gallons). You can calculate it easily: surface area(ft2) x height (ft) x 7.5 = volume in gallons. You can also go to a pond volume calculator.

If only!

Laminated means separate layers fastened together, and pvc is the plastic that water pipes are made of. The cheaper types of pond liner are made of pvc. It's serviceable pond liner, but subject to UV deterioration after several years, which is why this is a "temporary" pond.

Temporary outside but may last longer inside!? I am looking for a cheap pool for me and a tub for my 25 fancy fry.

I've heard people say they have had one of these running for 5 years and going strong.

I'm building a 3, 000gal pind right now for $120 total but if I had saw your deals I would have probably done that lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I'm building a 3, 000gal pind right now for $120 total but if I had saw your deals I would have probably done that lol.

Wow you must have found some great deals! What did you get for that?

Your pond is permanent, Daniel. (Put a thread on this forum, please!) I'm pretty sure one of these pools would have to be emptied for at least part of the winter in TN.

Lol yeah I need to. But since I went to work I've not got it done. :donthit:

Just copy and paste the posts about the pond build that you have posted elsewhere. :)