Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level 0

* Nitrite Level 0

* Nitrate level 10

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.8

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

* Water temperature? 86 (been real hot lately)

* Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 60 gals / 14months

* What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 1 aquaclear 70, 1 resun canister 500gph

* How often do you change the water and how much? 60% weekly

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Today 100%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 large pompom oranda, 1 med ranchu, 1 med oranda, 2 med lionheads, 2 bn plecos

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime

* What do you feed your fish and how often? 2x day repashy soilent green

* Any new fish added to the tank? no

* Any medications added to the tank? No

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. all had prazi and salt in qt, reprazied the whole tank around february and salt treatment for ich back then and back in may tank was reprazied and had melafix for a couple of weeks for fin rot.

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Clarence one of my lionheads has a big lump on his right side, scales are raised over lump and it looks red underneath.

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? They're all their normal food hogging selves, the affected lionhead is swimming a little awkwardly - but eating normally.

Hi again! It just seems I've been coming up here just for help lately :( This time it's Clarence - one of my lionheads... Two days ago one of his side scales looked a little raised - I didn't think it was an issue because I've seen raised scales (not pineconing) on my fish before and it was a temperature related thing. Today I noticed a bulge that developed in less than 2 days over that same area and looks red underneath.

His behaviour is somewhat normal - except he seems to be swimming a little tail up- thought he was being floaty and fed greenbeans ... Now I think it's related to this bump he has... :(

I felt the bump and it felt soft, mushy even compared to the rest of his body...

I'll be setting up a QT tank with 1% salt to put him in tomorrow (my spare filter broke and am out of air pumps...) after a trip to petsmart.

Should I get anything else for him? What should I do?

Thanks!

Here are some pics:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by KrystalPR

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks like a pretty deep cyst. Go ahead and move him to QT. No need to salt the QT tank just yet, but it's good to have the salt on hand and ready to go.

Do you have any meds on hand already?

Would you be able to order metro meds from goldfish connection? If not, you could try to grab some metronidazole powder locally.

I am not certain that we will need any meds, often these cysts either burst or are reabsorbed on their own, but it will be good to have some on hand just in case. The salt will be needed if/when the cyst bursts.

Move him to QT when you are able and keep the water conditions as pristine as possible :)

Ordered the MM but am afraid they won't get here on time :( His scales all look a bit raised now - I think he's started to pinecone a little! :( he's very active as usual though - at least he's got that going for him...

His eyes today look a little popped out - not so yesterday...

Here's a pic from this morning before moving him to the QT tank...

Posted Image

Need help :(

Edited by KrystalPR

Yes I can - but it'd have to be tomorrow :( how do I proceed with Metronidazole tabs?

Dissolve it, and add 200 mg per 10 gallons. Do 100% WC every two days and redose. Hopefully the MMs will come sooner rather than later. :)

Yes I can - but it'd have to be tomorrow :( how do I proceed with Metronidazole tabs?

Dissolve it, and add 200 mg per 10 gallons. Do 100% WC every two days and redose. Hopefully the MMs will come sooner rather than later. :)

Thanks Alex you're always a life saver :)

:( I'm sorry

Have you received tracking info from goldfish connection by chance?

Is he still eating? Do you still have powdered metro? If you still have some powdered metro on hand we can actually make some food with it to feed until the MMs arrive. You will need the powdered metro a scale and gel food (either homemade or a premix like repashy).

Are you treating with Epsom salt?

Good call Lisa! :D

Please do add 1/4 tsp per 10 gallons of epsom salt to the tank as well. This should help some with the bloating. You can get epsom salt at any pharmacy/grocery store. Just make sure it is plain (no perfumes, dyes etc.) Dissolve in a little tank water before adding.

When you do your water changes you will need to replace the amount of epsom you took out (so for example if you added 1/2 tsp, and you do a 50% water change, you would add back in 1/4 tsp)

:( I'm sorry

Have you received tracking info from goldfish connection by chance?

Is he still eating? Do you still have powdered metro? If you still have some powdered metro on hand we can actually make some food with it to feed until the MMs arrive. You will need the powdered metro a scale and gel food (either homemade or a premix like repashy).

I only have a notice that the mm shipped on tuesday. I think they should be here hopefully by Saturday, Monday at the latest.

I do have some Metro pills and repashy is the only thing my goldies eat... What are the instructions to follow to prepare medicated food with repashy?

I have metro dissolved in the water right now - can I add epsom salt? How much for the 10g qt?

yes, you can add 1/4 tsp to the QT.

Let me get back to you about the ratios of metro to gel food

Adding epsom salt right now!

Thanks so much tithra for all your help - it's very stressful watching him blow up like that :( He's always been such a fun and active little guy!

Do you know how many mg the tablets are that you have?

For the gel food the metro should be 1% of the wet weight of the gel food. So, if you are making 100 grams of food, 99 grams should be repashy, and 1 gram should be metro. You will need a scale to weigh out the food along with the fish, do you have one available?

yes, you can add 1/4 tsp to the QT.

Let me get back to you about the ratios of metro to gel food

Adding epsom salt right now!

Thanks so much tithra for all your help - it's very stressful watching him blow up like that :( He's always been such a fun and active little guy!

I'm sorry :( I know how hard it is to be waiting on meds and feel like you can't do anything. I am glad they have at least shipped. Hopefully we can get him through the next few days. The fact that he is still eating is a good sign.

Do you know how many mg the tablets are that you have?

For the gel food the metro should be 1% of the wet weight of the gel food. So, if you are making 100 grams of food, 99 grams should be repashy, and 1 gram should be metro. You will need a scale to weigh out the food along with the fish, do you have one available?

I do - the tablets are 500mg - I'll do the math :)

How much should I feed him once its done?

Awesome! let us know if you need any help with the math. I am terrible at math but I will attempt to help my best :P

If you have a scale you can weight him in grams (scoop him up in a tupperware of water and weigh him on the scale in it).

You will feed 1% of his body weight in food daily. (this will be the same for the MMs when they arrive)

Ok so I made a batch of 50g of food with 500mg of metro inside.

I weighed Clarence in at 58g so ~0.5-0.6g daily feedings of metro gel food for the little guy...

I think I hurt him a bit while moving him to be weighed - wiggled a lot while being transferred :( Hopefully the redness will go away...

Posted Image

Edited by KrystalPR