Dropsy symptoms worse and white pus. I don't know what else to do.

broccoli

My big fish, the calico, has had signs of dropsy for a long time (slight pinecone) and I've tried an all in one treatment with with him (Tetra Life guard all in one). He's floated upside down before, but usually he is fine, but lately he's belly up constantly. I haven't cured the dropsy with what I've tried before, but I've kept it under control. Now, not so much. What should I do?

My little fish, when I did the first pimafix and melafix treatment three weeks ago, he started getting white bumps on him that explode with white pus, and then bleed a little and leave red, scaleless marks on him. I have no idea where that came from. I was putting medicine in the tank, why did he get sick. I've never had problems with that fish before.

I've tried Metro-med, pimafix, melafix, salt (but not a salt bath, considering that). I'm also considering getting a UV sterilizer, would that help?

I don't know how to post pics, but I am going to work on that.

Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) n/a
  • * Nitrite Level(Tank)0
  • * Nitrate level(Tank) 0
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap)
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap) 20
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 6.5 pH, GH = 120, KH= 180
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5 pH, GH=180, KH= 240
  • Other Required Info:
    • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API 5 in 1 strips
    • * Water temperature? 76
    • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 12 gallons since June 2012
    • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?
    • * How often do you change the water and how much? 20- 50 % water change weekly
    • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Last change was 7 days ago (due for another one today)
    • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish, 1.5 in. and 3 in.
    • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Stress Coat
    • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Pro Gold, once/day in the morning and the occasional kale/lettuce leaf/peas
    • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
    • * Any medications added to the tank? melafix and pimafix
    • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Salt, for a week every few months. melafix and pimafix for seven days (started again 3 days ago), metro meds for 14 days (about 3 weeks ago)
    • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? My little fish started getting lumps on him that burst then white stuff coming out of them, and a little blood. My big fish has had dropsy symptoms (slight pinecone) for a long time, and usually I can keep him from floating upside down, but lately he's been floating belly up almost constantly.
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No behavior changes.

Aha! I figured it out. Now, if I can just figure out how to heal my fish!

The top pic is my tank in happier times.

The bottom picture is my little fish with the white stuff coming out of him. He gets swollen and kinda lumpy and then his scales bump up in one spot and then the white stuff comes out. What's going on? Help!

• Supporter

as well as the overhead pictures that teleSC requested, could you also give us a more detailed meds history.. ie, name the med and then tell us how you treated and for how long. this will help us to understand if your fish have been either overmedicated or under medicated.

right now, I would not be buying a UV as for some treatments, the UV will need to be switched off. lets concentrate first on restoring the health of your fish before you make any unnecessary purchases.

I think this is a lesson to me to keep a log of medication and when I use it, but I have a pretty good idea because I haven't done it that much.

July 2012-Tetra Lifeguard all in one treatment. 2 tablets for 5 days. I used this when I first noticed the big fish (before I ever had little fish)was fat with kinda poking out scales.

I have put API Aquarium salt in from time to time when I do water changes just to help with electrolytes/ heard it was good to do for fish. I didn't use it as a treatment per se. I only do this every few months for a week.

July 17-23- API Melafix and Pimafix for seven days. 5ml of each, each day. (I have a 12 gallon tank, and it says 5ml per 10 gallons.)

Aug 1, 2013- Metro meds, fed once a day in the morning, for 14 days as directed.

Aug 19, 2013- another round of melafix and pimafix started. Today, 9/1 is day 4.

Of metro meds, I fed 5-6 pellets once per day. I don't have any previous threads about them. This is really my first time posting.

I went ahead and ordered the API freshwater master kit for testing my water.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry for your loss.

I just have to say that an Edge is a terrible tank for goldfish. Not only is 12g too small for a goldfish (20g is the minumum recommended), the shape allows for little horizontal swimming space, the small surface area might not keep the tank oxygenated for goldfish, and the filtration is sorely lacking for these big poopers.

Little Fish ended up dying on Sept. 8th. :( It's just Big Fish now.

I'm so sorry :(

How is the big fish doing now?

I agree with others, the Edge is really not a good goldfish tank. (but would make an excellent tank for a single betta!)

Do you have resources to upgrade to a 20-40 gallon? Current stocking guidelines for goldfish are 15-20 gallons per fish, with ideally 20 gallon minimum for a single fish. 30-40 gallons if you'd like two fish.